PDA

View Full Version : Oh geez, am I on the slope?

Gary Herrmann
09-15-2005, 2:41 PM
I'm in the process of tuning the irons for my new heavy LA smoohther (LV). I just bought a Stanley 923 brace and find myself looking for auger bits. I'm really excited about using my LV LA Jack and the smoother on the upcoming side table project I have. I also finally got around to tuning up my 2nd set of Marples I picked up this summer (that fabulous deal at Costco - couldn't pass that up).

I'm drooling over the LV LA jointer. I'm trying to find an excuse to buy it before 10/31 so I can get the free fence.

Also thinking about picking up some nice saws - Disston or maybe some of the new highend backsaws.

I keep looking at Patrick Leach's emails, the Lee Valley and Lie-Nielsen sites and this forum.

When I finish the next couple projects, I want to build a nice toolchest out of qsawn white oak. But I'm also looking at plane till posts on this forum - even tho I only have 4 (5 if I get the jointer - which should be more than sufficient for my needs - geez, I hope so).

So am I doomed? If so, is there a 12 step program? Or maybe I should cripple my ISP?

Hi. My name is Gary Herrmann, and I'm a neander wannabe.

Roy Wall
09-15-2005, 2:47 PM
Gary,

You are toast! No chance of recovery. Terminal is the word.

Enjoy your tools:)

Matthew Springer
09-15-2005, 3:57 PM
The only thing that'll cure you is to go cold turkey.

I recommend sending me all your hand tools. It's the only thing for it.

Mike Wenzloff
09-15-2005, 4:07 PM
I just bought a Stanley 923 brace and find myself looking for auger bits...
Ya know, all ya gotta do is mention a "need" and someone here will supply the grease for the slope...In this case, me :D

MI40635 Irwin Bit Set This is a full original set of 13 Irwin bits on the original store display rack. The rack was not normally sold with the bits, as this rack was designed for sellign the bits individually. The rack is worth as much to a collector as we are selling the set for. Unfortunately, there are two #6 bits and no #4. We will also include a #4 bit that is not original to this set. The bits need a light cleaning but they all appear to be unused. G++ $109

The Best Things...http://www.thebestthings.com/misctool.htm

GREENLEE AUGER BIT SET, Nine minty bits - 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 and 12-16ths (1/4 - 3/4 inch). They are shiny-nice, and close to new-condition, but may need a bit of sharpening, Fine ....... $75.00

Jon Zimmers (http://www.jonzimmersantiquetools.com/tools/bitstock.htm)

Dave Anderson NH
09-15-2005, 4:30 PM
Gary, you are only in the early stages of this disease. Unfortunately for your wallet things will only get worse, much worse. My plane till has been full since the day I built it and I now have them stuffed in all sorts of other places around the shop. I just had to enlarge my file and rasp rack and I still haven't figured out where I'm going to hang the 3 yankee screwdrives I bought last winter. My winter acquisition of a Record #044 is also looking for a place to live and my recently finished Shepherd Chariot plane and my new LN #98-#99 set is right now stuffed in a drawer.

Perhaps these few illustrations above give you an idea of how bad it can get. And to those of you who preach restraint, I have restrained myself. In fact, at the last two LFOD auctions in Nashua NH I bought exactly Zippo. I even have a witness, Mark Stutz, who was with me for the one last Spring. Now when that set of LN chisels that I orderdd from Tom at the factory in June arrives.......

Mike Wenzloff
09-15-2005, 5:04 PM
Dave, tsk tsk tsk. And here, you, a moderator not practicing moderation <G>...

Gary, you are done for. It's like asking for help with a drinking problem in a bar...

And to you all, I better go and figure out what I'm going to do with the 8 handsaws that arrived in today's post.

And with this...
http://www.wenzloffandsons.com/temp/t72.jpg

All 2 feet long of it. I have mentioned my present shop is 12' x 12', haven't I...

Mike

Mark Stutz
09-15-2005, 6:58 PM
I recognize the symptoms...you are well past the point of no return! :eek:

I can attest the Dave did not make a single purchase on the day I was with him...and SAYS he didn't on the day I wasn't. :D

Mark

Alan Turner
09-15-2005, 9:06 PM
Mike,
Nice Donkey's Ear. I have two; one in each shop, and would not be without them in fitting cockbeads.

Mike Wenzloff
09-15-2005, 9:23 PM
Mike,
Nice Donkey's Ear. I have two; one in each shop, and would not be without them in fitting cockbeads.
Hi Alan,

Two shops? Geez, now that's something I am jealous about! Present one, due to a brilliant business decision (not renewing my lease), is now at my house--12' x 12'. Gettin' kinda cramped.

RE Cockbeads, applied or integral cockbeads? For cockbeads that are integral to the part, I've just used a mitre template and sawn them, then usually lightly burnished the cut with a chisel back. That and lightly pared them with the chisel if I sawed them a bit off. For applied cockbeads I've just used a shooting board.

I've never tried it on my previous donkey's ear. Hmm. Something new to try. But I'm having a slight brain freeze as to what or how to go about it. Care to share?

Thank you, Mike

Doug Shepard
09-15-2005, 9:36 PM
Looking for advice here on how to stop buying neander tools is like looking for alcohol advice from a group of Winos on the corner. We're just going to keep on encouraging you. I've managed to cut back to only 3 planes this week (1 eBay and 2 LV's on order). Can't seem to go cold turkey either.

Lee DeRaud
09-16-2005, 1:26 AM
Nice Donkey's Ear. I have two; one in each shop, and would not be without them in fitting cockbeads.That loud bang you just heard was my decoder ring exploding. :eek: :D :cool:

(Why yes, I am a devout Normite...why do you ask?)

Mike Wenzloff
09-16-2005, 10:38 AM
Are you sure you're not a closet Neander, Lee?

I mean, poking around the Neander forum and all? I know. Just keeping an eye on "those" people, eh?

Come on. Use a plane on a project--or a handsaw. Just once. You're a strong man. It won't affect you...heh, heh, heh.

Mike

Lee DeRaud
09-16-2005, 12:26 PM
Are you sure you're not a closet Neander, Lee?

I mean, poking around the Neander forum and all? I know. Just keeping an eye on "those" people, eh?

Come on. Use a plane on a project--or a handsaw. Just once. You're a strong man. It won't affect you...heh, heh, heh."Keep your friends close, keep your enemies closer.":D

Planes and I don't get along well, but I'm getting fond of scrapers as I work with more exotics. But unless I'm willing to sell the laser (and grow a bunch more hair :p ), I'd be a total heretic as a Neander.

What I do have is a bunch of wooden planes and odd cruft that my dad picked up at yard sales over the years and my mom shipped to me after he died. Don't think he ever used any of it...garage decorations more like it. I'll post pictures at some point and find out exactly what it is I have. I think there's a couple of those "Yankee braces" you guys were talking about in the other thread.

Mike Wenzloff
09-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Hi Lee, even if you don't ever use them, they do make nice shop decorations...That's the heretic in me. And besides, I do use both tailed/non-tailed tools. I am probably more efficient for the tasks in the handtools, though. With powered tools, seems like I stand there and stare more <g>.

My middle son does car restorations on the side. His shop is highly decorated with old tools, signs and displays. Makes for a nice working environment.

Pictures would be nice. At least if I keep a rag handy for the drool <g>.

Mike