PDA

View Full Version : A Question for the Finishing Experts

David Tolsky
03-24-2016, 1:07 PM
Hello, I'm a newbie to finishing, and this is my first venture into this forum. I spend most of my time up in Woodworking and Power Tools, General.

I make specialty dovetail jointed boxes for camera assistants in the media field. They are made of hardwoods such as maple, oak, walnut, mahogany, ash, purpleheart, etc. I would like to put a nice sheen on the boxes, although they are used out in the field on location on a daily basis. They mount to a tripod under the camera. I sand to about 220 grit. I would like a gloss, but not so blinding that it would draw attention. What type of finish would you recommend? 334419

David Tolsky
03-24-2016, 2:48 PM
18 views and no answers? Have I said something wrong?

Prashun Patel
03-24-2016, 2:56 PM
I would recommend a wipe on polyurethane. It's going to be reasonably durable and will take some abrasion with relative grace.

You're planning to keep it out of the elements, right?

Robert Hazelwood
03-24-2016, 2:58 PM
Chill, it happens. Yours is a pretty broad question that could be answered with "just about anything".

I suggest you keep it simple for a field item. Wipe-on poly, semi-gloss. 3 to 5 coats. It's durable in use, easy to apply, and attractive.

David Tolsky
03-24-2016, 8:21 PM
Yes it will be kept out of the elements. So a typical Minwax poly found at Lowe's or HD would do the trick? Just curious, why not a Watco teak oil or Fornby's linseed oil or anything oil based?

Prashun Patel
03-24-2016, 9:18 PM
Mwax poly is oil based. That is, the minwax fast drying polyurethane or wipe on poly is oil based. But it forms a hard resin film.

the other products you mention contain actual non drying oil, so they dont build a thick film and dont offer as much protection as the filming poly.

but its not inapprpropriAte if you are willing to wipe and keep standing water off it. Lots of rubbing will wear through the oil finishes easily but they can be replenished if you want by just cleaning with mineral spirits and re applying the oil.