PDA

View Full Version : Yard Sale Season has started..

steven c newman
03-26-2016, 1:38 PM
Finally! Even turned down going to an estate auction today.

Had to take along the boss, so she could get a few things, she's happy, so I get to be happy..

Anyway, I didn't have room ( other the cash) for a Rockwell Cabinet Saw they were trying to sell, or some of the other powered tools......feeding frenzy anyway around them..sooo

2 Stanley chisels, the bit set is missing one bit, and is labeled as HICRAFT on both the bits and the holder..
A"General No. 810" guide. the coping saw is a Great Neck No.9. Need to figure out the guide, saw will be a "loaner"
A Mr. R. Heath seemed to like Parker Line hacksaws. The two bolts in the handle are brass.
Also part of the haul this morning, a 12 V. Makita battery for my Makita No. 6012HD cordless drill. So, now I have a second battery for that drill.

Total cost for my part of this excursion? $10, plus the Boss' $2 that I had to pay for. hey, it is a start, anyway. :D

steven c newman
03-27-2016, 12:32 PM
Question is.....how does one actually use that roller guide thingy...

The Yellow handled Stanley does indeed have a metal end cap.

Bit set is missing the 3/4" size, the other four are listed by Imp. sizes.....1/4" on up. Irwin pattern or Jennings? The only markings on the shafts is a "HICRAFT" logo. They do have the 1/16s markings on the square end.

Still...not too hateful, for just $10 for all of the "treasures".

Jim Koepke
03-27-2016, 12:54 PM
Irwin pattern or Jennings?

My understanding is Jennings pattern bits have a double spiral.

On the roller guide, a quick search didn't come up with much. My memory of such is the roller was not on the stone.

You might try searching for instructions, but for me, it is easier to freehand sharpen than to try and figure out something like that.

jtk

steven c newman
03-27-2016, 7:33 PM
Compared to my Veritas MK1 that thing is HUGE! I do freehand about half the time, still nice to make sure of the angle. I might even run out of bench space, trying to use the General....

Have a nice box full of the single spiral bits......and a few of the doubles.

Wonder who made the "Parker Line" of hacksaws?

Jim Koepke
03-27-2016, 9:19 PM
Wonder who made the "Parker Line" of hacksaws?

I'm not sure, but my metal bench vise is an old Parker.

The company also made some fine shotguns.

jtk

Glen Canaday
03-27-2016, 10:19 PM
Irwin pattern are the ones with the center shaft, while Jennings have the simple twist. Both came with at least 3 different snails.

IIRC, the difference between the Jennings 100 and 101 sets is that one of them has the double spiral on the snail, and the other had a single. I forget which is which, but I also recall reading they came in 3 different pitches, so I guess that makes for 6 possible sets..for the types with the double spur. They may or may not have made a single spur version. I haven't seen one, but other companies made them in 50 million different configurations so I suppose it wouldn't be that big a stretch to think RJ might have also.

Irwin might have done the same but I think they only made single spirals.

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but the RJ bits did come in the two styles, #100 and #101.