PDA

View Full Version : Band Saw motor replacement question - AC to DC?

Bob Schwartz
03-23-2016, 10:08 AM
New guy here... moving from lurking and learning to my first post!

I am very new to woodworking, and have recently acquired a 10" Rockwell 28-113 BS for a very low price. In addition to the 3/8 (dull) blade, it also came with a brand new Olson 1/2" blade. It's powered by a 1/3 HP motor. I've had a lot of fun learning on it, and of course am now wishing for a much larger BS.

A couple of weekends ago, at an estate sale, I picked up a few decent size osage orange logs. They are quite old/seasoned. Everything that I've read about resawing recommends having, in addition to a bigger BS, which, sadly, is not an option for me right now, at least a 1 HP motor to handle bigger/more dense wood.

I have a line on a 1 HP, 10amp/90 volt DC motor, for a reasonable price. I have read on various forums that DC motors and an electronic speed controller are great for converting a wood BS to a metal BS. I have zero interest in using my BS to cut metal, therefore reducing the speed is not an issue for me.

My question is simple... hopefully the answer is, too. Will I be able to simply swap the 1/3 HP AC motor with the 1 HP DC motor, or are there additional steps or equipment I would need to take care of, as well?

Any help/insight you all can provide is greatly appreciated!

Bill Space
03-23-2016, 11:21 AM
No, you cannot simply install a DC motor in place of an AC motor.

With a DC motor you need DC voltage. If you use the DC motor you will need a source of DC voltage to supply it with. You can make this happen but it will involve extra expense and require some knowledge of electrical/electronics, at minimum...

Bill

Bob Schwartz
03-23-2016, 11:53 AM
No, you cannot simply install a DC motor in place of an AC motor.

With a DC motor you need DC voltage. If you use the DC motor you will need a source of DC voltage to supply it with. You can make this happen but it will involve extra expense and require some knowledge of electrical/electronics, at minimum...

Bill

That's the simple answer I was looking for. Thanks so much!

Bill White
03-23-2016, 12:55 PM
As a thought....
Osage orange wood requires det cord and high explosives to work it well.:eek:
Bill

Bob Schwartz
03-23-2016, 4:03 PM
As a thought....
Bill

I was able to grab some branch size pieces, as well (about 2-2 1/2" in diameter), and they took foreeeevvver to resaw. Absolutely gorgeous wood, though, hence the "need" to get to the bigger pieces.......

Myk Rian
03-23-2016, 8:00 PM
A 10" saw is not up to the task.

Bob Schwartz
03-23-2016, 9:28 PM
A 10" saw is not up to the task.

Maybe, maybe not. Probably not, but we'll give it the old college try...

John TenEyck
03-23-2016, 9:28 PM
Find a friend with a larger, more powerful saw to cut that wood. Buy a bi-metal blade or, better yet, a carbide blade for his machine - anything less is likely to die pretty fast in that wood.

John

Curt Harms
03-24-2016, 9:02 AM
As a thought....
Bill

Yabbut, you gotta be able to find it after you 'work' it.:D

Bob Schwartz
03-24-2016, 3:39 PM
Find a friend with a larger, more powerful saw to cut that wood. Buy a bi-metal blade or, better yet, a carbide blade for his machine - anything less is likely to die pretty fast in that wood.

John

Unfortunately, I haven't found anyone that has a larger, more powerful saw. My older brother had a Laguna, but had to sell it a few years back (he's regretted it ever since). I have a couple of acquaintances who have offered to cut it... for a fee. I'm hoping to avoid said fee. We'll see... the solution might just be to hold off until I can get a larger BS, myself.

Mike Cutler
03-25-2016, 6:46 AM
Bob

As pointed out, it will be far easier and cheaper to just put a replacement AC motor, with the same type mount on it. 1HP motor can be found pretty cheap. ( I have two of them in the garage just holding down boards.;) )

I don't know about "milling logs" on a 10" band saw, but you could certainly do some small scale, rough milling ,and re-sawing, on a limited basis. A good blade, controlled feed rate, attention to detail, and patience, and you can make a lot of things happen, even with Osage Orange.

Allan Speers
03-25-2016, 2:35 PM
Bob, if you just HAVETA' do it, then make sure you have a 90v controller, as mentioned above, and make sure the rpm is in the right range. - DC motors can be all over the place.

Then you'll need a pulley with the proper diameter & shaft opening.

If the price is right, WITH a controller, then I see no reason not to get it. That motor could also be very nice on a drill press, in the future.
-----------------

But Osage orange on a 10" saw? That's really asking for aggravation, to put it mildly.