PDA

View Full Version : Packard extra heavy duty scrapers

bob starkey
03-27-2016, 9:26 PM
The Packard extra heavy duty scrapers are 1/2" thick x 1" wide m2 steel. Is this too bulky to use on my Jet 1221vsi lathe?

Bob Bergstrom
03-27-2016, 10:49 PM
The Packard extra heavy duty scrapers are 1/2" thick x 1" wide m2 steel. Is this too bulky to use on my Jet 1221vsi lathe?

Unless you are really reaching way over the tool rest I can't see a need for that thickness. Most are 5/16" and 3/8" thick. Look for quality rather than thickness. Some of the powdered ones take a good borr and cut well.

Reed Gray
03-28-2016, 12:28 AM
While some people like them that size, I am use scrapers far more than most turners, and that is too much scraper for my 3 hp American Beauty. As near as I can tell, that width and thickness is for 'stability'. I don't want to hang out that far, and that is much more metal than necessary for heavy roughing cuts. Doug Thompson makes a great 1 inch wide by 5/16 thick scraper, which might still be too much for your lathe unless you are taking light cuts. There are many ways to use scrapers. I have a number of video clips up on You Tube, and one dedicated to only scrapers. Type in robo hippy

robo hippy

Thom Sturgill
03-28-2016, 8:24 AM
I use one for bottom of boxes and love it. By the nature of box work you tend to be hanging off the tool rest a bit and I'd rather a stiff scraper than a special tool rest.

I use the Benjamins Best set from PSI for most work though. I also have one of Doug's that I ground using the profile that Doug sells for Jimmy Clewes. It works very well too. The burr is what is most important, but how it is created varies from user to user, and sometimes how a user uses the scraper. Most use the grinder burr, I hone and loll a burr. Seems to cut cleaner and last longer.

John Grace
03-28-2016, 9:58 AM
I have the 1/2" round nose scraper and went that way due to 'mass'...more weight equals greater stability (at least that was the idea). I do think a 5/16" scraper relative to what others have described are valid but I don't use my scraper in the same manner as Reed does in his videos. I still use my carbides for the heavy roughing, then use my 1/2" towards the end of my turning as a finishing/clean-up scraper before switching to my fluteless gouge at a high shear angle.

Reed Gray
03-28-2016, 3:27 PM
Well, I am still puzzled. Perhaps just my way of doing things. I have been using negative rake scrapers a lot more, and especially for end grain turning. It cleans things up better than a flat scraper, and at least as good as a shear scrape, both of which I prefer over the flat scrape in anything but bowl roughing. Both the negative rake scrape and shear scrape require/use far less pressure for the cut....

Thom, not sure if you read my post about the effect of the 600 grit CBN wheel on my scraper burrs. I was very surprised at how much cleaner my shear scrapes were. Ken Rizza is shipping me a 1000 grit CBN wheel that I ordered today, because my curiosity got the better of me. Had to have one... I haven't found that honing made any difference in the edge on my scrapers, which could have been in part my efforts. Same with burnishing a burr, which I do by hand, and yes, I have heard several people comment that it is impossible to hand burnish a burr on HSS, but that was after I was already doing it. For sure the 600 grit burr does not last nearly as long for heavy roughing, and it does not make a heavy enough of a burr to really cut well, but for whisper cuts, it is excellent.

robo hippy

Curtis Myers
03-29-2016, 8:32 PM
I have been using negative rake scrapers a lot more, and especially for end grain turning.

Ken Rizza is shipping me a 1000 grit CBN wheel that I ordered today, because my curiosity got the better of me. Had to have one...

robo hippy

I also like using a negative rake scrapper for finishing cuts. I like BIG thick scrapers with double edge (negative rake) for light finishing cuts on platters.

I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on that 1000 grit CBN.

Thom Sturgill
03-29-2016, 9:50 PM
Thom, not sure if you read my post about the effect of the 600 grit CBN wheel on my scraper burrs. I was very surprised at how much cleaner my shear scrapes were. Ken Rizza is shipping me a 1000 grit CBN wheel that I ordered today, because my curiosity got the better of me. Had to have one... I haven't found that honing made any difference in the edge on my scrapers, which could have been in part my efforts. Same with burnishing a burr, which I do by hand, and yes, I have heard several people comment that it is impossible to hand burnish a burr on HSS, but that was after I was already doing it. For sure the 600 grit burr does not last nearly as long for heavy roughing, and it does not make a heavy enough of a burr to really cut well, but for whisper cuts, it is excellent.

robo hippy

Reed, I am not a bit surprised that the 600 grit produces a better burr than a courser wheel Especially for finishing cuts.

What I started doing was honing the top flat and burnishing a burr with one of those Lee Valley jigs mounted on my workbench. Makes a good burr, though I had to learn not to roll one too far. I use the scraper mostly for final cleanup in my boxes after using a hook tool for most of the hollowing. The hook tool actually makes a cleaner cut, but I am not as good at getting the corners clean and the bottom flat - yet. This burr has worked well for me and I can refresh it quickly, only needing to hone the top flat after several burnishings.