PDA

View Full Version : Blue spruce paring chisel angle

Jeffrey Cole
03-27-2016, 4:23 PM
Just received a Blue Spruce Paring chisel. They are A2 steel with a primary bevel of 25° and a MB of 5° for a total angle of 30°. MY other paring chisels are abound 20° which works well for me. Is there a reason these come at 30°? Can I change them to 20° without any problems or should I just adjust to 30°?
Thank you for your help!!
Jeffrey

Pat Barry
03-27-2016, 4:29 PM
What is MB? Is that secondary bevel?

Jim Koepke
03-27-2016, 4:40 PM
My recollection is others have had problems with A2 steel at low angles. For use as a paring chisel, this might not be as much of an issue.

jtk

Derek Cohen
03-27-2016, 4:41 PM
Just received a Blue Spruce Paring chisel. They are A2 steel with a primary bevel of 25° and a MB of 5° for a total angle of 30°. MY other paring chisels are abound 20° which works well for me. Is there a reason these come at 30°? Can I change them to 20° without any problems or should I just adjust to 30°?
Thank you for your help!!
Jeffrey

Hi Jeffrey

I would leave the cutting angle at 30 degrees (either with a 30 degree hollow or a 5 degree secondary on the 25 degree primary). That is not to say that you cannot use them at a 25 degree cutting angle, but the edge will not last as long. I have the smaller detail (dovetail) BS chisel set, and they get very sharp at 30 degrees.

For myself, more important than a low cutting angle is a sharp edge.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Bruce Haugen
03-27-2016, 4:48 PM
What is MB? Is that secondary bevel?

Micro bevel

Jeffrey Cole
03-27-2016, 5:55 PM
Thanks for the help!! I am not a fan of Micro bevels, so I think I will just flat sharpen it to 30° on my stones.
Thanks again!!
Jeffrey

Bruce Haugen
03-27-2016, 6:11 PM
A2 used in Blue Spruce chisels is a bit harder to sharpen without ceramics or diamonds, especially if you are sharpening the whole bevel. That's why the secondary bevel is there. Dave Jeske makes a really nice chisel. I talked with him and got a personal demo of his chisels at Handworks a couple years ago. He absolutely beat on that thing into side grain maple and it didn't faze either the edge or the handle.