PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to Jet brand knives on 6" jointer?

Michael Yadfar
03-23-2016, 8:08 PM
I have an older 6" Jet jointer which I bought used, and I've never used any other knives then the spares I was given with the jointer which are Jet brand. When I was looking at replacements on the Internet, the Jet brand ones are rather pricey at $60-100 a set. I also saw some people say they're not the best quality either. I'm wondering if there are alternative brands with a cheaper and good quality product?

Art Mann
03-23-2016, 9:12 PM
I have bought jointer knives from Global Tooling and they work just fine. The ones for my old Ridgid jointer are so low cost that I just buy new ones instead of getting them sharpened. See link below.

http://globaltooling.bizhosting.com/products/knives-planer/t1-hss-v2-hss-planer-knife-sets.html

lowell holmes
03-23-2016, 9:12 PM
I've had good luck buying shaper knives from Infinity. I would not hesitate to buy jointer knives from them.

If I ever have to replace my planer knives, it will be from Infinity.

Amazon has a good selection for 6"X1/8" jointer Knives.

When I replaced the knives on my 6" Jet jointer, I bought them on line. I think they were in the $30 range.

I suspect they were from Infinity, I just don't remember.

High speed steel is what I bought.

You might want to look at a Duelen Jig for sharpening jointer knives. I have one and it does a great job.

Andrew Hughes
03-23-2016, 9:18 PM
Michael does your Jointer have the Quick set knives.?

scott spencer
03-23-2016, 9:56 PM
Lots of suppliers of jointer knives - infinity, Holbren, Hartville Tool, Amazon, Grizzly, Rockler, Woodcraft,etc.

Barry Richardson
03-23-2016, 10:01 PM
Before I went to carbide inserts, I found the same thing with Delta knives, very expensive. I found Freud Knives on Amazon that were way cheaper, and better IMO... Jointer knives are pretty standard, It should be no problem using other makers knives...

Michael Yadfar
03-23-2016, 11:45 PM
Michael does your Jointer have the Quick set knives.?

No, it's not the quick set, it's an older jointer

David Sloan
03-24-2016, 10:46 AM
I have an older 6" Jet jointer which I bought used, and I've never used any other knives then the spares I was given with the jointer which are Jet brand. When I was looking at replacements on the Internet, the Jet brand ones are rather pricey at $60-100 a set. I also saw some people say they're not the best quality either. I'm wondering if there are alternative brands with a cheaper and good quality product?

I just replaced my original 8" jointer knives with HSS knives from Infinity. Very pleased with them.

lowell holmes
03-30-2016, 8:46 PM
I received an Infinity catalog today. They have high speed steel and also carbide tipped jointer knives. I thought you might like to know.

Bruce Wrenn
03-31-2016, 10:03 PM
Another vote for Global Tooling. Brian over at Holbern also sells them. You can find him on another site.