PDA

View Full Version : How I hang my T5HO lights in the new shed video

Mike Heidrick
03-21-2016, 8:24 PM
In case you guys are hanging lights in an open ceiling shed. Here is how I am doing it for my 6 lamp T5HO lights at 16'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sc_wCjR4RbE

Don Michaud
03-21-2016, 9:45 PM
Hi Mike,

What an amazing shop you have. That's an innovative way to hang fixtures, and it certainly works well. I'm new with the forum, so if my efforts offend you in anyway please let me know and I will delete this post. I've ran an electrical distributer for many years in central Phoenix and know all the little application widgets... it's a sickness of mine. :) I like the way you've reused the computer cords rather than buying appliance whips. I think every guy has a box of old cords stashed somewhere that he is saving for, "some day I will need that."

The 2 slots next to the access cover are made for a Dottie 629 linear fixture hanger, to be uses in conjunction with a small S hook and a Dottie 631. There's a tool that can be purchased for the 631 but most guys just hacksaw a slot into a 1/4" nut driver bit, rather than paying for the tool.

Mike Heidrick
03-22-2016, 8:07 AM
Welcome to the site and thank you for posting. I actually bought some light hanging S hooks and chain at fist from menards - it was not very cheap and I ended up with quite an additional height/drop. I wanted more lower profile. That's when I came up with using these hooks. I know it is not the normal way though for sure - Zero/nothing in my shop is LOL. I love being able to quickly clip the light end up without trying to keep an s hook in place, rock the light up and snap the other end up, plug in and done. Plus to take a light down it is just as easy.

Please though, feel free to post anything in my posts. I love all ideas.

Rick Fisher
03-26-2016, 1:14 AM
Hey Mike.

Your Shop is 40 x 64 .. And your getting rid of all other lighting ? How many of those fixtures are you installing ?

I picked the exact same fixture from Cooper .. 6 tube T-5HO .. For my new shop, which is just a foundation right now .. Ceiling height is 14' .. Its only 37' x 27' an I was thinking of a row of them right down the middle.

I say a row of them but have no real personal experience with how bright they are.

Did you look at how many foot candles you would need ?

Rick