PDA

View Full Version : New Laguna cyclone 1.5 HP dust collector - 110V

Gregory Carles
03-27-2016, 11:31 AM
Well I figured since I now have my new SawStop PCS I need something a little better that a Crafstman shop vac and a dust deputy for dust collection. So I splurged and got this. On sale at woodcraft.com but the store honored the price. This unit did not come with a remote but not to worry- Wood River had a remote to use specifically with dust collectors and is a R.F. version instead of infra-red. This unit fits my needs perfectly, it is somewhat compact yet is rated for 1200CFM. As noted in the reviews the instructions are horrable and you pretty much have to figure the assembly out on your own. Other than that it seems to be a good unit with lots of suction, compared to my shop vac.

Don Morris
03-28-2016, 6:22 AM
Looks terrible, I wouldn't have it. Send it here, I'll get rid of it for you.

Sid Matheny
03-28-2016, 2:32 PM
Nice gloat and should work much better!

Mike Chalmers
03-28-2016, 2:42 PM
I would be interested to know how the short cyclone performs with regards to separating the dust from the chips. My adventure with one of these types (3hp) was not good.

Gregory Carles
04-01-2016, 10:38 PM
I would be interested to know how the short cyclone performs with regards to separating the dust from the chips. My adventure with one of these types (3hp) was not good.

I have run just a few boards through and it seems to me doing great- even with the fine dust. Nothing in the bag with the filter but you can see the dust drum here.

Bruce Page
04-01-2016, 11:21 PM
That is nice! I didn't know Laguna had a 1.5 hp model. How is the noise level?

Gregory Carles
04-02-2016, 9:20 PM
How is the noise level?

I believe 73 dB , It is not loud at all compared to my craftsman shop vac.

Greg Parrish
04-03-2016, 8:29 AM
Very nice. I was really torn between the jet, Laguna and others recently and ended up deciding on a 3hp Oneida model. It's not mobile and is still a somewhat short/compact cyclone and I plan to hard pipe it in place but I still wonder if I might have been better off with a Laguna that was mobile instead. Im getting ready to start hanging my piping in the the next week and will be using mine soon.

Congrats and enjoy.

Dave Mendoza
04-03-2016, 9:19 AM
Very interesting, my Laguna 2 hp cyclone is almost identical to the Jet 2 hp. The only real difference I see between my unit and the Jet is the stand. Do you know when your 1.5 hp Laguna was made?

Gregory Carles
04-03-2016, 10:20 AM
Do you know when your 1.5 hp Laguna was made?

Hi Dave,
The stamped label says 2015 03

Gregory Carles
04-03-2016, 10:30 AM
Very nice. I was really torn between the jet, Laguna and others recently and ended up deciding on a 3hp Oneida model. It's not mobile and is still a somewhat short/compact cyclone and I plan to hard pipe it in place but I still wonder if I might have been better off with a Laguna that was mobile instead. Im getting ready to start hanging my piping in the the next week and will be using mine soon.

Congrats and enjoy.

HI Greg,
I looked at Oneida also, but the Laguna went on sale at woodcraft and I really like the compact size and the idea of 1200 CFM with a cyclone. It is nice that it is mobile because I only plan on running one hose off the port and pushing it around to the different machinery. But then again my shop is not that big so mobility is a must.

Dave Mendoza
04-03-2016, 1:30 PM
My 2 hp Laguna that is nearly identical to the Jet was made 11/2015. I wonder what month in 2015 Laguna shifted over to the Jet look-a-like?

Mike Chalmers
04-03-2016, 2:49 PM
My 2 hp Laguna that is nearly identical to the Jet was made 11/2015. I wonder what month in 2015 Laguna shifted over to the Jet look-a-like?Jet, Laguna, King Canada, several other brand names. All made by the same factory, only difference is usually paint and such things as power switches.

Gregory Carles
04-04-2016, 5:59 PM
OK guys, yesterday is the first real day I used my new dust collector several times. Over the coarse of my project the 20A dedicated breaker was tripped about 4 times. Each time I reset it then it would run fine for 3-4 cycles then trip the breaker. If this keeps up I will have to contact Laguna.
Greg

mark mcfarlane
04-04-2016, 7:21 PM
OK guys, yesterday is the first real day I used my new dust collector several times. Over the coarse of my project the 20A dedicated breaker was tripped about 4 times. Each time I reset it then it would run fine for 3-4 cycles then trip the breaker. If this keeps up I will have to contact Laguna.
Greg

Is it tripping when you first start the DC, or is it tripping after it has been running for a while? Electric motors draw extra current at startup.

Augusto Orosco
04-04-2016, 9:01 PM
Have you tried it without the remote?

Gregory Carles
04-04-2016, 9:18 PM
Is it tripping when you first start the DC, or is it tripping after it has been running for a while?.

Mark,
Not at start up, I will be working along and turn on 2-3 times no problem, then turn on again with the remote and nothing. I have to reset the breaker then it tends to run 3-4 cycles before tripping again. Now tonight I ran it several times and it worked OK. I am suspecting the possibility it may be in the remote receiver?

Gregory Carles
04-04-2016, 9:20 PM
Have you tried it without the remote?

I have not tried it with out the remote, but I am suspicious of the remote at this point. Tonight I ran several cycles, however when initially turning on the remote control I noticed the breaker was tripped.
Have you heard of problems with the wood river DC remotes before?

Augusto Orosco
04-04-2016, 9:49 PM
I haven't looked into that receiver, but if it's close to the amps drawn by your cyclone, things might go wrong, I suspect. I know little about electricity, I am just wondering outloud others more knowledgeable might have better insight into it.

David L Morse
04-04-2016, 10:25 PM
I would be surprised if the remote were causing the breaker to trip.

How often are you cycling that DC? If you're starting it more than once every five minutes or so that could be a problem. The time constant of the thermal section of a breaker is typically several minutes. The inertial load of a big steel impeller takes a lot of starting current and the breaker needs some time to cool down between starts. So does the motor and the start capacitor.

mark mcfarlane
04-05-2016, 2:48 AM
Mark,
Not at start up, I will be working along and turn on 2-3 times no problem, then turn on again with the remote and nothing. I have to reset the breaker then it tends to run 3-4 cycles before tripping again. Now tonight I ran it several times and it worked OK. I am suspecting the possibility it may be in the remote receiver?

Sorry I wasn't clear when I said 'first start the DC'. I meant to ask 'does it always trip when you start the DC', or 'does it trip after the DC is already running for a few minutes'.

Greg Parrish
04-05-2016, 10:10 AM
HI Greg,
I looked at Oneida also, but the Laguna went on sale at woodcraft and I really like the compact size and the idea of 1200 CFM with a cyclone. It is nice that it is mobile because I only plan on running one hose off the port and pushing it around to the different machinery. But then again my shop is not that big so mobility is a must.

I bought the Oneida on sale but of course the Laguna went on sale right afterwards. Had it been on the sale you mentioned at the time I would have prob gone with the 2hp Laguna and saved some coin but anyway such is life. I'm only setting up in 1/2 of my garage but am piping the Oneida in with drops. Won't be as impressive as a large shop but I won't have to move stuff around too much this way.

Greg Parrish
04-05-2016, 10:13 AM

How often are you cycling that DC? If you're starting it more than once every five minutes or so that could be a problem. The time constant of the thermal section of a breaker is typically several minutes. The inertial load of a big steel impeller takes a lot of starting current and the breaker needs some time to cool down between starts. So does the motor and the start capacitor.

Good point. My Oneida had a comment that said not to cycle it more than 4 or 5 times in an hour. Was either on a sticker on motor or in manual.

Mike Hollingsworth
04-05-2016, 11:50 AM
I'd try a new breaker.

Gregory Carles
04-05-2016, 4:43 PM
Sorry I wasn't clear when I said 'first start the DC'. I meant to ask 'does it always trip when you start the DC', or 'does it trip after the DC is already running for a few minutes'.
It only trips when I go to start it never while it is running. once it is running it has never stopped by means of a breaker trip.

eric burns
04-06-2016, 7:08 AM
Is it on its own circuit or are there other things running on the same circuit?

mark mcfarlane
04-06-2016, 2:11 PM
It only trips when I go to start it never while it is running. once it is running it has never stopped by means of a breaker trip.

Hi George,

Electric motors can take a larger than normal (surge) current to get started. Laguna should be able to tell you what the expected current draw is upon startup for the DC, then you can compare that to your breaker. Also, if you have a clamp type AMP meter, you can measure the amp drawn and duration upon startup. If Laguna's number and the measured numbers are below the threshold of your circuit breaker, the breaker is at fault.

If the current draw is higher than what Laguna said it should be, you have a problem with the DC (or they gave you bad data). If Laguna says you need more than what your circuit is providing, you likely need to wire in a new circuit with lower gauge (thicker) wire and a higher amperage breaker.

Someone else also mentioned to check if there is any other devices on the circuit. It is possible that another operating device could consume enough current that when it is running your startup DC current will trip the breaker, and when the other device is off, everything works OK.

If Laguna can't give you the expected startup amperage, I think most motors have a rating (on the specs plate) that, along with some algebra, can tell you what the startup current for the motor will be, but I'm not sure how much effect, if any, the DC impeller will have on startup current.

That's about the limit of my knowledge. If I made a logic mistake here I'm sure someone will chime in, but hopefully this will give you some guidance on diagnosing the root problem.

Gregory Carles
04-06-2016, 6:34 PM

How often are you cycling that DC? If you're starting it more than once every five minutes or so that could be a problem.
Hi David,
I was cycling it 3-4 times in probably about 30 minutes. The amps on the motor say 13 and I have a 20 amp dedicated circuit.
This is really got me stumped. Last night I ran it several cycles and it did not have any problems at all.

Gregory Carles
04-06-2016, 6:35 PM
I'd try a new breaker.

Last night ran like a charm. can't figure out if it fixed itself or what.

Gregory Carles
04-09-2016, 7:49 PM
Ok here is an update on the breaker trip issue I was experiencing. It has stopped throwing the breaker. Don't know why but I have been using it and have not had the breaker trip. Seems to be working just fine now. Maybe a break in issue - not sure.

Travis Fatzinger
10-02-2016, 1:18 PM
Hi Gregory,

Now that you have had the Laguna a few months, what do you think of it?

Have you cleaned the filter yet?

Thanks,

Travis

Gregory Carles
11-25-2016, 10:37 PM
Travis ,
I have had the Laguna March of this year.
All I can say is I love this thing.
It is doing a great job, I ordered new bags and have probably enough to last a life time now.
The original breaker trip issue has never surfaced again and I start it as many times as I want, make a cut cycle it, make a cut cycle it. You get my point. I have noticed no limits to the cycling the cyclone and any related issues with the breaker.
I would get this again and would recommend it to the small shop owner. I really like the mobility of it as I am constantly moving it around. The long power cord that comes with it makes it easy to move around with out in-plugging and re-plugging it in.
Sorry it took so long to get back to your question.
Greg

Larry Frank
11-26-2016, 8:06 AM
I would like to know what the actual cfm is for the unit. If you have a chance, it would be great to measure the performance and report back. The mfg are awful with there exaggerated claims. A 1.5 HP cyclone will not provide 1200 cfm and probably more like 600-700 cfm.

I am glad to hear it is working well for you and especially that there is so little dust in the filter.

Gregory Carles
11-26-2016, 10:46 AM
I would like to know what the actual cfm is for the unit. If you have a chance, it would be great to measure the performance and report back. The mfg are awful with there exaggerated claims. A 1.5 HP cyclone will not provide 1200 cfm and probably more like 600-700 cfm.

I am glad to hear it is working well for you and especially that there is so little dust in the filter.

I don't really have the equipment to test CFM but I have it mainly for my saw stop and also use it on band saw, jointer, and planer.
I use a flexible hose as I have not done any hard plumbing to the unit yet. Not sure if I will that would restrict the mobility of it.
I can tell you it is fitting my needs completely. As for the filter I use the handle to knock off the fine dust off the filter every now and then.

Ken Fitzgerald
11-26-2016, 11:51 AM
Gregory,

Did you read the manual carefully? I would read it carefully watching for any information suggesting limiting the number of times one should cycle this unit on in a given time period.

Pay particular attention to what David L. Morse and Greg Parrish posted above. Oneida in their manual IIRC tells you not to cycle it on more than 6 times per hour. I think they are concerned about damaging motor components with the surge current produced during startup. David is pointing out that these surge currents heat up the breaker and if the breaker doesn't have time to cool between startups, it can thermally overload.

Gregory Carles
11-26-2016, 1:32 PM
I looked at the operator's manual that came with my machine and I cannot see anything warning or limiting how many times to cycle the DC on and off.
I think it is OK. At least I have not experienced any issues so far.