PDA

View Full Version : transtint vs transfast?

Allan Speers
03-25-2016, 7:14 PM
I've never used dyes before, just stains. With shellac I've always used various flake colors.

I want to start experimenting with dyes, both for mixing into platina shellac and also just general use (though apply in a shellac mixture is probably always how I'd do it.) So I was about to order, and got immediately stymied:

1: What is the effective difference between Transtint and Transfast? I realize one is a powder & hence less expensive, but if Transtint is premix, there must be a reason, yes?

Ive read that transfast doesn't lift if you brush-on a top coat, whereas Transtint can. OK, that makes the poweder more attractive to me (not to mention the lower cost) except most of the colors I want are only available in Transtint. Arrrrggghhhh ..........:mad:

Transfast powder is water soluable. Should I care? Can I NOT just mix it into my shellac? - Is that what TransTINT is for?

If the powder can be mixed in both water and shellac, then Is there any time you purposely mix in water? I can't see any advantage over clear shellac, plus water raises the grain.

I'm so confused.... :(

Last:

Prashun Patel
03-25-2016, 7:20 PM
transfast is water soluble and will not lift if you wipe on shellac over it. But you need to diliute it in water to apply it. It also won't lift if you top it with an oil based product or lacquer.

transtint is compatible with alcohol and water. So you can dilute it in either - or shellac. You can also dissolve it in varnish if you assist it with acetone.

I get lost about which one is less prone to fading, but have not had a problem with either.

Transtint has a limited selection, but honestly, for most projects, the variety is good enough.

If you are trying to MATCH, then you will have more flexibility by going with powders. For that, I would go to WD Lockwood, where there are a million colors and the prices are reasonable too. I have had wonderful success with their dyes.

You can also mix and match dyes. However, I would first get the powders into liquid form and then mix.

If you are just starting, then I would start with Transtint. It's quite a good product and I think you'll have an easier go of putting it into shellac.

Allan Speers
03-25-2016, 7:45 PM
Thanks, Prashun, but I'm still confused:

Transfast can ONLY be dissolved in water? (or, I assume, a water-based finish?)

-And then it must be applied directly, or has it then become the SAME as Trantint, hence I can add that solution to shellac, poly, or whatever?

My first application is actually going to be all the Oak trim in my house. I agonized over all options, and have decided to fill in all the scratcher & nicks with poly, tinted to match the old & darkened "honey amber" that it currently is. Then I'm going to brush on a clear acryllic-based finish from Aqua-Thane. (I look at the General Finishes products but I like what I now know about Aqua-Thane.)

So, I need something that won't lift, obviously, and something that I can mix into the poly.
Transtint will mix in, and it has exactly the colors I need, but I'm afraid of it lifted. Plus, it's expensive as heck since I will need to experiment with various color combinations.
Transfast won't lift, but I have no idea if it will mix with the poly (or alternatively the acryllic finish) I don't want to apply it directly to the wood, since that won't look the same as the current old finish.

Thoughts?

Prashun Patel
03-25-2016, 9:28 PM
can you post a picture of what the existing trim looks like? I would not be scared by transtints price. A little goes a long way and in the grand scheme it is way cheaper than whatever topcoat you will select.

If you apply the dye in shellac your water based topcoat won't lift it as easily. It will be locked in to an extent. You will probably notice a little lift on your brush but not so much that it will affect the under coat.

Prashun Patel
03-25-2016, 9:33 PM
I am unsure if transfast can be dissolved in a water based top coat.

But when you dilute in water it is not The same as transtint. Transtint is dissolved in a chemical that makes it compatible with shellac and lacquer and water. I think it may be a glycol ether.

I think the actual dye in transtint and transfast are different animals in terms of compatibility and light fastness. They just look the same on wood.

Scott Holmes
03-26-2016, 8:33 PM
TransFast and TransTint can both be used in water-borne finishes. TransFast is a bit more colorfast. TranFast is best used in water or borne finishes only. I have used TransTint in multiple finishes both oil based and alcohol based.

Water-borne top coats will move TransFast AND TransTint dyes. With a reasonable assortment of TransFast or TransTint Dyes you can get to almost any color desired.

Allan Speers
03-27-2016, 10:23 PM
Thanks, guys.

I guess my best bet is to mix transtint into some poly, as originally thought before I overthunkit.

- But now I understand why. :)

As it turns out, the Aqua-Thane company sells their own version of a "universal" liquid dye, which seems to be the same idea. Luckily they sell it by the pint, so I can more cheaply experiment with the color.