PDA

View Full Version : First shot at acrylic

Keith Downing
03-21-2016, 3:07 PM
I took my first shot at engraving acrylic last night. It was a scrap piece of 1/8" i believe, obviously not masked, but I was still surprised to see so much residue in and around the engraving. I wiped it off right after and the surface wiped pretty clean, but it took a toothbrush to get the engraving to be powder free. Is this normal?

No way to know if it was cast or extruded, but I assumed extruded.

The scan was done on the 60W at 300mm/s and 30% power. Had air assist on as well. The cut, which took two passes, was 20mm/s and 100% power.

Do those numbers sound about right? Should I slow down the cut speed to try to get it in 1 pass?

Oh, and the interval for the engraving was 0.10 (automatically set by laserworks).

Ross Moshinsky
03-21-2016, 3:28 PM
Engraving: Speed up or use less power. Probably both.

Cut: 60W should go through 1/8" acrylic no problem in one pass.

Keith Downing
03-21-2016, 3:57 PM
Engraving: Speed up or use less power. Probably both.

Cut: 60W should go through 1/8" acrylic no problem in one pass.

I'm going to measure the sheet when I get back out there to make sure it's 1/8, might have been thicker. As far as the one pass goes, what speed would you expect to need with 100% power?

Also, for the cut, should my focus be on the surface? or into the sheet half way? Thought that might also have been part of the issue?

Jerome Stanek
03-21-2016, 4:19 PM
I would do the creep upon the speed start at 10mm and increase. Also try the engraving with the air assist off.

Mike Null
03-21-2016, 4:40 PM
I would guess that your acrylic is cast. That's judging from the whitish or frosted appearance fo the engraving. Extruded is more clear.

Keith Downing
03-21-2016, 5:07 PM
Measured the acrylic, it's definitely thicker than 1/8" but shy of a full 1/4". Strange. Maybe it's 5mm?

Also, the powder was pretty thick after the engraving. It still has some white to it after cleaning but nowhere near as much. See below.

Ross Moshinsky
03-21-2016, 5:20 PM
Measured the acrylic, it's definitely thicker than 1/8" but shy of a full 1/4". Strange. Maybe it's 5mm?

Also, the powder was pretty thick after the engraving. It still has some white to it after cleaning but nowhere near as much. See below.

Acrylic doesn't actually come 1/4". It's 6mm. 6mm would be just shy of 1/4".

60W should still get through 1/4" material pretty easily. Just slow down the machine and keep the air assist on. You should be fine.

I can tell you with 100% confidence that with less power and/or more speed, you'll have less cleanup. You'll also see less engraving depth, which should be fine. Cast acrylic marks very easily. Also try reverse engraving acrylic. That's how most acrylic is engraved.

Keith Winter
03-21-2016, 5:22 PM
That looks nice Keith!

Clark Pace
03-21-2016, 6:51 PM
Acrylic is 95 percent of what i do. You normally wanto to just barelh engrave it . if you l do is right any residue sill just be a dust and will wipe or blow right off

Keith Downing
03-21-2016, 7:02 PM
Acrylic is 95 percent of what i do. You normally wanto to just barelh engrave it . if you l do is right any residue sill just be a dust and will wipe or blow right off

Do you also keep the air assist off as others suggested?

Mike Null
03-21-2016, 7:57 PM
I use air assist for cutting only.

Clark Pace
03-21-2016, 9:08 PM
Do you also keep the air assist off as others suggested?

On cast acrylic I use air assist, but very,very light air.