PDA

View Full Version : Calling Rachel at Card Services

Bruce Wrenn
03-27-2016, 9:52 PM
Last week at BIL's house we were discussing getting calls from Rachel, that now feature local numbers. Sure enough, Rachel called niece who was sitting at table with us. She answered and then hung up when she discovered it was Rachel. For fun she then called back and asked to speak to Rachel. Person who answered phone told her that she (niece) was Rachel! (English wasn't his primary language.) Niece played him for a couple minutes before telling him to never call again, as she records calls and will go after the $10 K allowed on do not call list. She is the type person who would do this too!!

Mike Henderson
03-27-2016, 11:05 PM
I wish you could get $10K for someone calling you when you're on the "Do not call" list. Most of those calls have fake caller-ID and they're not going to give you their real name and address. I would guess that most of them are out of the country so it makes it almost impossible to track them down.

Mike

[If you really could get $10K per call there would be people making a living on that. Heck, there would be businesses (lawyers?) making a living on that.]

Jim Becker
03-28-2016, 11:16 AM
It's fun to have fun, but Mike is correct...those numbers are spoofed and the robo-dialer is using an IP service that really cannot be "traced" easily if at all. Prosecuting and collecting would be a very tough row to hoe...

I get very few of these kind of calls anymore since I started using NoMoRobo with my FiOS phone service. (not all phone carriers are compatible with this service, unfortunately)

Robert Delhommer Sr
03-28-2016, 12:35 PM
Are you referring to Raphael with card services? We get a call on average everyday, some times 2 or 3 times a day. You would think they would give up after awhile of you not biting on their scam. Wish NoMoRobo would work on our phone carriers.

Larry Browning
03-28-2016, 1:40 PM
We have been getting calls from the "IRS" telling us that we are be sued by the IRS unless we pay $10,000 right away we will be arrested! Now the wife, being recently retired and having some extra time on her hands decides to start "messing" with them. First time she told them that she knew it was a scam, and shame on them for scaring all the unsuspecting little old retired folks out there and hung up. The more she thought about it the madder she got. So she calls them back, and tells them she is going to report them to the IRS and the FBI. They hung up on her. She calls back again and gets a different person and tells him the same thing, only this time, he says "Oh, please mam, don't do that!" She, then asks the guy, to tell what the letters IRS stood for. He said, "We are the government agency I.R.S. "Yeah, but what do the letters I.R.S. represent?" Long pause...... "You are being sued by the IRS for $10,000 and if you don't pay, you will be arrested." "Really? So I'm being sued by the government for $10,000? How do you know how much I am being sued for? Remember, I called you, and have not even told you my name." Click.

Brian Henderson
03-28-2016, 2:15 PM
I have no landline and I never get any calls. Best decision I ever made getting rid of it.

Mike Henderson
03-28-2016, 2:18 PM
I have no landline and I never get any calls. Best decision I ever made getting rid of it.
I get those calls on both my landline and my cell. Doesn't seem to matter.

Mike

Chris Padilla
03-28-2016, 4:14 PM
We got the IRS one but the machine ended up recording it. So when my wife played it back she freaked out and frantically started jotting information down as I came into the room. I laughed and deleted it much to her horror. I assured her (my wife is from Europe) that it was a scam and that the IRS would never call and do such a thing since they send letters in the mail. I reminded her of the time I messed up our taxes and we got a bill from the IRS for like 80k. (I had forgotten to include our brokerage statements in our taxes for some unknown reason that I cannot fathom to this day.) Anyway she relaxed and on the way to work, we heard them talking about the IRS scam on the radio.

Larry Browning
03-28-2016, 6:21 PM
I thought it was rather amusing that the scammer didn't even know what IRS stood for, yet he is supposed to be working for them. My wife harassed them for several days, calling them back several times during the day. One time she asked the guy on the other end for his SSN. He rattled off 7 numbers, she said "that's not enough numbers". His reply was, "Ok, how many numbers do you want?". She, was hoping they would stop calling, but as long as she called them, they would call her. Caller Id, either showed "No Number Available" or random numbers from New York, to California, and places in between. She seemed to get the same 4 or 5 people each time she called back though. No telling where they actually were though.
The calls stopped when she tired of calling them back though.

Arlyn Smith
03-30-2016, 6:24 PM
We have been getting calls from the "IRS" telling us that we are be sued by the IRS unless we pay $10,000 right away we will be arrested! Now the wife, being recently retired and having some extra time on her hands decides to start "messing" with them. First time she told them that she knew it was a scam, and shame on them for scaring all the unsuspecting little old retired folks out there and hung up. The more she thought about it the madder she got. So she calls them back, and tells them she is going to report them to the IRS and the FBI. They hung up on her. She calls back again and gets a different person and tells him the same thing, only this time, he says "Oh, please mam, don't do that!" She, then asks the guy, to tell what the letters IRS stood for. He said, "We are the government agency I.R.S. "Yeah, but what do the letters I.R.S. represent?" Long pause...... "You are being sued by the IRS for $10,000 and if you don't pay, you will be arrested." "Really? So I'm being sued by the government for $10,000? How do you know how much I am being sued for? Remember, I called you, and have not even told you my name." Click.

I got a call like that a few weeks ago and I invited the guy to my house so I could run him through a tree chipper. He hung up fast and I have not been recontacted.

Wade Lippman
03-30-2016, 8:10 PM
My wife harassed them for several days, calling them back several times during the day.

Your wife needs a hobby. Maybe woodworking.

Bert Kemp
03-30-2016, 11:01 PM
I just can't understand why everybody answers the phone form unknown numbers. I just don't answer any number I don't know and never call any back. If they want you bad enough or their legit they will leave a voice mail identifying themselves and ask you to call back.

Dave Anderson NH
03-31-2016, 9:45 AM
Primo Answer Bert!!!! I love caller ID.

Larry Browning
03-31-2016, 10:27 AM
I just can't understand why everybody answers the phone form unknown numbers. I just don't answer any number I don't know and never call any back. If they want you bad enough or their legit they will leave a voice mail identifying themselves and ask you to call back.

Actually, the "IRS" did leave a message the first time they called.

Plus, that just seems boring. You've got this wonder box that connects you to the world, and you only want to talk to people you already know on it? Where's the fun in that?

Larry Browning
03-31-2016, 10:32 AM
Your wife needs a hobby. Maybe woodworking.

She is recently retired. She has already started quilting, scrap booking, and photography. She is showing an interest in pen turning. I'm trying to discourage that one, she will want me to clean up the shop and hang curtains if she starts coming down there.:eek: