PDA

View Full Version : Timber framing finishing

patrick foley
03-22-2016, 11:33 PM
Hey everyone I wanted to get others point of view or pointers on how to go about finishing some interior posts and beams. Over the past month I have properly removed about 65 ft of non load bearing and load bearing walls in my ranch home replacing with lolly columns and temporary beams and and then installing a new timber frame in their place, no problems at all now I am just buttoning everything back up and I come to the part that I lack knowledge in. The frame is Norway spruce all mortis and tennon jointery and a scarf joint all joints pegged. I cut the frame over the past 2-3 months milled the wood my self and is still some what green the wood stayed in a work shop at about 75-80 degrees for roughly 3 months and befor it was milled it was kept out of the weather for the most part. Anyway I would like to seal and stain it. I know that using an oil base stain with out using a sanding sealer will result in the knots and rougher areas to be much darker then the sanded straight grain areas and in the past I have had no real luck getting the sanded areas to match the darker color of the knots and rougher areas. I would like to to have a uniformed stain medium to light brown. I do not want to try and hide the fact that this is spruce and end up with a foux looking timber frame at all just want to darken it up uniformly, and I do expect the knots and grain will be darker then the rest. I have seen some examples online and in mags that we like but for the most part all I can find out how they did it is with a varnish and a glaze. I normally use linseed oil or shellac and that is the extent of my finishing. I would greatly appreciate any info or advise thank you all
pat foley

Scott T Smith
03-24-2016, 9:00 PM
Talk to the folks at Heritage Natural Finishes in Colorado about how to add color to their Land Ark Original timberframe finish. It's a great finish for green timbers and most likely you can add a dye to it in order to achieve the desired color.

A dye will not accumulate in the rougher areas as much as a stain.