PDA

View Full Version : Excellent demo video: Stanley 4 tune up

Gene Davis
03-27-2016, 10:23 AM
Here is my favorite YouTuber guy David W showing us how he takes a garage-sale Stanley 4 and setting it up to cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InbpoRcQyI0

Tremendous amount of good information here. Note the blade and chipbreaker grinding, stoning, and polishing. Note the sandpaper-on-glass lapping.

Bill White
03-27-2016, 1:17 PM
Yep! I'm with ya on David. His VERY practical approach to caring for tools is a much needed style.
Bill

glenn bradley
03-28-2016, 12:38 AM
That was indeed refreshing. I'm sorry he feels he has to defend himself from some previous grousers. Too often folks presenting similar information get lost in trying to be very concise and complete. This is not a bad thing but, can give listeners the impression that things are more complex than they are.

Pat Barry
03-28-2016, 8:07 AM
He knows his stuff and I learned a bunch for sure - never thought of using gun blue on bare metal sides of plane for instance... but he could sure use an editors help and the camera angles are atrocious.

Sean Hughto
03-28-2016, 8:28 AM
I kinda like that it wasn't edited, it proves those who always poo poo getting an old Stanley as requiring too much work and expertise to clean and set up as utterly and completely wrong. "Oh no, tut tut, you must get a LN or LV plane so that you know what a well set up plane feels like instead of spending weeks and months trying to rehabilitate rusty crappy vintage Stanley." ;)

Daniel Rode
03-28-2016, 9:22 AM
It's a great demonstration that one can have planes that work exceptionally well with a minimal outlay of time and money. $30-$40 and a half hour of work is pretty reasonable investment for a tool that will remove wood just like a premium plane.

Mike Brady
03-28-2016, 9:45 AM
Is that the same David that used to post here often?

Mike Brady
03-29-2016, 10:43 AM
Answered my own question. It obviously is Mr. Weaver. Videos are quirky but informative...much like the man.:)