PDA

View Full Version : Rats! Dewalt 733 planer belt. Help.

Michael Weber
03-27-2016, 4:52 PM
Milling for the next bunch of kitchen drawers came to a halt when the drive belt broke. This is Dewalt part number 429962-08. Does anyone have a cross reference for a standard belt number I might pick up a a local power drive store so I don't have to wait for arrival? The broken belt is destroyed (melted) beyond being able to measure so anyone just know the length I could specify?

Matt Day
03-27-2016, 5:10 PM
I don't know the length, but do you know why it melted in the first place?

Ken Fitzgerald
03-27-2016, 5:21 PM
Hi Michael!

According to ereplacementparts.com, the belt is 7/8" wide by 14" long. http://www.ereplacementparts.com/belt-p-68166.html

Michael Weber
03-27-2016, 5:30 PM
Thanks Ken that may help locate something local tomorrow.
Matt, there were just big globs of melted belt material where it broke so I couldn't really measure the length except roughly.

Matt Day
03-27-2016, 7:37 PM
Michael, my point was that your belt melted for a reason. Why? Is it rubbing on something? Something is obviously causing exessibe heat which melted the belt. I think you should do some investigation before just putting a new belt on.

Bill White
03-28-2016, 11:43 AM
I once chewed up my 733 belt when I failed to notice a taper in the workpiece which caused to wood to jam. Oh well....
Bill

Michael Weber
03-28-2016, 9:24 PM
Nothing local so ordered from Amazon. Used Amazon because next business day delivery was only $3.50. Think it just melted apart where it broke as the pulley just spun on the loose belt and melted it apart rather than snapping. The belt was original and VERY worn. Surprised it didn't break a lot sooner. There are portions so worn there are no ribs left and holes completely through the material it is so thin.