PDA

View Full Version : Wild Black Cherry Natural Edge

Glenn Hodges
09-15-2005, 6:26 AM
This one is 12 in. wide X 5 in. high, finished with the polymerized tung oil mixture, then buffed.

Dave Brandt
09-15-2005, 6:53 AM
That needs to be in an art gallery, or better yet displayed in my house. :D
Absolutely stunning!

Charles E. Martin V
09-15-2005, 7:20 AM
Stunning to say the least.

Michael Stafford
09-15-2005, 7:29 AM
OOOOOOH, OOOOOOH, ditto what Dave said except MY house!!!!

Glenn, a real beauty! Just lovely!

John Miliunas
09-15-2005, 8:09 AM
Wonderful form, Glenn! :) Let's see, there's "dibs" from Dave and Mike and now me. That means, you only need to make two more like that!:D Great job, Glenn!:) :cool:

Keith Burns
09-15-2005, 8:13 AM
Nope, you need to make 3 more because I want one as well ! :D Great piece !

Jeff Sudmeier
09-15-2005, 8:28 AM
Glenn, DIBS!! 4 more :) I just want one to know when I have become a good turner :) Every peice could compare to that one and say nope not yet, keep trying! :)

Mark Cothren
09-15-2005, 8:49 AM
Very elegant, Glenn! I have some Cherry - wish I could make it look half this good.

Thanks for the picture!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-15-2005, 10:07 AM
Glenn...once again... a beautiful ......asbsolutely beautiful piece! I won't ask for DIBS as by now I'm sure you're out of wild black cherry.....but if you had another piece........

Jerry Clark
09-15-2005, 10:48 AM
That is a piece of art-- I suggest we have a lottery and put my name in!:cool: Thanks for showing!

Glenn Hodges
09-15-2005, 10:57 AM
I appreciate all the nice comments. One tip I can give you all that have never done one of these things is that to prevent cherry from splitting is to turn the piece, soak it in DNA, allow it to dry for about 2 weeks, and then return it. Oh yea, another thing, before I put it in the alcohol I put CA glue around the bark, and the area where the sapwood joins the bark. This will help to prevent the bark and sapwood from seperating, and stiffen the bark, and keep the bark on the piece. I am not trying to be a know it all, just trying to be helpful to those of you that would like to benefit from some of my trials and tribulations in the shop. I hope this helps. Again thanks for all the nice comments

Dave Smith
09-15-2005, 11:28 AM
Absolutely wonderful.

My advise to people who want to turn a natural edge bowl is to start with a small piece of limb. A wood with smooth bark will enhance the probability of success. Turning a small piece requires less time to hollow out and thus less time invested if there is a mishap. Smaller bowls are easier to hand sand to remove blemishes because there is less surface area involved. A piece 2 or 3" thick and 4" long will yield a nice natural edge bowl that everyone will think is oval. Keeping the sides nearly flat enhances the oval illusion.

Sorry to hijack your thread but it appeared there were a lot of people interested in the bowl and I didn't think you were going to provide a bowl to each of them. I wanted to encourage them to try one themselves. I seldom turn NE bowls but I may have to do more since people keep buying the ones I have on my table to attract attention. It is always important to have at least one WOW piece to distinguish your table of wares from the competition.

Dave Smith

Glenn's NE bowl WOWed me in Longview, WA.

Ernie Nyvall
09-15-2005, 1:41 PM
I appreciate all the nice comments. One tip I can give you all that have never done one of these things is that to prevent cherry from splitting is to turn the piece, soak it in DNA, allow it to dry for about 2 weeks, and then return it. Oh yea, another thing, before I put it in the alcohol I put CA glue around the bark, and the area where the sapwood joins the bark. This will help to prevent the bark and sapwood from seperating, and stiffen the bark, and keep the bark on the piece. I am not trying to be a know it all, just trying to be helpful to those of you that would like to benefit from some of my trials and tribulations in the shop. I hope this helps. Again thanks for all the nice comments

Please don't stop this kind of information nor worry about giving it. With your beautiful work, how could anyone not want to know how you do it. I certainly do especially on such a wonderful piece as this.

Thanks for sharing.

Ernie

Dick Parr
09-15-2005, 4:11 PM
Outstanding Glenn :D

Jim Ketron
09-15-2005, 4:29 PM
Nice work Glenn!

Joe Horne
09-15-2005, 4:32 PM
Very nice work. Natural Edge Bowls are among my favorite, both to turn and to just admire. Excellent on all counts Glenn!

John Pollman
09-15-2005, 5:45 PM
Gorgeous !!!!

I've got two mature wild black cherries in my backyard right now. They're stating to drop a lot of sticks and there is some deadwood in the middle of them. I don't think they're diseased, I think they're just OLD. One is about 20" diameter and the other is about 24" and they're both about 70-80' high. I'm seriously considering "harvesting" them and doing something with them. I'm currently getting pretty close to taking down a HUGE Ash in the front yard and having that milled. I've never done anything like this before but if the Ash goes well, maybe I'll have to do the Cherries. Would there be much of a market for the materials from these two trees ? ;) :D

Again, very nice work !

John

Glenn Hodges
09-15-2005, 6:19 PM
John, lots of wild black cherry down here. It grows in the fence rows. I have an abundance of it given to me. Maybe someone will respond in your area. A lot of furniture is made from it, 24 inch diameter would make some nice bowls.

Bruce Shiverdecker
09-15-2005, 8:08 PM
Evenin" Glenn:

I'm glad someone resurrected this thread, otherwise I would not have had the GREAT PLEASURE of seeing this beautiful effort. Pure EYE CANDY!

Bruce

Ed Scolforo
09-16-2005, 6:37 AM
Another beautiful piece, Glenn. Congratulations!

Brad Schmid
09-16-2005, 10:07 AM
Nice job Glenn! Well done.
Brad

Don Baer
09-16-2005, 3:27 PM
Glenn,
That is one fine piece of turning and the finish is super. Some day I mght attempt something like that right now I'm hapy just learning how to use the various tools.