PDA

View Full Version : Well who would have thunk it. Google news is different for different computers.

Brian Ashton
03-25-2016, 9:55 AM
I have a macbook and a lenovo sitting side by side. I was trying to determine if they had equivalent screens with respect to ease on the eyes... Thought a good site to go to would be news.google.com. The list of news headings on each of the computers is quite different, even with the same browser on each - Chrome. No idea ho what works considering I only type in news.google.com and hit enter

And by the way the two have resolutions that are indistinguishable but the mac screen is brighter and has more vibrant colours making it easier on the eyes. But! those vibrant colours cost $2000 more. I think I'll upgrade my glasses first before coughing up that amount of dough.

Art Mann
03-25-2016, 10:58 AM
I doubt if you really want to know why that is. It isn't random.

glenn bradley
03-25-2016, 11:12 AM
I doubt if you really want to know why that is. It isn't random.

heh-heh-heh; pay no attention to that man behind the curtain ;-)

Doug Garson
03-25-2016, 2:28 PM
Not an expert but I know Google uses your past search history to customize your search results. Are you logged in as the same user on both computers? Try logging out on both computers so Google doesn't know who you are, see if the pages are the same then.

Brian Ashton
03-25-2016, 10:29 PM
Not an expert but I know Google uses your past search history to customize your search results. Are you logged in as the same user on both computers? Try logging out on both computers so Google doesn't know who you are, see if the pages are the same then.

I have gmail accounts but I always log them out or untick the box that says stay logged in. I'll try the clear history and see what that does. Funny though that they would manipulate news based upon what you might have looked at earlier - news to me is, just news.

Fred Perreault
03-27-2016, 7:19 AM
Cookies, data mining, 'Use Current Location?" ..... browsers, search engines, retail sites. Knowing where we are, what we read, where we've browsed, what we buy..... it is big business, and has been for decades. You are not as anonynous as you might think. Where do you think all that spam originates? Our personal life is being sold over and over as we sleep. No, it is not random at all........