PDA

View Full Version : Professional looking Glass Tint, Paint, Ink, or Ect... for Under UV Resist.

Travis Centers
03-25-2016, 1:59 AM
Hello,

I appreciate all of the info you guys have provided in the past. I have been practicing my etching daily and getting really cool results.

I am working with Clear Glass at the moment and there is no types of Colored glass that is avaliable to me. I want to find a way to tint or color the glass evenly and professionally before I blast it. I looked into powder coating glass and it looks tedious.

I am using UV Resist for the mask.

Do any of you guys know about any kind of Films like ColorWindow Tinting Films that are durable and can be etched through after applied? I am guessing most good Window tint is Vinyl and can't be etched through with silicon carbide "Not Sure".

Or maybe even Acrylic/Ink and Mod Podge/Diamond Glaze before etching?

Looking for something that can be used with a resist mask, top rack dishwasher safe, and something that also looks professional without streaks in order to give color before etching or maybe even something to apply to the etch part after blasting.

Thanks for your time and knowledge,
Travis

Braden Todd
03-25-2016, 10:24 AM
What about a ceramics or glass paint that gets baked on at a low temp? I've seen pint glasses with color added to the bottom this way, may work for you with enough practice.

Good luck!

Bert Kemp
03-25-2016, 10:25 AM
a google search on colored glass brings up tons of colored glass every thing from flat sheets to bottles

Braden Todd
03-25-2016, 1:56 PM
If you just need flat sheets what about stained glass sheets?

Travis Centers
03-25-2016, 4:06 PM
Yeah, I think its just a matter of trial and error. I got some samples of about fifteen different things.

I was hoping to find a glass tint that works like shrink wrap and can be etched through. Not sure if it even exists.

I see a few things out there. I will just give them a go.

John Blazy
03-28-2016, 2:10 PM
google SGO - stained glass overlay.

Joe Pelonio
03-28-2016, 8:15 PM
I do stained glass art and have 3 local suppliers, I'd be surprised if there are none in your area, but I actually use vinyl for chemical etching and sandblasting, as a mask, so it will not work. You can put translucent vinyl on the back of the glass, and engrave the front for an interesting but different effect. There is also a glass spray paint made by Krylon, but I have not tried it.