PDA

View Full Version : Phase Converters - your experience please!

Dan Schmidt
03-23-2016, 4:16 PM
I ordered an expensive sliding table saw (1 phase machine), and have been waiting for arrival. From the same seller I now have the option for an upgraded version with better features (i.e. 4HP to 5.5, electronic scoring unit instead of mechanical, and saw on/off switches on the sliding table) --- BUT it's a 3 phase machine. They would also throw in a Phoenix GP7PL rotary phase converter --- all at no additional cost to me. I'm thinking I'd HATE having a phase converter but would like your advice/feedback. I'd either need to keep the phase converter running, or turn it on / let it spool up, then turn on my saw ---- each and every time I want to make a cut.....

I have a medium size shop - I don't do commercial work, but I do kitchens and other projects for $$ when I can. The idea of yet another switch and spinning motor in the background is not at all attractive. What would you do and why?

Dan

Keith Hankins
03-23-2016, 4:43 PM
I bought one to go for a northfield planner that was 3 phase. I bought an American Rotary with a 10hp baldor idler motor. I can run 7.5hp with it no issues and its been perfect. I have another old bandsaw I'm restoring that will run on a 2hp 3phase motor and it will come in handy.

Nothing to it really.

Kevin Jenness
03-23-2016, 7:44 PM
You can just let the rotophase run most of the time for convenience as it doesn't draw much power at idle and is unlikely to make much noise. Or you can wait 3 seconds after turning it on to switch on the saw. The upgrades on the saw will be worthwhile, plus you will be able to add other 3 phase machines in the future which can open up some real values in used industrial gear.

What did the supplier do to make them offer you this option?

David Zaret
03-23-2016, 7:52 PM
my current shop has a number of three phase pieces of equipment, and i have two 30HP rotaries running in parallel - two starters, two circuits, machines separated between the converters. one of the converters is older, but runs great.. the other is a newer american rotary, 30HP. just for kicks, one day we put an ammeter on them, at idle (no load), and the american rotary was pulling 40 amps just running, no load.

for the new shop, i went with a single digital converter made by Phase Perfect. solid, clean power and they draw almost nothing at idle.

wiring isn't hard. don't be scared of buying three phase machines once you have a converter.

--- dz

Rick Fisher
03-23-2016, 9:22 PM
The Rotophase becomes a habit. You just do it.. don't even think about it ..

The advantage to the Rotophase is you could use it to run more than one machine. I have a 3 phase panel that's fed from a converter. Buying used 3 phase machinery is fun and affordable..

Bill Adamsen
03-23-2016, 10:31 PM
Typically running a phase converter (RPC) requires you turn that on first (unless turned on and left running during work hours). While not necessary, if run through a panel it facilitates using several tools, even tools simultaneously (for instance bandsaw and jointer). But, 3-phase with an RPC it does creates another step in your work, another failure point, additional electrical install, more noise. It does provide flexibility, but at a price. Definitely worth thinking about carefully to understand if it is the right decision for you.

Keith Hankins
03-23-2016, 11:13 PM
you can have a remote start.

Earl McLain
03-23-2016, 11:38 PM
As a hobbyist who buys mostly used equipment for a shop in 1/2 of a 3 car garage--i have 3 phase envy. From my angle, it sure looks like i could buy more used machine for the dollar IF i had 3 phase access, not nearly as much competition in the hobby market for those machines. But every time i look at a 3 ph saw or drill press, i think of the cost of buying a VFD for one machine. If the RPC they are offering is a good one, then the ability to pick up a very good old drill press, 20" band saw, big radial arm saw, etc comes with that one RPC. Once i buy the first piece of 3 ph & RPC, it will probably change my tool line-up. Not that i need it, but it's becoming part of my hobby/habit. (i've recognized that i do it for the diversion, not because i'm a craftsman--so that taints my vision on the topic of tools.)

earl

David Kumm
03-24-2016, 12:08 AM
Once you go three phase you will never look back. Throwing it in for free makes it a no brainer. You will still have some extra cost in fused disconnects or a magnetic starter but that is no big deal. Dave

jack forsberg
03-24-2016, 7:39 AM
The size of the rotary phase converter would convince me . Otherwise I'd much prefer a VFD for that size Machine . The benefits of a Rotary phase converter are that machines just plug in directly but this requires an infrastructure wiring in the shop and those costs need to be added . For that reason I find anything under a 10 hp for an Ider Motor is not practical . Other advantages is that for voltages other than 240 Rotary phase converters are the easiest to add transformers too. Besides everybody knows Real machines are three-phase .

David Scheckman
03-24-2016, 8:21 AM
I have the 4 hp single phase sliding saw as well as a bunch of 3 phase equipment run off of a 25 hp rotary converter. While using the rotary converter is easy and reliable I am glad I do not have to use it for the saw. I've had the sliding saw several years, it replaced a cabinet saw we used for over 30 years. The saw is the central tool in the shop, both literally and figuratively. If it was three phase powered by rotary converter the converter would have to run all the time. For me this would be a deal killer. I don't mind the converter at all for the equipment I use it for. Planer, jointer, shaper, mortiser. While I use those tools on most projects, The way I use them only requires intermittent use of the converter. I am basically a one person shop (occasionally have employee help) so there is only one operation happening at a time.
All that said if I did need a converter for a table/sliding saw I would get a remote control to start it, or more likely spring for a phase perfect unit rather then rotary. As for the free options, I don't do a lot of veneer plywood work so the additional motor for the scoring unit is not a big plus for me. I have the mechanical scoring unit and have never even tried it. I thought I would use it but found the quality of cut I get with a good quality, sharp blade is really fantastic and for my style of work more then adequate. The remote switch would be a very nice feature to have, but not enough to make me want to have to use a rotary converter all day, every day. The motor upgrade might have some value but the 4 hp motor on my (felder) saw has never lugged down. I work with 8/4 hardwood regularly but not often thicker. I almost never deal with super hard exotics but often hard maple. I keep sharp blades on the saw and switch, rip to crosscut quite a bit, so always an appropriate blade. I might feel differently on this issue if I had a production shop, more power, more plywood, more employees.
David

Erik Loza
03-24-2016, 12:26 PM
No opinion in regards to your decision, OP, but just an observation as a guy sitting on the other side of the table: Probably 90% of the hobby ww'ers I talk to, even if the a phase converter was free, would probably still opt for machine in native single-phase configuration. From an operational and electrical standpoint, I 100% agree with Dave and others: If you can swing a three-phase setup, it makes more sense than. But from a customer's standpoint, I can say with certainty that a great number of sales I have made over the years (sliding table saws, in particular...) have been because, "You offer it in 1-phase and the other guys don't...". The vibe I get is that, regardless of how much "sense it might make" to set themselves up for three-phase, many folks just don't want to hassle with it if there's a more direct option on the table. Even if it cost abit more. Again, just an observation. Best of luck with your decision.

Erik