PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading Jet 14x42 to VFD

Bob Bergstrom
03-23-2016, 11:07 PM
Our club has a 14x42 that we wanted to upgrade. Two of of member have experience with the controllers and we had a 2hp.pump motor. They bought a Teco controller and bolted it to back of the headstock. The motor mount consists of a piece of angle iron with two short sections of pipe welded to one edge and bolted to the back of the headstock. A steel plate was bolted to the motor mount and two cooresponding sections of pipe that allowed a steel rod snugly pass through the four sections of pipe. We removed the reaves drive pullies and put in new bearings. We are trying to configure a way to engage the spindle lock.

Brian Myers
03-24-2016, 7:15 AM
Did the spindle lock engage the back of the reeves pulley ? If so does the key way on the spindle extend far enough toward the back that it is across from spindle lock ?

Bob Bergstrom
03-24-2016, 8:52 AM
They put in new single pulley so no indent. It is a 2 horse 3400 rpm motor so power shouldn't be a problem. We also lost the readout, but they are going to put a tach on it and mark the speeds on the dial. They will refurbish the belt cover also.

Dick Strauss
03-24-2016, 11:54 AM
You did a good job of getting the motor out of the way for platters. This was a major weakness with the original design and has been corrected with the latest version finally.

I re-used the pulley half that had the indents for indexing on my Delta 1440 conversion. On the Delta it is the closest to the handle wheel side of the headstock so I stacked it on the shaft after the 3-step pulley. Maybe you can do something similar.

Mike Goetzke
03-24-2016, 2:17 PM
Nice upgrade.

Bob - I visited you club once a while back. The signature on the lathe reminded me of that. I need to find time to visit or join.

Mike

Bob Bergstrom
03-24-2016, 6:26 PM
Nice upgrade.

Bob - I visited you club once a while back. The signature on the lathe reminded me of that. I need to find time to visit or join.

Mike
Mike, would be great to see you. We are there on Weds from 5 to 8 and Sat. from 9am till about 12:30. We could try some coring with the McNaughton. We have a 3520 that should get it done. Just let me know so I'll make sure I'm there.

Bob Bergstrom
03-24-2016, 6:33 PM
You did a good job of getting the motor out of the way for platters. This was a major weakness with the original design and has been corrected with the latest version finally.

I re-used the pulley half that had the indents for indexing on my Delta 1440 conversion. On the Delta it is the closest to the handle wheel side of the headstock so I stacked it on the shaft after the 3-step pulley. Maybe you can do something similar.
Dick, you are so right about how they positioned the motor. We had a demo one night and had to remove the fan cover to clear the wood blank. Sounds like you planed out your swap well. We are going to upgrade some other lathes and we will think of better ways than the Jet. We have a Jet 12-20 5 speed begging for a upgrade.

Dick Strauss
03-25-2016, 9:29 AM
Bob,
I sold an older Jet 1442 for a widow friend. Her husband had been a patternmaker. He had ground away part of the fan cover and fan blade to make more room for a platter or faceplate once upon a time. It was kind of hard to sell because of the "modifications". Once folks understood he was correcting a design defect, it wasn't such a hard sell.

By the way, it looks like you have room for a 2 or 3 step pulley on the spindle if you ever want to upgrade...

Brian Myers
03-25-2016, 12:20 PM
Bob , If the key way in the spindle extends back far enough you could have something like this made for the spindle lock to engage. 334507 This is what the spindle lock plunger on my YA J170 engages. It goes on the spindle just like the pulley and has a set screw.

Bob Bergstrom
03-25-2016, 12:29 PM
Bob , If the key way in the spindle extends back far enough you could have something like this made for the spindle lock to engage. 334507 This is what the spindle lock plunger on my YA J170 engages. It goes on the spindle just like the pulley and has a set screw.

Looks like a great idea Brian. Robust has 4 notches so it lock every 90 degrees. Should be a simple fabrication. Thanks for sharing.

Bob Bergstrom
03-26-2016, 7:08 PM
Worked on the cover today. We upscale the original by cutting the bottom loose from the side weld and straight into 2/3 of it and curving the last section around the pulley. A little bonds and paint and it should look good.

Bob Bergstrom
04-02-2016, 3:08 PM
Paul finished ups along the original Jet metal pulley and belt guard. Really loos good and safe.