PDA

View Full Version : Small drawer construction/joinery/veneer

David Ragan
03-23-2016, 8:14 AM
Hi,

My current project is a fancy pen box for someone who collects them. It will have a tray that can be taken out from the top, and a sliding drawer.

The drawer/tray will be approx. 1" high, 5" x 8". I anticipate they will see a fair amount of usage.

I was sweating the joinery in such a small drawer w 1/4" stuff, but, it occurred to me last night to just veneer them.

At this point, I have some questions for the group:

1) Being able to just glue butt joints (for the small tray/drawer) is appealing, but I need to screw or miter the corners, right?

2) What are advantages and disadvantages in using BB ply vs MDF...1/4" as a veneer substrate?

3) I have some hot hide glue coming from LV. I read a post from George Wilson that said for hammer veneering, you also put the glue on top of the veneer(?)

4) In a more general sense--what's the deal w hot hide glue (no additives) being invisible w a finish? I have read posts here @ SMC that said this is not true. I know I am going to hear to do some sample first. I will :).

As always, Thank you for input.

Robert LaPlaca
03-23-2016, 8:56 AM
David, have you ever considered using through dovetails for the small drawer/tray? I have dovetailed lots of 1/4 solid stock for drawers and trays.. The tray in the attached photo is 1/4 Walnut

John TenEyck
03-23-2016, 11:18 AM
I often use a locking rabbet joint for small drawer boxes. It's plenty strong enough, especially if you use a plywood bottom and glue it in. If you are considering MDF for the drawer box itself - I wouldn't. It's great as a veneer substrate, but it would not be a good choice for the drawer box. I would use BB plywood or solid wood.

John

Lee Schierer
03-23-2016, 1:53 PM
I often use a locking rabbet joint for small drawer boxes. It's plenty strong enough, especially if you use a plywood bottom and glue it in.

I agree that locking rabbet joints make strong small boxes. Your dimensions are perfect for a box. Some of the craft stores carry 1/8" plywood that would work well for the bottom. Here is a sketch of what the joints would look like. 334367 That is exactly how these jewelry box inserts were made.334368

David Ragan
03-23-2016, 8:00 PM
Very nice, guys-
Dovetails always great, but my lock rabbet bit is huge-what size do I get for 1/4" sides?

John TenEyck
03-23-2016, 9:21 PM
I use a flat tooth rip blade in my TS to make lock rabbet drawer joints.

John

Lee Schierer
03-23-2016, 9:23 PM
Very nice, guys-
Dovetails always great, but my lock rabbet bit is huge-what size do I get for 1/4" sides?

In 1/4" stock cut the dados and rabbets with a regular saw blade. Cut your dados first then cut the rabbets to fit. You need a blade with a raker tooth. You can also do it with a 1/8" bit in a router table with a good cross cut guide.