PDA

View Full Version : Laser engraving car windows

Josh Ledger
03-24-2016, 3:23 PM
Hey guys, quick question. I have a friend who has some rear quarter windows from an older Cadillac and he wanted to know if I could engrave them (they are out of the car).

I know that they use safety glass for car windows. Has anyone engraved a car window before? If so, any tips or recommendations or anything I should be aware of?

Thanks guys!

Keith Winter
03-24-2016, 3:46 PM
This sounds pretty cool, please post photos once you try it!

Braden Todd
03-24-2016, 4:41 PM
I sandblasted my cousins window before, I'd post a link to it but it's on my website.

Worked well ill and id assume a laser would work too, just watch to make sure you're in focus and putting the engraving on straight. The window I did made it tricky to ensure the design was level.

Good luck!

David Somers
03-24-2016, 4:47 PM
Josh, Perhaps get some similar glass from a wrecking yard to practice on before you work on his actual windows?

Mike Null
03-24-2016, 6:14 PM
It should work perfectly well. We used to do 2" x 2" samples of auto glass for a glass mfr. My recollection is that we did a couple of hundred with each order.

Ferro, owner of Thermark, has this posted on their site.

Josh Ledger
03-24-2016, 9:53 PM
My friend actually has a spare window that he said I could run tests on so I will definitely test settings on that beforehand. I'll post some pictures of how it comes out! Thanks guys.

Joe Pelonio
03-24-2016, 10:41 PM
I watch a lot of car shows on TV (Velocity Channel) ad have seen it done with lettering and even photos several times, and some manufacturers engrave the VIN into the window glass, and it appears to be laser.