PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaws & mobile base - need advice

earl wojciechowski
03-23-2016, 6:32 PM
Hello,
I am considering purchasing a band saw. One of the constraints that I have is floor space. I can not dedicate a space to just the band saw. An option I am considering is using a mobile base with the bandsaw. The thought is that the mobile base will allow me to move the band saw when I need to use it and move it back to the wall out of the way when I am done. I have done this with my planner and chop saw. Both are on home made cabinets on wheels.

I am considering the Powermatic PM1500 and would appreciate any feedback if using a mobile base in the manner described above is feasible ? If so, what are the tradeoffs with keeping the bandsaw on the mobile base while in use.

TIA

Earl Wojo

Ben Rivel
03-23-2016, 6:36 PM
Of course it is. I and many others around here have their bandsaws on mobile bases. Just make sure if its the style of base where the saw is constantly resting on the wheels you use casters that are rated for more than the load and that they are made of a good material that wont fall apart or get indents on you in time and under the weight.

This is how I built my mobile base for my Hammer N4400: LINK (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?238750-Mobile-Base-For-Hammer-N4400-Bandsaw)

Charles Wiggins
03-23-2016, 6:52 PM
Very doable. I've got an 18" Jet bandsaw on a mobile base. I don't have to move it much, but it's handy for cleaning time. Just make sure you get one that locks securely. You don't want it moving when you're trying to make a cut.

Cary Falk
03-23-2016, 6:58 PM
Of course everything on wheels is feasible. Sometimes it is necessary.:D
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/20160323_155214_zpsrpa0j1sy.jpg

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q297/caryincamas/DSC_0426.jpg

Gregory Carles
03-23-2016, 8:03 PM
I have a shop fox mobile base that my Grizzly sits on.

Dave Zellers
03-23-2016, 9:09 PM
Mobile bases are a must. Mobile bases double or triple the capability of your available space. With many tools, you can easily make your own but with a bandsaw you need to consider table height. Making your own (without getting very clever) will likely increase the working height by 5 inches or so. That's where welded mobile bases that only add an inch to the height come in. Consider it part of the cost of the saw. You'll regret not putting it on wheels.

Lee Schierer
03-23-2016, 9:33 PM
Just be aware that a band saw is inherently top heavy so it can tip over easily on an uneven floor or if the base hits debris on the floor when you are rolling it around.

Eric Anderson
03-23-2016, 9:53 PM
I have the PM1500 on a jet 708119 mobile base. I put two layers of 3/4" plywood on the base and secured the plywood to the base with four bolts, one on each corner. The base is size adjustable and is rated for 1200 lbs, so I figured it was sufficient over kill. Once the saw was on the base, I lag bolted the saw to the base with 1/4" lag bolts, so there is no problem with the saw possible tipping over when being moved. The jet base locks securely and moves quite easily. You will love the PM1500, it is a beast of a saw and really well built with great fit and finish and easy to set up and adjust. The 3 hp motor had amazing power and dust collection is amazing.

Patrick Curry
03-23-2016, 10:39 PM
A few weeks ago I had some appliance guys delivering a new dishwasher and they had this hard but somewhat flexible plastic sheet used to slide the washer along the floor. About 10 minutes later I had that sheet under my 18" bandsaw and was pulling it across my garage with relative ease.

So for anyone who doesn't need to move their bandsaw but would like the option, check into it. The guy didn't have a brand name for it but he mentioned a local industrial supply shop that carried them. Not as nice as a mobile base of course but I thought it was a good alternative for someone like myself that doesn't need to move their saw often (at all)

Jim German
03-24-2016, 7:55 AM
Mobile bases are a must. Mobile bases double or triple the capability of your available space. With many tools, you can easily make your own but with a bandsaw you need to consider table height. Making your own (without getting very clever) will likely increase the working height by 5 inches or so. That's where welded mobile bases that only add an inch to the height come in. Consider it part of the cost of the saw. You'll regret not putting it on wheels.

I looked at the increased table height as a benefit. The base I made raised my table by 6" or so and has made the bandsaw much more comfortable for me to use.

Al Launier
03-24-2016, 8:06 AM
Just be aware that a band saw is inherently top heavy so it can tip over easily on an uneven floor or if the base hits debris on the floor when you are rolling it around.

Ditto to this!

Prashun Patel
03-24-2016, 9:13 AM
Michael Heffernan had a post on making a mobile base from 2x3 tube steel and Great Lakes Casters. I love it. The added height is a GREAT thing imho.

If I could do it again, though, I'd use casters with a locking brake that is foot operated. I move my bandsaw a LOT and the dial in casters from GL are a pain bkz you have to bend down. So I tend to never lock them down, which can have issues on beefier rips on the bandsaw.

Mike Wilkins
03-24-2016, 10:26 AM
I have had a Laguna LT18 on a mobile base since the day it arrived. I have one of the Shop Fox bases; 2 fixed casters and 2 rotating casters, with the turn screw to anchor one end to the floor. I have never had a concern with being tippy; likely because the wheels are mounted outside of the base itself. I don't move it much, but it is stable when moving, and stable when in use after locking the base. Grizzly has a nice selection of mobile bases.

Daniel O'Neill
03-24-2016, 12:35 PM
My bandsaw is on a mobile base too. Just make sure it stops level (which can be a floor issue not the base per se). I put my tablesaw on a base too. Home made so that it's about 1" taller and that's it. Someday I'll build one out of iron angles to be sturdier but use the same space. Have fun!

Erik Loza
03-24-2016, 12:46 PM
I can't find the thread but some bandsaw owner made a model base of cement. It was ingenious! Just make a form out of 2x4's and pour it. Then, drill the bottom for casters and the top for bolts or studs to secure the machine. For some reason, there is a stigma about using cement in or with ww'ing machines but actually, it's ideal. Inexpensive, never rusts, adds a ton of stability, and you can custom make any size you need. That's would I would do if it were my machine.

Erik

Chris Fournier
03-25-2016, 12:12 PM
I can't find the thread but some bandsaw owner made a model base of cement. It was ingenious! Just make a form out of 2x4's and pour it. Then, drill the bottom for casters and the top for bolts or studs to secure the machine. For some reason, there is a stigma about using cement in or with ww'ing machines but actually, it's ideal. Inexpensive, never rusts, adds a ton of stability, and you can custom make any size you need. That's would I would do if it were my machine.

Erik

I helped move a Martin T54 Jointer into a second story millwork shop many years ago. That thing proved to be extremely heavy, surprisingly so. When we got it into position I started to go over the machine in detail. Surprise surprise the sheet metal base was poured full of concrete. Back in the day it was in the $30000.00 ballpark, Martin had no qualms about concrete either!

Carroll Courtney
03-25-2016, 12:29 PM
If there was a like button I would push it on Erik's post,that is a neat ideal-----Carroll

Erik Loza
03-25-2016, 2:49 PM
I helped move a Martin T54 Jointer into a second story millwork shop many years ago. That thing proved to be extremely heavy, surprisingly so. When we got it into position I started to go over the machine in detail. Surprise surprise the sheet metal base was poured full of concrete. Back in the day it was in the $30000.00 ballpark, Martin had no qualms about concrete either!

Yep. That's why you can barely feel them run. SCM sticks big concrete castings in the base of many sliding table saws but Martin, I believe, uses it in all their machines.

There was a Minimax customer once who actually cemented his bandsaw in place. As in, "poured concrete around the base". Not sure if I would go that far.

Erik

John Ziebron
03-26-2016, 9:55 AM
In setting up my new shop my Rikon 18" BS is out in the middle of the floor so I wanted to make it mobile. I took the liberty of "borrowing" the idea of the system on my Grizzly jointer and planer. I'm also fortunate enough to have some basic metal working equipment. The pedal assembly is well within the overhang of the table so walking around the BS is not an issue. The 2nd pic shows the pedal assembly in the mobile position which only raises the BS about 1/4 inch.

Rod Sheridan
03-26-2016, 6:50 PM
The best mobile bases are the semi-live skid designs which is why you see it used on so many European machines.

It raises the machine only a tiny amount, is available in unlimited weight capacities, and the machine is extremely stable once you put it in place.

It's also the least expensive option............Regards, Rod.

mreza Salav
03-26-2016, 6:58 PM
My 24" bandsaw has built-in wheels that allow me to put the bandsaw against the wall and then pull it out when I want to use. Even on wheels it is very heavy to push/pull it so there is absolutely no unwanted movement; it is very stable.

Robert Hayward
03-26-2016, 9:12 PM
My PM1500 sits on a ShopFox D2058A since the day I uncrated it in my garage. Really convenient to be able to move the machine out of the way, out into the driveway for big jobs or whatever else.

Mitchell Garnett
03-30-2016, 12:10 PM
I plagiarized Mike's mobile base when I got a 19" saw several years ago. As noted by another poster, I don't move my very much - mostly for cleaning - so I haven't experienced any issues from the high center gravity of the bandsaw.

Here's a link to what I think it the original post: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?119068-Mobile-Base-for-Bandsaw

Mitchell

David Davies
03-30-2016, 7:06 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?224218-Concrete-Mobile-Base

Dave

Erik Loza
03-30-2016, 7:27 PM
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?224218-Concrete-Mobile-Base

Dave

THAT'S THE ONE!

Thanks, Dave.

Erik

David Davies
03-30-2016, 7:50 PM
As I was thinking about this concrete and recognizing that most of my machines are mobile through the use of a narrow fork pallet jacket couldn't you form in channels for the forks of the pallet jack in a concrete base and eliminate the need for casters? You'd probably need some way to level the top/bottom of the concrete base though.

Dave

Erik Loza
03-31-2016, 10:56 AM
As I was thinking about this concrete and recognizing that most of my machines are mobile through the use of a narrow fork pallet jacket couldn't you form in channels for the forks of the pallet jack in a concrete base and eliminate the need for casters? You'd probably need some way to level the top/bottom of the concrete base though.

Dave

I would drill the underside and epoxy in threaded inserts or studs. From there, install leveling casters such as the Zambus, like many owners already use. So, you would not necesarily have to be any expert at pouring forms as long as you can drill reasonably straight.

Erik