PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes You Just Get Lucky

Jim Koepke
03-24-2016, 9:12 PM
While attempting to rebuild a pair of shutter motors for our greenhouse I realized there weren't any machine screws long enough in my parts stash to replace the rivets that were drilled out. Wouldn't you know it, I had 1-3/4" screws, but needed to have at least 2". So I called the local bolt supply store and asked if they had what I wanted and he had 6 on hand. That was enough for one motor.

When I arrived the counter person was helping a couple of other people so I looked around the aisles. In the file display I saw a box with auger files marked $4.99. When the other guys were finished I told him what I came in to get. He held up a small bag with the screws with nylock nuts and said he was just going to give them to me. I told him if the price on the box was right I wanted the 5 auger files. He wasn't sure of the maker, and thought it was Iverson. He got them out and checked and said, those are mis-marked, they should be $5.99 and asked if I still wanted them. Well, okay he also told me they were a discontinued item and there wouldn't be any more. When they were on the counter I could see the maker's stamp, Nicholson, Made in USA.

So hopefully I now have a lifetime supply of auger files.

I kind of like my local bolt supply house. They do have a lot of stock, but for many items it is best to give them a few days. I got a good price on 1,000 brass, 1-1/4" flat head wood screws from them in the past.

jtk

Steve Bates
03-24-2016, 9:35 PM
You Suck! :D

Brent Cutshall
03-24-2016, 9:38 PM
Wow! I gasped when I saw that. You wouldn't mind me borrowing one would you? Hah ha hah!

Patrick Chase
03-24-2016, 9:42 PM
Wow, nice score.

Glen Canaday
03-24-2016, 9:44 PM
Nice!

I've got the Italian one from TFWW. How do they compare to what else is on the market?

Stew Denton
03-24-2016, 10:01 PM
Hi Jim,

As the saying goes, ya did good!

Stew

Art Mann
03-24-2016, 11:07 PM
I thought we weren't using "that" phrase any more.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-25-2016, 5:46 AM
I thought we weren't using "that" phrase any more.

Steve didn't get the memo, but I am glad he said it. :D But seriously- that was a great find. New duck.

Chris Hachet
03-25-2016, 7:27 AM
Fantastic! Glad to see you got these...

Tom M King
03-25-2016, 7:38 AM
Man! You're right about a lifetime supply, probably. I haven't worn out the first one I bought several decades ago.