PDA

View Full Version : Leather Bound Photo Album

Roger McDowell
03-24-2016, 2:13 PM
I have a customer that wants me to engrave name and date on a leather bound photo album. He was just going to buy an inexpensive album on Amazon ($15 made by Pioneer). Anyone have ideas on better sources for photo albums that have proven to engrave well or ideas on how well this will engrave with a 50W Universal Laser?

Bert Kemp
03-24-2016, 2:28 PM
I would say it depends on the quality, thickness and type of leather. Most leather I've engrave comes out just fine but if its very thin you risk cutting thru it even when engraving if your setting are to high. Look at Tandy leather see if thet sell a Photo album kit.

I have a customer that wants me to engrave name and date on a leather bound photo album. He was just going to buy an inexpensive album on Amazon ($15 made by Pioneer). Anyone have ideas on better sources for photo albums that have proven to engrave well or ideas on how well this will engrave with a 50W Universal Laser? http://www dot tandyleather dot com/en/product/leather-tablet-case-kit-large

Could be used as a photo album cover just engrave instead of stamping , several others on tangy site

Mike Null
03-24-2016, 5:58 PM
Most that I've seen have leather good enough for engraving, in fact, many are excellent. JDS has some faux leather that looks quite good and engraves beautifully. (I think the coozies in a recent post are the same material)

Adding to Bert's comment about thin leather, laser engraving makes it brittle which can cause it to crack.

I enjoy engraving leather more than any material I can think of. Here's an elk hide I did for the Missouri Historical Museum. They stretched it and hung it as a sign.

Roger McDowell
03-28-2016, 4:47 PM
I didn't see any photo albums at the Tandy website. The one I ordered off Amazon arrived today so I guess I'll just have to start with a low power setting to ensure I don't burn through. For my 50W Universal recommends 23% power at 100% speed.

Thanks for your inputs.

Mike Null
03-28-2016, 4:55 PM
That's a good place to start although I'm at about twice the power on my 45 w Trotec. I tend to engrave thicker pieces and refuse the thin stuff.

Bert Kemp
03-28-2016, 5:07 PM
IK engrave 5oz and above at 350 mmps and 20%power