PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Shop built portable workshop

Mac McQuinn
03-22-2016, 3:52 PM
http://paoson.com/downloads/en/shop/49-portable-workshop.html

I found this interesting, seems well thought out.

Mac

Andrew Pitonyak
03-23-2016, 10:10 AM
Interesting.... I have seen similar things before, but this seems more refined.

Ben Rivel
03-23-2016, 11:11 AM
Yea Ive seen this one and a couple others like this floating around the net. Maybe its just me but these home built multi-tools never look safe nor stable to me. But then I am more the type to purchase pre-built and usually metal jigs and tools rather than try to make my own. So I guess for those on a tight budget or who really enjoy making their own tools stuff like this is what ya gotta do.

Sean Troy
03-23-2016, 11:16 AM
How would that even stay square?

Andrew Pitonyak
03-23-2016, 11:24 AM
I saw something like this in use under rough conditions where a table was was NOT available, and would not be available. I think this was in Africa. They screwed a circular saw to the bottom of a board.......

I think that the guy who owned my house before me did that.... and he left the 'saw top' at the house. No safety features, no fence, nothing.

Ben Rivel
03-23-2016, 11:46 AM
How would that even stay square?
Good point. I cant see how either.

I think a lot of these kinds of projects are just put out onto the internet to get views/hits and hopefully sell a few plans to some folks on an impulse purchase who havent thought it all through enough. A lot of things can be made to look really good in a video but not be anything like they were portrayed once theyre built/bought.

Art Mann
03-23-2016, 12:06 PM
I think the whole thing would be woefully impractical due to durability, safety and accuracy issues. However, I think the inventor was quite ingenious.

John Blazy
03-23-2016, 1:47 PM
A kind of agree with all of you above, but the inventiveness of this guy outweighs any square or safety issues. If he's sharp enough to make this system, he's plenty aware of the safety and accuracy.

What I think is totally awesome is the guides he made for the jigsaw. In all my 30 years of professional woodworking, I have never seen this idea, and think it is a great way to make a jig saw function like a bandsaw. I have clamped my jigsaw into the bench vise many times to free hand cut curved pcs, and the end of the blade always bends to the outside of a curve. If I didn't own a bandsaw right now, I would make a table and weld a steel overarm and mount bearings on it like this guy did.

Ben Rivel
03-23-2016, 1:51 PM
weld a steel overarm and mount bearings on it like this guy did.

Ah! Now a steel arm would be much better!