PDA

View Full Version : Question for Peppermill Makers

Dave Fritz
03-28-2016, 9:12 AM
What have you found to be the most stable finish on pepper mills made of cherry, walnut or maple? I've been using WOP but some I gave my kids several years ago are beginning to look a little worn. I wonder if lacquer or an oil would have held up better?

Thanks.

Aaron Craven
03-28-2016, 11:11 AM
I can't speak to longevity because I only made my first set this year, but I chose an oil (walnut oil) finish primarily because it can be easily refreshed if necessary (and I liked the idea of an all-natural finish for something that will get handled while eating). I have one grinder made of cherry and one made of walnut. Both turned out very attractive and have held up well so far.

Quinn McCarthy
03-28-2016, 11:35 AM
I use general finishes Enduro var on pepper and salt mills. It isssn't cheap but lasts a long time. Has 45 min water andc acetone rating. So it will last in the kitchen. I wouldn't use any oils unllesss it is to make the grain stand out Like BLO and put several coats of enduro vaaaaar over the oil. I wouldn't use lacquer either just not tough enough in the kitchen.

I hope that helps Dave.

Quinn

John King
03-28-2016, 3:39 PM
Use a finishing oil - Liberon Finishing Oil, Waterlox or similar. Stands up to use/abuse much better than hard finishes - lacquer, wipe-on poly and similar. And if the mill gets a little banged up, repeat application of finishing oil and the nicks/dings suddenly become character marks. - John

BILL DONAHUE
03-28-2016, 8:58 PM
I've used satin WOP over Danish oil and have used the same peppermill for close to ten years now.

Lee Watermann
03-28-2016, 10:36 PM
I use seven coats of lacquer and three coats of automotive wax. Only one year but they look great.

Peter Fabricius
03-28-2016, 11:23 PM
Hi Dave,
I have successfully used Minwax Tung Oil and have some mills used daily for over two years now.
Peter F.

Richard Casey
03-29-2016, 7:26 AM
I use seven coats of lacquer and three coats of automotive wax. Only one year but they look great.
Dave, this is what I use down here as well.
Rgds,
Richard.

ALAN HOLLAR
03-29-2016, 8:41 AM
WOP or lacquer will stand up to wear for a long time if the film is thick enough. The nature of both is to go on thin, so 5 or 6 or seven coats may be needed to get enough of a film to be really durable. Precat lacquer will be tougher and hold up better. Automotive lacquers are tough as well, but the gloss is a bit high for my taste, and you will still need several coats to build a film thick enough to wear well for a lot of handling.

Dave Fritz
03-29-2016, 9:40 AM
Thank you so much for the excellent information.

Robert Willing
03-29-2016, 10:05 AM
Use a finishing oil - Liberon Finishing Oil, Waterlox or similar. Stands up to use/abuse much better than hard finishes - lacquer, wipe-on poly and similar. And if the mill gets a little banged up, repeat application of finishing oil and the nicks/dings suddenly become character marks. - John

I use Waterlox as well, tried others and they did not last.

jared parson
03-30-2016, 12:20 AM
My go to pepper mill was finished with Generals Salad Bowl Finish, many coats. It will build up to a very hard, durable finish. Has to be close to 5 years now, and theres no sign of wear after near daily use.