PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever turn acacia?

Rick Bailey
03-22-2016, 8:46 PM
I got a big one down on my property.

Roger Chandler
03-22-2016, 8:58 PM
Pretty stable wood.....good to turn. I had a couple of pieces gifted to me from a turner in Arizona.....they were small pieces, so small projects.

Brian Kent
03-22-2016, 9:10 PM
I turned some black acacia that was great. Then last night I tried to turn some acacia that had fallen in a windstorm and it was like turning a bundle of straw. So I recommend - give it a try but it may be firewood.

Rick Bailey
03-22-2016, 9:17 PM
This guy is a would say about 14'' round and just went down last weekend.
What dose it look like when turned?

Rick Bailey
03-22-2016, 10:17 PM
Here's a shot of it.

Justin Stephen
03-22-2016, 11:04 PM
No, but I once peed on one in Africa while keeping a lookout for lions.

Brice Rogers
03-22-2016, 11:05 PM
In January, one of my acacia trees tipped over in some wind. It was about 20 years old and maybe was 8 or 9 inches wide. The color of the wood is very pretty ranging from yellow to dark brown. Nice striping. I think that you'll like it.

I only rough turned it and wrapped the edge with stretch-wrap. I'll know better how it works when I second turn it. I took a picture of a rough turned bowl and I'll post it if I can find it.

robert baccus
03-22-2016, 11:10 PM
The word "acacia" is like saying wood. There are boo-coo species all over the world. Here we have Mimosa which is beautiful but affects breathing for many. Mimosa ia an import but Honey and black locust are native.

Rick Bailey
03-22-2016, 11:11 PM
No, but I once peed on one in Africa while keeping a lookout for lions.

Thanks Justin,
You just made me spit my drink all over my laptop. LOL.:D

Rick Bailey
03-22-2016, 11:16 PM
Thanks Brice,
I just didn't want to die for a hunk of tree.:D
Is this stuff toxic?
I would love to see some pics of it turned.

Rick Bailey
03-22-2016, 11:19 PM
Robert,
Didn't know that.
Tell me more sir.

Ron Rutter
03-23-2016, 12:17 AM
It is nice looking wood! Use it!

Reed Gray
03-23-2016, 12:54 AM
I have only turned a few pieces of it. Most of it was pretty splintery, but had some dark reddish color to it. I believe Koa is a variety of acacia.

robo hippy

Kyle Iwamoto
03-23-2016, 3:00 AM
I believe Koa is a variety of acacia.

robo hippy

Yes, koa is an acacia. As Robert said, there are tons of acacias. We have a couple acacias here, the "true" acacia koa and the formosa acacia (Formosan koa). Well, we have more than 2 but those are the 2 I know about and like to turn. I just turned about 10 koa pen blanks today. Koa is real pretty.

No lions. LOL. Good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.:eek:

Jim Colombo
03-23-2016, 11:30 AM
I turned some once and never will again. The wood was beautiful but so porous that my vacuum chuck couldn't hold it when I tried to finish the bottom.

John Beaver
03-23-2016, 3:18 PM
Indeed, lots of types of Acacia. Usually turns pretty well wet, but can be prone to cracking so take precautions. Can be very hard when dry. Prettiest wood I ever got was Black Acacia.

Stan Smith
03-25-2016, 11:01 PM
Yes, koa is an acacia. As Robert said, there are tons of acacias. We have a couple acacias here, the "true" acacia koa and the formosa acacia (Formosan koa). Well, we have more than 2 but those are the 2 I know about and like to turn. I just turned about 10 koa pen blanks today. Koa is real pretty.

No lions. LOL. Good thing I wasn't drinking anything when I read that.:eek:

I have 4 ukuleles, but only one is koa. I'm very careful with it. Bought in Kauai while on vacation. Beautiful instrument with sweet sound.

Jeffrey J Smith
03-26-2016, 12:49 AM
I picked up some black acacia from an old friend in CA who builds custom furniture - some call it California Koa. He gets interesting woods from an arborist, trades a share of the log to a friend with a portable mill, then airdries slabs before milling for projects. This log was over 30" in diameter. It had a similar look to walnut with a coarser texture. It is extremely heavy, dense with a grain pattern like black locust. It did turn nicely. I've still got a few chunks and roughed blanks - still waiting for the shop (2-3 months more to go.
Here's a couple shots of the haul.
Here are some quick shots of the first test from one of the blanks we cut that day. The largest is 17" x 4-1/2". Apologies for the quickie photos

John Grace
03-26-2016, 9:17 AM
Combining the posts of two others...I've turned Koa on a number of occasions it turns wonderfully with beautiful coloring when 'fresh'. Once it dries out too much, however, I have found that the comment of 'straw-like' comes to mind...the wood becomes too brittle. Try it...nothing ventured after all.

Barry Richardson
03-26-2016, 10:20 AM
I have turned turned most of the ones we have here locally. Like Robert says, Acacia is a very general term, it's the most abundant and widely distributed tree in the world. and the wood varies a lot between types. The one in your pic looks like nothing I have ever worked with, but all I have turned have been worthwhile...

Peter Blair
03-26-2016, 10:40 AM
I have turned it and found the dust to be a little more difficult to deal with than most of the other woods I turned. Please be aware of this and wear a good quality respirator. The pieces I turned are all from burls which are beautiful. I cored a set of three and a half and dyed them. The turned out pretty cool looking with the dark bark, very light next layer and darker center.

George Guadiane
03-28-2016, 2:46 PM
There are a number of varieties of acacia, including Koa from Hawaii and black acacia which is from Australia I believe.
It is generally GREAT to turn and, so far as I know, not on the danger list. I have turned a number of pieces without difficulty.

Dok Yager
03-31-2016, 10:51 PM
Rick, I have turned a number of pieces of Acacia here in AZ. The most prevalent is the "sweet acacia" that is a desert native and grows quite well and fast. There are two others found here. The wood is nice and turns well and comes out with some nice character.