PDA

View Full Version : Neander Hardware Stores

Jim Koepke
03-22-2016, 3:26 PM
I love going through old hardware stores, and even some new ones.

A Wilco store opened across the highway from us. This is about 20 miles or more for us, but we do get over that way at times. For a modern store, I was surprised to see they actually carry a hard Arkansas stone in stock.

We passed by one last week on a mission to pick up some greenhouse supplies. SWMBO didn't relish the idea of stopping just so I could snoop around. I noticed some late 19th to early 20th century items on display in the window. I will have to find a reason to go back.

Looks like looking through old hardware stores is a popular pastime:

http://www.popularwoodworking.com/woodworking-blogs/editors-blog/a-hardware-store-that-will-take-you-back-in-time

Maybe SMC members in the area will give this place a look.

jtk

Chuck Hart
03-22-2016, 5:33 PM
Hi Jim, if you are ever up my way you should check out the older Mclendons hardware. I think they still have 6 stores but they have that old hardware store feel.

Chuck

Clark Christenson
03-22-2016, 6:02 PM
Hardwick's Hardware in Seattle is one of the best I have ever been to. It has a lot of Neander offerings and everything is jam-packed onto shelves and displays in a way that makes you take your time if you're looking for something.

Clark

Steve Voigt
03-22-2016, 7:53 PM
I've never seen one as cool as the one in the PW article, but here are two I like:

Orinda Hardware in Orinda, CA (East of Berkeley). Great selection, high ceilings, wood floors, old-time feel.

Rockin' R hardware in Harrisonburg, VA. Pretty modern interior, but an enormous number of pullout bins with all manner of screws, bearings, sleeves, etc. Also sharpening service and power tool repair. Very full-service.

Bill Satko
03-22-2016, 11:04 PM
Hardwick's Hardware in Seattle is one of the best I have ever been to. It has a lot of Neander offerings and everything is jam-packed onto shelves and displays in a way that makes you take your time if you're looking for something.

Clark

Another vote for Hardwick's and jam-packed is an understatement.

William Adams
03-23-2016, 6:47 AM
My wife has gotten pretty sick of my always stopping at any older hardware store when traveling and looking through the files, hoping to find N.O.S. Nicholson files. Esp. now that I’m not finding any — pretty much have given up on it, and will need to start buying other brands, or give their new production a try again. (Apparently they have things sorted out now?)

Zach Dillinger
03-23-2016, 8:42 AM
My favorite hardware is called Vet's Ace Hardware... a lot of the nuts / bolts / general hardware come from Ace but it is light years ahead of any other Ace I've been to. I have yet to leave disappointed when looking for some obscure part. Walked in there looking for copper rivets, they had an entire tray full of NOS in varying sizes. Needed hot set rivets for my Model T, they had literally hundreds of vintage rivets. Asked for round leather belting for my treadle lathe, they asked me what size (they had 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" in stock). I've bought vintage lever caps, more than a few plane irons, and even a decent chisel or two there. The grandson of the original owner still runs the place, and they have a decent selection of old tools (NFS, they belonged to the grandfather) at the front of the store. Great place in Lansing, MI.

george wilson
03-23-2016, 8:52 AM
I cannot guarantee that you won't run into some OLD STOCK Mexican Nicholson files. But,the last one I bought months ago from Home Depot was just fine.

I advise you to buy your Nicholsons from your local source so you can return it if you get a soft file. Otherwise,they are now great files,as good as the USA ones,I am highly relieved to say.

Barry Dima
03-23-2016, 9:43 AM
Jim, your find is encouraging. When I moved into my current apartment, a small (now closed) hardware store was a 10-minute walk away and next to a coffee shop. My 5yo daughter and I would walk over to get drinks and a sandwich before loading up on whatever hardware or finish for current projects—

—but the tools were awful. On a par with the lower-shelf discounts at BORGs. Total drag. You're keeping my hope alive, Jim!

I cannot guarantee that you won't run into some OLD STOCK Mexican Nicholson files. But,the last one I bought months ago from Home Depot was just fine.

I advise you to buy your Nicholsons from your local source so you can return it if you get a soft file. Otherwise,they are now great files,as good as the USA ones,I am highly relieved to say.

George, these now great ones are potentially the ones in green boxes from Home Depot, right? I just need to be wary of the country of manufacture, yea? I'm curious if the small ones are good as saw files...

Glen Canaday
03-23-2016, 8:20 PM
Hate to contribute to a hijack, but if they fix the mexican files, they can fix the saw files too...?

Back on topic, 7 Corners Hardware in downtown St. Paul just closed its doors for the last time about a year ago. A very sad thing...in the 90s when I attended the cabinetmaking program at St. Paul Technical College to go there was a class field trip that was actually in the syllabus. They had so much it was hard to stay on target.

Lanier's Hardware in Lexington, NC is another one. It's almost like a small department store for men.

Jeffrey Martel
03-25-2016, 3:55 PM
Also came in to recommend Hardwicks, but it appears it's been mentioned a few times. It is by far the best hardware store I've been in. Both new and used tools alike.

Bill White
03-27-2016, 1:45 PM
We are fortunate to have Booth, (Tupelo) Hardware here in Tupelo. They're the place where Elvis bought his first guitar, but soooooo.
They have they old store feel, and a great variety too. Sadly, a great deal of the old stock is being depleated.
Bill