PDA

View Full Version : Endgrain Curlies - FTW!

Jon McElwain
03-21-2016, 1:47 PM
Okay, so I've been a woodworker for quite some time, but more recently have been trying to up my game. I've gotten better at some basic skills like cutting dovetails and mortise and tenon joinery, but one mystery has had me perplexed. I was about to post my question here, but decided before I go out and ask how one should go about trimming the end grain on dovetails for a perfect finish, I should spend some time at the bench and really sharpen my plane blades well. So I did, and the result was a delightful strip of endgrain curlies - a feat I have never been able to accomplish before. I showed my non-woodworking family and friends, but the response was a little lack-luster. Fortunately I know a small community where this stuff gets eaten up!

Jim Koepke
03-21-2016, 2:08 PM
I should spend some time at the bench and really sharpen my plane blades well.

Congratulations Jon, this is what happens when one focuses on getting things sharp.

At least my wife used to act impressed when I brought in super thin shavings. She has done some woodworking, so that might have had some influence on her.

jtk

Shawn Pixley
03-21-2016, 3:04 PM
Nice! Yes, the power of sharp.

Daniel O'Neill
03-21-2016, 7:29 PM
I'll admit I'm a little jealous. I actually logged on looking for that really long sharpening thread from a couple of weeks ago as I'm having some trouble sharpening my chisels. They're pretty good but not really sharp. In comparison to the sharpness before it's great but I know it can be better. Thanks for sharing your success. It gives me motivation & Hope :)

Bill McDermott
03-21-2016, 10:44 PM
Jon, Simple pleasures! Please take a compliment on the photograph. Very interesting shot.

Jon McElwain
03-22-2016, 5:22 PM
Nice! Yes, the power of sharp.

Still need to develop and expand this woodworking super-power!

Congratulations Jon, this is what happens when one focuses on getting things sharp.

At least my wife used to act impressed when I brought in super thin shavings. She has done some woodworking, so that might have had some influence on her.

jtk

My wife is quite dutiful, but often does not know (at least from experience) what it is she is looking at. She does very much appreciate an aesthetically pleasing project though!

I'll admit I'm a little jealous. I actually logged on looking for that really long sharpening thread from a couple of weeks ago as I'm having some trouble sharpening my chisels. They're pretty good but not really sharp. In comparison to the sharpness before it's great but I know it can be better. Thanks for sharing your success. It gives me motivation & Hope :)

Stay at it! I have become convinced that sharp tools is one of the most under-emphasized skills and necessities in woodworking.

Jon, Simple pleasures! Please take a compliment on the photograph. Very interesting shot.

Thank you Bill. It is a cell phone photo, but the saturation and composition was pleasing to me as well. Once in a while I get lucky and capture an image that is appealing - way more often I get lousy photos!

Chris Hachet
03-23-2016, 8:03 AM
Congrats, Sharp cure all sorts of things....neat curlies!

Sean Troy
03-23-2016, 8:24 AM
You have inspired me to be diligent in my sharping.