PDA

View Full Version : A New Old Router

Jim Koepke
03-25-2016, 2:43 PM
Based on the Preston 2500P, it is the largest, heaviest, and most versatile router plane ever produced.

Saw this:

At: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/editors-blog/walke-moore-tools-router-plane

The Walke Moore site is at: http://www.walkemooretools.com/shop/router-plane-model-2500/

I have no relation to this product or its makers, just thought it might be of interest.

jtk

Stew Denton
03-25-2016, 3:10 PM
Hi Jim,

An interesting looking beast, and maybe a good one. Based on the price, though, it looks a bit rich for my blood. (I waited quite a while before finding a Stanley 71 that I thought was reasonable.)

Regards,

Stew

Jim Koepke
03-25-2016, 3:24 PM
An interesting looking beast, and maybe a good one. Based on the price, though, it looks a bit rich for my blood.

Like you, a bit too rich for my wallet. The design looks well thought out for a lot of different uses. The video shows a lot of versatility.

(I waited quite a while before finding a Stanley 71 that I thought was reasonable.)

There is a lightly funny story about how I had a Stanley #71 for a few days. I saw a Sargent #62 on ebay and figuring it was equivalent to the Stanley I bid and won. Little did I realize the seller was also selling a Stanley #71 at the same time. He sent me the wrong plane and the person who bid on the Stanley got mine. I sent a note to the seller. They finally figured out what took place and paid me to send it to the rightful owner who sent me the one they got in error.

Just another day in life on thee bay.

jtk

Michael Peet
03-25-2016, 6:12 PM
That's a cool-looking router. I never heard of this outfit before so I checked out the website. Looks like they are located right here in my hometown!

Mike

Derek Cohen
03-25-2016, 6:33 PM
That router kit is a copy of the Preston design. You can see them hanging on the wall behind Paul Sellers when he demonstrates at his bench.

Regards from Perth

Derek

John Kananis
03-26-2016, 1:22 AM
Looks like it would serve double duty as a hinge mortise plane.

Allan Speers
03-26-2016, 1:26 AM
My friend has a Preston. I love it. Really nice support from those big wings, and the blade lock is really secure.

Sadly, they go for crazy prices on Ebay. Almost as much as a new Walke Moore. I gave up looking.

Derek Cohen
03-26-2016, 1:49 AM
Looks like it would serve double duty as a hinge mortise plane.

They are large planes, longer I suspect that the large LV/LN/Stanley. Is the Walker-Moore version smaller?

Regards from Perth

Derek

george wilson
03-26-2016, 9:52 AM
I remember in high school woodshop how I hated those big Stanley routers! I had no idea at that time HOW to use them correctly,and just made a mess of trying to rout the bottom of rabbets with one. The teacher did not show us how to properly set them up,sharpen them,and how little to try to take off at a time. A little instruction would have been MOST helpful back then!! I think maybe the teacher himself was not a good craftsman,though a nice person. I was his helper for a few years. Like I did later in college with my sculpture teacher,William Reimann,I went to the wood shop at every study hall,or other opportunity!

In later years I made a miniature one that I used to lower the background on the Lion's Head violin neck carving. Unfortunately I left it at the Musical Instrument Maker's Shop when I became toolmaker. I did not want to denude the shop of tools when I left(but should have taken what was actually mine). Too late now. A very useful little tool indeed.

I hope the WM company flourishes. They seem to be making a very limited,but high quality line of tools. The patterns for the bronze router were very expertly made. Very clean work!

Wayne Taylor
03-26-2016, 3:39 PM
I ordered one. Looks like a very nice router plane. Pricey, but when compared to the stuff you can find on ebay not terribly out of line. I like to support high quality tool makes. I hope Walke-Moore does well.