PDA

View Full Version : Laser Exhaust System Fume Extractor DYI Scrubber

Gale Smith
03-26-2016, 7:02 PM
I recently set up the laser exhaust system. The original set up is having the Dust Collector blower directly underneath the laser. It is connected in a sideways U shape with two 90s metal pipe. Then the blower exhausts straight out the wall to the outside environment.
I scored well with achieving minimum bends and a short run; however, it smells horrendous outside. The neighbors will definitely complain. The inside smells a bit too. I'm not sure if the fumes are re-entering the building or if the dust collector is leaking. All of the piping and seals seem legit.
So I'm configuring a new exhaust system with a filtration box. As well as adding an outdoor pipe to exhaust higher up at perhaps roof level. (Currently it exhausts about 2' above ground level)
So I'm just at a loss on the filtration system. I've found lots of info about the types and placement of filters: furnace filter: hepa filter: activated charcoal filter. But it's the housing that has me scratching my head.
Can the filter box housing be birch plywood? Can it be MDF? Will it cause static electricity? How do I make it air tight yet be able to access the filters?
Can the filters be cut to fit the box or should the box be made to fit the filters? Can I find all 3 filters in the same size? Do the filters need to be spaced apart to a particular degree (1 inch apart, 2 inch apart, etc)
I found what looks like a promising prototype but I don't understand why it's so tall? It's online at TheLaserCuttingLab.
Please help :)

Dwyane Ward
03-26-2016, 9:59 PM
Gale,

Look at this thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?143725-DIY-air-filtration-unit-for-lt-200

Joe Pelonio
03-27-2016, 11:29 AM
The best system for eliminating inside smells is to have the blower outside, and suck rather than blow the fumes. Your problem, though, is the neighbors. Fortunately mine are far enough away that no one has noticed any smells in the 7 years that I have had the laser in the house. Back when I was in a mixed retail/light industrial complex, the fire department was called several times due to a "burning plastic smell." Regardless of your system, there will be some smell remaining in the laser after the job is run, it helps to leave the fan running for a few minutes before opening the lid.

Raphael Weil
03-27-2016, 5:37 PM
Yeah follow that other thread, I've been going from scratch with zero experience similar to you. My first version didn't eliminate all the smell, I'm going with a vertical model next. Mine is all MDF. And I'm doing all 1 filter dimension, way easier.

Glen Monaghan
03-28-2016, 12:27 PM
And better to fit the enclosure to the selected filter size because doing the other way means you have to keep cutting filters down every time you replace them... too much work!