PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman table saw 113.299510

John Benson 4
03-23-2016, 4:47 PM
I am considering purchasing this saw for $300.00 to replace a Craftsman flex drive saw that I have gotten good use out of for the past 5 years. Is there anything I should be aware of and is this a reasonable price? It seems a little high, but the saw appears to be in excellent condition.

I am an amatuer woodworker, mainly small pieces of furniture, and close to 80 years old. Will this saw outlast me???

Curt Harms
03-24-2016, 8:30 AM
That seems pretty expensive to me though I'm no expert on those saws. What fence does it have? If the fence is original, I'd think $125 - $200 depending on condition. If for example it had a Biesmeyer aftermarket fence the fence might be worth more than the saw. Again, I'm no expert and supply & demand enter into it.

Frankie Hunt
03-24-2016, 8:53 AM
The saw part is decent. The fence could be another thing. If it is the fence that came with the saw then its not a very good fence. (Hard to slide, wont lock parallel to the blade, cannot trust the fence scale,etc)

Get a decent saw with an nice fence. (Biesmeyer, Unifence, Delta T2, Vega or one of the newer Craftsman or Ridgid fences)

A good fence will increase your accuracy, safety and sawing pleasure! Don't underestimate the value of the fence!

You can always change the fence, but you need to keep that in mind on total cost of the saw. The saw you are looking at is $300 and a new Delta T2 costs almost $200. You could find a much better saw for $500! I have seen the Ridgid table saws on craigslist for as little as $300 and it has a decent fence already.

scott spencer
03-24-2016, 12:01 PM
It might be worth $300 if it's got the updated Exacta-cut or Align-a-rip fence, and has cast iron wings, is complete with blade guard, miter guage, and/or is in like new/mint condition with some nice extras like a mobile base. If it's got the old Emerson steel fence and/or is missing parts, not in good condition, etc., it's worth less than half that. A pic would help.

Doug Garson
03-24-2016, 12:30 PM
The saw part is decent. The fence could be another thing. If it is the fence that came with the saw then its not a very good fence. (Hard to slide, wont lock parallel to the blade, cannot trust the fence scale,etc)

Get a decent saw with an nice fence. (Biesmeyer, Unifence, Delta T2, Vega or one of the newer Craftsman or Ridgid fences)

A good fence will increase your accuracy, safety and sawing pleasure! Don't underestimate the value of the fence!

You can always change the fence, but you need to keep that in mind on total cost of the saw. The saw you are looking at is $300 and a new Delta T2 costs almost $200. You could find a much better saw for $500! I have seen the Ridgid table saws on craigslist for as little as $300 and it has a decent fence already.
I agree with the importance of a good fence. Where can you get a Delta T2 for under $200? I paid that for one a few years ago but they are getting harder to find. Amazon has it for $395!

Bruce Page
03-24-2016, 12:39 PM
I had one before I upgraded to a Unisaw. The original fence on mine was unadulterated junk. I upgraded it to a Shop Fox fence and was still unhappy.
You could do a lot better for not much more $$.

Frankie Hunt
03-24-2016, 1:17 PM
I agree with the importance of a good fence. Where can you get a Delta T2 for under $200? I paid that for one a few years ago but they are getting harder to find. Amazon has it for $395!

As I wrote my original response I put $400 in the notes, then I thought I should do a google search and get a more up to date price. I found one for $195 and made the less than $200 remark. I suppose $400 is more realistic however I did another search and found this one for $220.

http://www.performancetoolcenter.com/delta-36-t30-30-inch-t3-fence-system/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwoM63BRDK_bf4_MeV3ZEBEiQAuQWqkQz_uPs L-RADrx9GA0Rv1xVZTzGSiRUjBDZ7uceMGFYaAs6k8P8HAQ

Lee Schierer
03-24-2016, 1:49 PM
I have almost that same saw and it does a pretty good job in a hobby wood shop. I have used it for over 20 years. With good blades and a tune up it is capable of good precision. However, the stock fence and miter gauge are not worth their weight in scrap metal. As others have said if it has extension wings, a decent after market fence and miter gauge it could be worth $300. It will be better than your flex drive saw.

Doug Garson
03-24-2016, 3:55 PM
As I wrote my original response I put $400 in the notes, then I thought I should do a google search and get a more up to date price. I found one for $195 and made the less than $200 remark. I suppose $400 is more realistic however I did another search and found this one for $220.

http://www.performancetoolcenter.com/delta-36-t30-30-inch-t3-fence-system/?gclid=Cj0KEQjwoM63BRDK_bf4_MeV3ZEBEiQAuQWqkQz_uPs L-RADrx9GA0Rv1xVZTzGSiRUjBDZ7uceMGFYaAs6k8P8HAQ

Agreed, much better price, even their regular price is $75 lower than Amazon. I never found that one when I searched. I note it says T3 not T2 but looks just like my T2. I was interested because I recommended that fence to someone who was upgrading their saw but I noted the $395 US price at Amazon was too high. I'll pass this link on. I wonder what the difference is between the T2 and T3? Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread but if the T3 is as good as the T2 it might be a good option for the OP on the Craftsman saw he is considering.

scott spencer
03-25-2016, 7:47 AM
Still here John Benson 4?

Agreed, much better price, even their regular price is $75 lower than Amazon. I never found that one when I searched. I note it says T3 not T2 but looks just like my T2. I was interested because I recommended that fence to someone who was upgrading their saw but I noted the $395 US price at Amazon was too high. I'll pass this link on. I wonder what the difference is between the T2 and T3? Sorry if I'm hijacking the thread but if the T3 is as good as the T2 it might be a good option for the OP on the Craftsman saw he is considering.

HD has the T3 for ~ $183....single piece steel rail. Coupon codes could make it a steal.

glenn bradley
03-25-2016, 11:11 AM
We may have lost JB4 . . . As others have said, I bought a similar saw for $100, put another $200 into it and had a pretty decent saw for several years. $300 to start is a non-starter for me on this saw. That's just my experience. The Emerson (113.) saws are generally pretty good and superior to the Delta contractor I had from the same era. Machined pulleys, a link belt, PALs, a good fence and miter gauge and you're off to the races.

John Benson 4
03-25-2016, 4:47 PM
Wow, you guys are amazing! I looked at the thread yesterday morning, then got busy doing spring cleaning in the shop and yard and didn't check it again until just a few minutes ago. I apologize for the delayed response.
At this point I do not know what the fence is, but the photo appears to be an after-market fence of some type. It does have cast iron extension wings and a mobile base. I have an appointment to see it sometime on Saturday and will bring everyone up to date.
Thanks so much for the very helpful information. Hopefully, I have found a good solid saw that will do everything I need for years ahead.

scott spencer
03-25-2016, 7:21 PM
Cool....let us know how you make out.

John Benson 4
03-26-2016, 3:07 PM
Just got back from inspecting the saw. It has an Align-a-rip fence, blade guard, cast iron extinction wings, but a stationary base rather than mobile. It appears to be in good shape with only a little surface rust on the table. Should be able to completely restore in just a few hours. I offered $275, but he is sticking with his $300 price. I'll just wait him out to see if he meets my offer.

In the meantime, I need to think about selling my craftsman 10" flex drive. I installed a Vega U26 36" fence on it in 2009 and it is in pristine condition. Is $225 an unreasonable asking price (I paid $300 for the Vega fence) for a beginner's saw?

Your thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks

scott spencer
03-27-2016, 6:58 AM
Being in pristine condition helps for sure, but the bulk of the value is really that Vega fence....are you sure you don't want to keep that and transfer to your new saw?

The flex drive saws themselves don't have much appeal to me, so it's hard for me to envision paying much for one, or advising someone to pay much for one. However, something is always worth what someone is willing to pay for it...ya never know. I'd be inclined to swap the fences, take a bunch of good pics, and list it with a good description, and see how it goes. If it doesn't sell, you can always try selling it for parts on Ebay.

John Benson 4
03-27-2016, 7:18 AM
Thanks Scott, good advice. I am thinking I will remove the Vega fence, install the crappy original fence and list the flex drive on craigslist for the going price in my area (somewhere in the $125-$150 range). I can either reinstall the Vega on my new saw or sell it separately.

lowell holmes
03-27-2016, 2:26 PM
[QUOTE=John Benson 4;2546669]I offered $275, but he is sticking with his $300 price. I'll just wait him out to see if he meets my offer.

I wouldn't quibble over $25. I would buy the saw and start a special project.

mark kosse
03-27-2016, 6:31 PM
[QUOTE=John Benson 4;2546669]I offered $275, but he is sticking with his $300 price. I'll just wait him out to see if he meets my offer.

I wouldn't quibble over $25. I would buy the saw and start a special project.

At that price, I would. It's too high.

John, what do you expect to gain over your flex drive? They're the same saw, just different drives. Does the flex drive use up a lot of power?

At 300.00 your not to far in price from a cabinet saw in price. I have a 54 unisaw I offered for 400.00 here and no one contacted me about it. A uni would be an upgrade.

Dick Brown
03-27-2016, 6:47 PM
I agree that it is much to high. I refurbish the 113 Craftsman as a hobby. I pay from "0" to $50. for the 10" belt drives, with 1 or 1-1/2 motors, throw the fence away or give it to someone, polish the top, put a shop built Biese. clone on them, new paint, bearings if needed, sometimes a mobile base, and sell them for about $300.-$350. looking and working like new. Wish you were in Central Oregon and I would fix you up with a saw you would love.
Dick

lowell holmes
03-27-2016, 8:57 PM
[QUOTE=Dick Brown;2547069]I agree that it is much to high. ]

If the saw's not worth $300 I would not buy it. It seems to me that it's not worth $275.

But it seems that the "good deal" aspect is more important to you guys than acquiring a tool to start a project. You will waste more than $25 in mistakes buying wood for the project. :)