PDA

View Full Version : drywall dust

Brad Hammond
09-15-2005, 11:03 AM
ok..... the mud guys are just about finished with the sanding and i got a quick question for ya'll.

about 10 yrs ago when i was helpin build houses we had an "aggregate" that was kinda rubberized in small particles. you could spread this in a room and sweep it across the floor picking up ALOT of drywall and spackling dust. it cut down on the dust a great deal! but i cant seem to find anything like that anymore and no one seems to know what i'm talkin about around here.

any suggestions? anyone else heard anything about a product like this?

thanx all!
brad

Lee Schierer
09-15-2005, 11:57 AM
We use it here in the shop. It's called sweeping compound. Do a google search and you will find lots of sources.

You can also dampen sawdust, let it soak for a few days and sprinkle it around before sweeping to keep the dust down.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-15-2005, 12:25 PM
Brad....if it's the sweeping compound I've used in the past, I've been able to find it in auto supply stores and farm supply stores that are well stocked. The stuff I've used looked like a wood or clay particle with some red chemical on it......Good luck!

Brad Hammond
09-16-2005, 11:06 AM
yeah that's it!!!!!!!!!!! i was searchin for the wrong thing. thanx all!

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-17-2005, 12:15 AM
Hey Brad, have you tried "Wet" or damp sending. When LOML and I decided to help our son remodel a 75 year old house, we didn't want a lot of sanding dust.

Basically, what I did was use a damp sponge between each coat and we didn't have ANY dust. It was also very smooth!

Bruce