PDA

View Full Version : A3-31 Got here safe and sound

Sean Troy
03-25-2016, 11:59 AM

All 800 lbs. of it got here safely all the way from Austria. Now I have to move it across the yard to the shop. Very well packaged from what I can see.

Bruce Page
03-25-2016, 12:16 PM
Nice addition!

Ben Rivel
03-25-2016, 12:23 PM
Nice! Hoping to order one this summer! Enjoy!

Rod Sheridan
03-25-2016, 3:58 PM
Excellent, you'll really enjoy it.

Remember to wax the beds, and then wax the beds :-)

regards, Rod.

Steve Wurster
03-25-2016, 7:25 PM
Very nice!

I'm in the early stages of ordering one myself. I've started moving things around in my shop to make room. My shop is in the basement though, so getting that down there is going to be an adventure.

Frederick Skelly
03-25-2016, 7:34 PM
Glad it arrived safely. Enjoy!

Brian Hood
03-25-2016, 8:31 PM
The used Hammer C3-31 is the best shop decision I ever made. Just love that beautiful thing.

Sean Troy
03-26-2016, 12:16 AM
Very nice!

I'm in the early stages of ordering one myself. I've started moving things around in my shop to make room. My shop is in the basement though, so getting that down there is going to be an adventure.
At over 750 lbs. uncrated, you'll need to be very careful.

Steve Wurster
03-26-2016, 7:12 AM
At over 750 lbs. uncrated, you'll need to be very careful.

No kidding! My current plan is to do something similar to what Rod did with his: build a ramp down the stairs (via a bilco door entrance) and winch the crated unit down.

Rod Sheridan
03-26-2016, 9:12 AM
No kidding! My current plan is to do something similar to what Rod did with his: build a ramp down the stairs (via a bilco door entrance) and winch the crated unit down.

Yup, my cat Ellington and I moved mine into the basement with one finger.

I also moved a B3 into the basement.

Enjoy your new machine.............Rod.

Prashun Patel
03-26-2016, 9:51 AM
Good luck . It's a wonderful machine.

Steve Wurster
03-26-2016, 4:03 PM
To hop back in here, what have the various A3-31 owners on here done for power connection?

What type of outlet are you using? Do you have one right behind the machine, or are you running a pigtail or something similar to allow unplugging to change blades?

What breaker type are you using (possibly US only; rules for Rod are probably different)?

I don't have any 240V outlets in my shop as yet, but I'll be getting an electrician in there soon enough. Would like to be prepared...

Thanks!

Prashun Patel
03-26-2016, 4:58 PM
I made a ten foot extension cord. My JP is on a mobile base.

Sean Troy
03-26-2016, 6:27 PM
I'll be running a pigtail behind my machine. 20amp 220v for mine with silent cutter head. I'm not sure the amp with blade cutter on the machine. I always unplug my machines when I'm not using them. We get a lot of electrical storms around here and I would rather be safe than sorry.

Rod Sheridan
03-26-2016, 6:45 PM
To hop back in here, what have the various A3-31 owners on here done for power connection?

What type of outlet are you using? Do you have one right behind the machine, or are you running a pigtail or something similar to allow unplugging to change blades?

What breaker type are you using (possibly US only; rules for Rod are probably different)?

I don't have any 240V outlets in my shop as yet, but I'll be getting an electrician in there soon enough. Would like to be prepared...

Thanks!

Hi, my machine came with a locking disconnect switch, and about 12 inches of flexible cord.

I replaced that with a few metres of flexible cord (14/3) and put a 6-20P connector on the cord which can be used with a 20 ampere 240 volt circuit.

Regards, Rod.

Steve Wurster
03-26-2016, 8:14 PM
I was thinking I could put an outlet on the ceiling, and then drop an extension cord down from there to behind the machine. Then have a pigtail on the machine that lets me unplug it. The reason for the outlet on the ceiling is that I have a basement shop and limited ability to put an outlet in a wall. Any idea if I would need to use a locking plug on the ceiling?

Is the A3-31 3-wire or 4-wire?

Is there any code reason that I couldn't go with more than 20A on the circuit, so that I could run something else at 240V on the same circuit (assuming I can fit it in, etc.)?

Separately, any suggestions on the Metric vs. Imperial handwheel?

Sean Troy
03-26-2016, 8:35 PM

From garage to shop. Now I just have to un-crate, figure a way to get it off the pallet and wire it up. Oh yea, repair the lawn I tore up when turning the BobCat.

Rod Sheridan
03-27-2016, 8:14 AM
I was thinking I could put an outlet on the ceiling, and then drop an extension cord down from there to behind the machine. Then have a pigtail on the machine that lets me unplug it. The reason for the outlet on the ceiling is that I have a basement shop and limited ability to put an outlet in a wall. Any idea if I would need to use a locking plug on the ceiling?

Is the A3-31 3-wire or 4-wire?

Is there any code reason that I couldn't go with more than 20A on the circuit, so that I could run something else at 240V on the same circuit (assuming I can fit it in, etc.)?

Separately, any suggestions on the Metric vs. Imperial handwheel?

Hi, yes, a receptacle in the ceiling will have to be a locking type.

The A3-31 requires 240 volts, no neutral so 3 conductor flexible cord.

You'll have to check with your local authority on the larger capacity circuit with multiple receptacles, where I live it's not permitted.

Definitely the metric gauge. The machine is metric, so elevation is 2mm per revolution, which is a great value for ease of use. ( 1/2 turn = 1mm etc).

My brother bought the imperial gauge and it reads 0.0787" per revolution, not intuitive at all.

Nobody will know that you made the table leg 50mm wide instead of 2", so just make the furniture metric, easier than worrying about fractions...........Rod.

Steve Wurster
03-27-2016, 5:12 PM
Hi, yes, a receptacle in the ceiling will have to be a locking type.

The A3-31 requires 240 volts, no neutral so 3 conductor flexible cord.

You'll have to check with your local authority on the larger capacity circuit with multiple receptacles, where I live it's not permitted.

Definitely the metric gauge. The machine is metric, so elevation is 2mm per revolution, which is a great value for ease of use. ( 1/2 turn = 1mm etc).

My brother bought the imperial gauge and it reads 0.0787" per revolution, not intuitive at all.

Nobody will know that you made the table leg 50mm wide instead of 2", so just make the furniture metric, easier than worrying about fractions...........Rod.

Thanks for the help!