PDA

View Full Version : I'm pretty lucky

Tim Cooper Louisiana
03-26-2016, 10:37 PM
Hi Creekers,

im about to get started on my Roubo bench build. I was 100 percent certain I wanted my leg vise chop and end cap to be walnut. I've nearly ordered some several times, but it's so expensive so I end up talking myself out of it.

This past wednesday I got a call out of the blue inviting me to my uncles birthday party that was happening today. I haven't seen him in a few years and I've always liked him a lot so I said what the heck. I drove a few hours and when I got there I mentioned that I'm getting into woodworking.

Oh, would I be interested in some walnut he'd give me if I wanted it? it would have been rude to say no...ended up with some 1 x 6's and some various lengths of 6/4 and 8/4.

Frederick Skelly
03-26-2016, 10:51 PM
Wow! Good fortune, that. Now go buy a lottery ticket!

Jebediah Eckert
03-26-2016, 10:54 PM
Great score, I'm sure he appreciated you making the trip!

Tim Cooper Louisiana
03-26-2016, 11:07 PM
He's a fantastic guy. I took maybe 2 % of his walnut stock. He kept trying to load me up with more but I didn't want to be too greedy.

Patrick Chase
03-26-2016, 11:45 PM
Hi Creekers,

im about to get started on my Roubo bench build. I was 100 percent certain I wanted my leg vise chop and end cap to be walnut. I've nearly ordered some several times, but it's so expensive so I end up talking myself out of it.

This past wednesday I got a call out of the blue inviting me to my uncles birthday party that was happening today. I haven't seen him in a few years and I've always liked him a lot so I said what the heck. I drove a few hours and when I got there I mentioned that I'm getting into woodworking.

Oh, would I be interested in some walnut he'd give me if I wanted it? it would have been rude to say no...ended up with some 1 x 6's and some various lengths of 6/4 and 8/4.

I'm going to have to remember that highly probable story the next time my wife asks me how much a particular stack of wood cost.... :-)

Tim Cooper Louisiana
03-27-2016, 11:54 AM
I'm going to have to remember that highly probable story the next time my wife asks me how much a particular stack of wood cost.... :-)

I would never seek to deceive my lady like that. I am upfront and honest about all of my purchases. I do hide my receipts though. I think I saw it on this forum, but someone had stated that their biggest fear was if they died their wife would sell their tools for what she was told they cost 😄.