PDA

View Full Version : Lathe searching

Chris Daigh
09-15-2005, 12:01 PM
Certainly most here like the Jet lathes, I am just wondering why the Delta isn't liked as much. I want to turn bowls and HFs eventually. Probably just use glue blocks for a while. I have an ad for a Delta 46-700 for $250 with some tools and such. Ebay also has a new 46-715 for $520 with free shipping. Is this lathe worth it. What is its pros and cons. Thanks

John Shuk
09-15-2005, 1:11 PM
I haven't used either lathe and have a Jet 1236. I like it okay. Looking at the Delta I think I would prefer Delta over Jet on this machine. They are basically equals though. I would say that you should check the price on amazon or even a local dealer. Usually EBAY doesn't have the best deal on tools I've found. Not the rule but it is what I have seen. I don't think that there is an outstanding lathe in this category that isn't highly priced. I don't think that anybody has come out with a new design to fit this niche. I think if you buy a lathe in this price range you are likely to want an upgrade in the future. It will however let you do some moderate sized pieces and get you little farther into the hobby than a mini would do.

Kurt Aebi
09-15-2005, 1:33 PM
Chris,

I don't use either, I have a Harbor Freight 12" x 36" Variable Speed that is basically a knock-off of the Jet or Delta.

I think that depending on the condition of the lathe, $250.00 with tools wouldn't be a bad deal. Maybe try to talk him down to around $200 and it would be even better. I'd make sure I looked at the lathe in person, if you could before making your decision.

Delta, Jet, Harbor Freight & other similar lathes all use the same type of variable speed drive (Reeve's - adjustable pulley system). Delta & Jet have a better motor and better finish on the casting. The HF lathe is often on sale at their retail stores for around $180.00 and for another $35 or so youcan extend the warranty another 2 years.