PDA

View Full Version : What kind of wood is this?

Mark Ader
03-23-2016, 10:37 AM
Hi all. Below is a pic of the gallery and rails on my houseboat (1989 Gibson). Can someone tell me what kind of wood they think this is? I want to match the wood and style to make a spice rack. I was thinking of using oak and staining to a close match but this wood looks unfinished/stained?

Thanks.

mike holden
03-23-2016, 10:38 AM
In a boat, it is likely teak.

Jamie Buxton
03-23-2016, 10:45 AM
In a boat, it is likely teak.
Maybe. But in that photo I see at least three different kinds of wood, and they can't all be teak.

John Blazy
03-23-2016, 11:01 AM
Teak and / or mahogony is generally used for all exterior brightwork in a boat - the interior could be anything. That wood is too red for teak, and likely cheap mahogany (solid Luaun likely) rails and pine spindles stained to match the rails. Need a closer photo. Oak would not go well, even if stained. Cherry would be better than oak, but I would use Luaun to match.

Keith Pleas
03-23-2016, 12:08 PM
The rail is called pinrail. Seateak is one brand carried by West Marine, but I'd look for a used marine chandlery - lots of this stuff as takeout on remodels.

Wayne Jolly
03-23-2016, 12:26 PM
From the color it looks a lot like some Ipe.

Wayne

Patrick Walsh
03-23-2016, 5:28 PM
Maybe maranti?

Often sold as mahogany but not even close imop. Still a good oitdoor choice. I used 5/4 x 6" for my deck 18 years ago and it still looks pretty darn good. Zero rot!

Malcolm Schweizer
03-23-2016, 5:52 PM
Very often Cherry is used in boat interiors as Teak has become expensive. I suspect it is cherry, perhaps with a tinted finish to enhance the aged color.

It also could be a tropical wood, especially if built in Tiawan, but it is not teak. I have seen enough teak in my time.

Joe Kieve
03-24-2016, 8:16 AM
Picture is a little blurred but as has been mentioned, teak or mahogany. To me it looks like mahogany.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-24-2016, 9:12 AM
Look at the far left spindle. You can clearly see annular rings. Mahogany and teak would not have a pronounced ring like that.

Prashun Patel
03-24-2016, 10:08 AM
The panelling and shelves look like veneered plywood. The shelf looks like oak veneered plywood.

The spindles appear to be oak to me.
I would guess then that the rails are also oak.

It also appears to be stained to look like mahogany. What kind of screw has been used to fasten the edge band to the shelves? If it's not a corrosion resistant screw, then the installer may not have intended to make the wood a 'typical' boat wood.

Chris Fournier
03-24-2016, 10:19 AM
Not a great photo but having milled a lot of teak in my day I'd say teak is what you have there.

rudy de haas
03-24-2016, 10:27 AM
I'd say that the spindles are stained something, probably oak (an odd choice for a boat; but small enough so expansion/contraction probably don't matter much) while the rails are plantation teak (not as dense or luminous as Thailand teak). I can't tell from the photo whether they're solid - but, if not, that would explain the color. Either way they looks very dry; putting some teak oil on and rubbing should make them look very different.

Erik Loza
03-24-2016, 1:09 PM
My first reaction on the handrails is teak. The panelling is mysterious.

Erik