PDA

View Full Version : Thrust Bearing for Bandsaw

Gregory King
03-24-2016, 7:25 PM
Well, the short version of my story is that I just acquired a 16" Walker Turner band saw that is in dire need of a thrust washer replacement. The outside diameter is roughly 1 9/16". Does anyone know where such an item can be found. Short of a Carter upgrade for now. Looks like the one I have [original, I suspect] is mount permanently on the shaft.

I'll give the long gloat version of this story before the week-end is over. With pictures too. And with a little luck, I'll finally update my 3 year old thread on the 14" General planer as well. Thanks. Greg

Tom M King
03-24-2016, 7:33 PM
Carter sells individual parts.

Jim Finn
03-24-2016, 7:46 PM
Look in your local yellow pages for a bearing dealer. Take your old one to them and there is a good chance they will have some in stock . It is likely to be the cheapest place to get one.

Stan Calow
03-24-2016, 8:31 PM
Grainger is worth a look, if you know the dimensions.

David Kumm
03-25-2016, 12:14 AM
There are a lot of W-T guys at owwm.org. They will know as will Bobby at woodworkerstoolworks.com Dave

Terry Therneau
03-25-2016, 6:58 AM
spaceageceramics.com lists a part for the WT. I have no experience with how good they are.
The thrust bearing on WT saws (and in fact several WT machines) is an odd size that cannot easily be found.

Mike Wilkins
03-25-2016, 12:47 PM
Get the outside and inside diameter measurements, go to the local farm supply store or well-stocked hardware store and find an equivalent size.
I did that for a late 40's/early 50's Craftsman band saw I recently restored.

Jon McElwain
03-25-2016, 12:58 PM
Napa has an excellent selection of bearings at very reasonable prices. I've bought several bearings that I thought would be more odd-ball since they came out of woodworking tools, but they have always had what I needed.

Gregory King
03-25-2016, 1:52 PM
Thanks all. I'll check with some local suppliers first. Without any kind of a part # to start with, I'll probably get the shoulder shrug and 4 head look from the sales person. I did check the web this morning and Woodworkers Tool Works appears to be a good source perhaps. If they don't have seems, they are willing to make. Greg 334521334522334523