PDA

View Full Version : Wood Storage

Michael Sloop
03-24-2016, 7:49 AM
Hello All.

I just got my hands on a bunch of rough sawn lumber (walnut, oak, cypress, etc.). I have read various posts on how to stack the wood, with a multitude of opinions.

I have a overhang off my shed where I'd like to store this lumber. The overhand should prevent rain from hitting the boards, hurricanes excluded! The boards will not get much, if any, direct sunlight. Is that a concern?

My plan is to lay some sacrificial boards on the ground and then stack the wood on top of that. I'm thinking 3 to 4 rows, stacking as high as 5 feet tall. I expect the top boards will warp, but hopefully whats underneath with stay relatively flat. I'm thinking about using straps along the boards in an attempt to help them stay flat. What do you think?

I'm not sure I see the need for a vapor barrier on the bottom since the boards are off the ground and covered, correct me if i'm wrong please.

As far as marking the boards to keep track of the species, what is the best method you've seen? Just a sharpie on the end? A piece of tape with the name written on it?

Thanks!

Cody Colston
03-24-2016, 8:13 AM
How green is the lumber? If it's right off the saw, you need a minimum of 4' space around both sides of the stack for air flow. Fans would be a good idea until the MC is below 30%.

If it's already at or below 30% MC, then just put it on a flat base, at least 12" off the ground. The lumber will eventually assume the shape of the base so if it's not flat, the lumber won't be, either. Use stickers (wood slats) between the layers, no less than every two feet along the length. 3/4" thickness is the minimum for stickers. Keep the end stickers fairly close to the lumber ends because checking rarely extends beyond the first sticker. Ratchet straps around the stacks will help keep it flat but they have to be re-tightened as the lumber dries and shrinks. You don't want direct sunlight on the lumber.

As for marking the lumber type, I use a piece of cardboard stapled to the end of the stack, not for species identification but noting the date it was stacked. A sharpie, tape, different colored paint...anything that will stay in place is okay. You could even spray paint the species on the sides of the stack itself. It will be removed when the lumber is milled prior to working it.

Congrats on the lumber score.

Michael Sloop
03-24-2016, 8:24 AM
Hi Cody, thanks for the response. I'm on cloud 9 right now about getting all this lumber.

I don't know the exact MC, but my understanding is the wood was stored outside for over 10 years.

I was thinking about making a wood rack outside, under my shelter. A simple structure that uses 2x4s for the frame and then spacing 2x4 pretty close (~2'?) along the boards for the base. Do I need to put down plywood to make it more "flat" or can the lumber just lay on the 2x4?

Use stickers "no less" or no more than every 2 feet along the length?

Thanks again!

Bryan Lisowski
03-24-2016, 9:55 AM
I would invest in a moisture meter, so you can determine what the moisture content is at least twice a year. You mentioned it was air dried for 10 years, you may be able to store in your shop, depending on MC. So go buy a moisture meter and find out the current MC. I believe for the base, you should go to Borg and get cinder blocks for the base. And congrats on the great score!

Cody Colston
03-24-2016, 12:20 PM
Hi Cody, thanks for the response. I'm on cloud 9 right now about getting all this lumber.

I don't know the exact MC, but my understanding is the wood was stored outside for over 10 years.

I was thinking about making a wood rack outside, under my shelter. A simple structure that uses 2x4s for the frame and then spacing 2x4 pretty close (~2'?) along the boards for the base. Do I need to put down plywood to make it more "flat" or can the lumber just lay on the 2x4?

Use stickers "no less" or no more than every 2 feet along the length?

Thanks again!

My bad...that would be "no more" than 2 ft. spacing. If your lumber has been air dyring for 10 years it will be at EMC...probably somewhere around 12% - 13%. It will be fine resting on the 2x4's - no need for plywood.

You don't have to be concerned about a lot of air space around it either, either and could probably even dead stack it (no stickers) without any issues. Before working it for indoor projects, bring it into your shop and let it acclimate a few weeks.

Congrats again. That's a good variety of lumber.