PDA

View Full Version : Build of a Gaming Table

James Wood
03-21-2016, 9:19 AM
8 years ago, or so, I saw a gaming table made by a company called Geek Chic, being a huge gamer myself, I was floored by the idea of that table. I could never commit myself to purchasing one of their tables, mainly due to the time it takes them to make them. I am an Air Force officer and move quite often, would hate to put a deposit down on a table, and end up in Guam, where they couldn’t ship it, which is what would have happened if I did. Fast forward to today. I still have been lusting after a gaming table, I had been surfing the web looking for a good table to build, on YouTube and Board Game Geek. Through the looking, I happened to stumble across a web site called the Wood Whisperer, watched some of his videos on line, and decided to take the plunge and spend the $s to get the plans and the video tutorials. I was very pleasantly surprised at the quality of the videos, the drawings, and all of the step by step instructions on how to craft this table. I have a lot of experience in building and designing, from wood to plastic to metal. I like doing prop reproduction, look at them for a while then sell them. This is an Enterprise I did, and sold, currently working on the TOS Bridge and 1/72 Falcon.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18tcUsKjq3Q

The other half of deciding to do this build, my father is in his 70s, and he is also an avid wood worker. I really wanted a keep sake that I will have for the rest of my life, and this table fits this perfectly and unfortunately there is a time limit on how long we could do this. My father built my sister an amazing crib, I wanted a table. So enough back story.

I am currently deployed, and will have 7 weeks when I get back to move my family to our new over seas home, so I am able to take 2 weeks off to build this table and accessories. This timeline though drove me to make some decisions, the main one being I needed all of the material, that can’t be easily procured at a big box home improvement store bought. I wanted this table made out of dark wood, I love veneer, so going to have veneer as part of the project, I also am going to build multiple card boxes to help pay for this endeavor, so I needed more wood and veneer to build these boxes. There will be a lot of down time during the build of the table, such as watching glue dry, where I can do the boxes.

So, where to purchase the lumber for the table and what type of lumber? After a few weeks of website surfing, I ended up going with Bell Forest Products, http://www.bellforestproducts.com/. A couple of reasons, one, their selection was amazing, they had so many woods and burls that I have never even heard of, and a lot of these, you could buy in a small inlay board that isn’t too expensive. Also, they have a section on hand-picking your board, this was really cool. A huge concern of mine was spending several thousand dollars on lumber that I had never seen, made me a little nervous. The handpicked board section, and Eric Poirer’s incredible help really helped me to overcome my trepidation with ordering site unseen for a large chunk of lumber. If I can figure out how, I will attach some photos below of the order. I need the lumber in mid-late April, so getting it super-fast wasn’t a concern, and Eric made several suggestions, and also delayed shipping to allow for a new shipment on their end to get the best possible lumber. Eric was very familiar with the table, due to being a partner/preferred vendor/friend? with The Wood Whisperer, and was able to steer me to a list of wood species that would work well for the table. I gave me a ROM for the different species, and I ended up going with Wenge instead of a dark Walnut. I really like the dark look and grain pattern of Wenge. I can’t wait to work with the wood. I also picked up numerous inlay boards, accessory boards and box boards, more on all of those later. Eric’s awesome customer service, both via email and phone calls, the 10% guild discount really made buying through them a no brainer. I have seen and read about horror stories where if you are not buying 1000 bd ft at a time, you get no service, Bell Forest was just the opposite, I purchased only about 100 bd ft, but I was always treated well, and I can’t recommend these guys enough to go buy lumber. I know I will buy from them for my next project.

I love veneer and I have always wanted to work with it. Be bopping around the internet looking for a supplier, I ended going with Veneer Supplies http://www.veneersupplies.com/ you might have heard of this as the sales site of Joe Woodworker. I ended up at Joe Woodworker’s site before I found his online store, but he has put so much effort his articles, I learned so much from them that I almost felt obligated to purchase from his store. However, looking at his prices, which are competitive, and his selection, which is also outstanding and being able to buy in none massive quantities, it was another no brainer for me to buy from Joe. Lol, I have no veneering experience, and no tools, so had to buy the tools from Joe and the veneer, I already own a vacuum pump from my resin work I have done, but another chunk of change spent. This was one of the best ways to get some Macassar Ebony into the table, along with several types of burls. I can’t wait to get some pics of the veneer he shipped and of the finished product.

So, going to talk about the table some. The current table is about 38” x 72” on the outside, this causes a 30” x 64” gaming surface. I want a large surface, some of the games I play won’t fit. So the first order of business is to increase the size of the table. I am looking at adding 8” in each direction. The main limiting factor on this though is transportation. I will have to be able to transport the completed table in a Toyota Sienna. I currently live at Tyndall AFB, but making the table in McKinney Texas, and driving it back to my home. I am pretty sure I can get a 4’ x 8’ sheet of whatever in the back, will have to test this before I build the table. LOLOL, I would hate to build something I can’t get back home, that would suck. Our current dining table is 30” x 72”, so this will be a tad bit bigger in its out dimensions. When I get home in a few weeks I will measure the van and see what my max dimensions are. Additionally, the depth of the play space is an issue for me. Looking at the drawings, the depth is about 2.25” of depth from the top of the play surface to the bottom of the inserts. When you add in an acrylic panel and a possible speed cloth insert, you start removing some of this depth. I am looking at adding in 1.5” of depth. So, how do I get there? I will cut the ˝” groove that the bottom play surface sits in the side rails a little lower, and I will make up the rest in making the table taller, by about half an inch and making the side rails half to one inch taller, depends on the lumber in the order. So I can’t set this dimension until I take a look at the Wenge I have on hand. Looking at the pics of the lumber I can scale off of some known dimensions and I should be ok adding this extra depth into the table. Having a deeper play space will allow for more types of games to be played and stored in this space.

The other major divergence from the base design is the accessory rail. The current rail looks fantastic, I think the way to get the attachments into the table, and the pattern needed to support that adds a cool look to the table. However, having used a Geek Chic table, a buddy of mine owns one, I really like how their rail works, also easier to make the accessories. I can’t directly measure a table over here, but my buddy sent me some dimensions, and I can scale off of a few pics of the rail. I plan on building this rail system out of pine first, before I transfer it to the Wenge, can’t afford to ruin an 8 foot board with the incorrect or inoperable rail system. Here is where the Bell Forest hand picked board comes into play. Having my last name as wood, I happen to really like all sorts of wood. Bell Forest was able to feed my addiction, and here are the boards I purchased to make my accessories out of. You can go to that game table website to see what these look like, they will be similar to what they have.

Accessories
Bolivian Rosewood - cup holders
Zebra Wood - card/counter holder
Curly Cherry – Wine Glass Holders
Granadillo - tablet holder, maybe book holder, maybe dice holder
Walnut – Bins

The inserts will be three different burls on one side, currently Elm, Walnut and Redwood. I am thinking of not using the Redwood though and going with something else, to keep all three a darker color, I might dye the Redwood to darken it up, not sure. The other side of the inserts will be a Flat Cut Bolivian Rosewood, and this is absolutely gorgeous, huge shout out to Joe on his selection, and I am thinking of using Zebrawood veneer in there somehow. Having grown the table, the Rosewood might not be large enough to cover all three panels, and I want the grain to line up perfectly across them. Still thinking on this, and will need to measure etc when I get to McKinney.

The bottom of the play space will not be a cabinet plywood, I plan on veneering over MDF this also. I got a great deal on an Eucalyptus burl veneer that has a blade marking the sheets. I also acquired some quartersawn Macassar Ebony, and will use the two to create some sort of pattern on the bottom of the playing surface, I also purchased some inexpensive veneer to back the other side to avoid warping. Since the bottom piece is going to be longer than 6 foot, I had to purchase the 4’ x ‘8 vacuum bag, oh well.

Veneers
Triple Panels Top
AAA Elm Burl Veneer
AAA Redwood Burl Veneer
AAA Walnut Burl Veneer

Triple Panels Bottom
AAA Zebrawood Veneer Sheet
AAA Flat Cut Rosewood (Bolivian) Veneer

Interior Table Bottom
AAA Quartersawn Ebony (Macassar) Veneer
AAA Eucalyptus Burl Veneer
AAA Okoume Veneer Sheet

I plan on doing inlay around the top of the table, on the skirts and on the legs. I have been looking at inlay designs on line and I have not seen a design that carries the side inlay all the way around the table, so goes from skirt to leg back to skirt. Most of what I have seen is a box on each skirt and on each face of the leg. Not sure if I want to do a bunch of boxes, I am stuck on the wrapping the entire side in a continuous run of inlay. There will be three layers of inlay, the two outer bands will be Holly at either 1/8 or 3/16 not sure on the width, and the center will be 1/4 wide, but will be made up of 1 inch long pieces of wood. 50% will be Birds Eye Maple and the other will be from about 20 different types of wood. Here is a list of that wood.

Amboyna Burl
Black Palm
Bocote
Bolivian Rose Wood
B/W Ebony
Brown Mallee Burl
Cocobolo
E. Indian Rose Wood
Gabon Ebony
Holly
Indian Ebony
Jatoba
Katalox
Kingwood
Lace Wood
Leopard Wood
Osage Orange
Padauk
Purple Heart
Red Coolibah Burl
Snakewood
Tamboti
Thuya Burl
Tornillo
Tulip Wood
Zebra Wood
Ziricote

Most of the above woods came in the inlay size from Bell Forest. I can do a mock up of the inlay and see if I like it. Will take some pics. I just love all of the variety of woods, I know it might look busy, but most of the table is black and white, the inlay will be the real varying part, and I don’t think it will over power everything else, but will add a cool touch. Who knows until I try it though? I also plan on doing some inlay in some of the accessories to spice them up some.

For the finish on the inlay section, I plan on doing all of my sanding for the Wenge before I install the inlay. Install all of the inlay, finish it with a cabinet scrapper then seal it. I am very concerned about getting dust into the holly and ruining the color of the wood.

For the overall finish, I plan on filling the pores on the Wenge with Crystalac or Ebony Timbermate. I will do some test samples to see what I like. Here are the various finish schedules I am looking at:

Group 1
No Oil
Crystalac (Shellac – Sand)x3 (Arm R Seal Gloss – Sand)x3 Polish
Crystalac (Shellac – Sand)x3 (Arm R Seal Gloss – Sand)x2 (Arm R Seal Satin – Finish Sand) Steel Wool?
Timbermate (Shellac – Sand)x3 (Arm R Seal Gloss – Sand)x3 Polish
Timbermate (Shellac – Sand)x3 (Arm R Seal Gloss – Sand)x2 (Arm R Seal Satin – Finish Sand) Steel Wool?
Group 2
Some sort of Oil
Crystalac (Shellac – Sand)x3 (Arm R Seal Gloss – Sand)x3 Polish
Crystalac (Shellac – Sand)x3 (Arm R Seal Gloss – Sand)x2 (Arm R Seal Satin – Finish Sand) Steel Wool?
Timbermate (Shellac – Sand)x3 (Arm R Seal Gloss – Sand)x3 Polish
Timbermate (Shellac – Sand)x3 (Arm R Seal Gloss – Sand)x2 (Arm R Seal Satin – Finish Sand) Steel Wool?

So a total of 8 test sample to get finished out. Will take a couple of days to get to the finish point on these. This will also get me comfortable using the various finishes. I am not sure on which oil to use on these guys though. I also understand that I might not get the table finish work complete in my time in Texas, I have a few weeks back at Tyndall where I can complete the work, and let the finish cure for several days before polishing it, if that is what I decide.

I have used a ton of Lacquer on my models, but I don’t have a large scale sprayer, I would laugh trying to finish a table with an air brush. I would also spend a gagillion dollars trying to buy enough spray cans to spray it on, so some sort of wiping finish is going to be required. I have neem researching how to finish all of the boxes, more on this in a bit.

As a way to offset some of this cost, I plan on making a whole bunch of high end card boxes.

African Mahogany
Peruvian Walnut
Mayan Walnut
Aspen
Wenge
Zebra Wood
Flame Birch
Shedua
Honey Locust
Butternut
Hard Maple
Holly
Canarywood
Bocote
Red Heart
Gaboon Ebony – this one is mine.

I plan on filling pores with crystalac, then shellac then probably Arm R Seal on the outside and Spray can Lacquer on the inside, due to its quick dry time. I also plan on re-sawing the boards to get a bottom panel and card dividers for inside the box. Will have to build some jigs, but once I get 1 made, the rest will get knocked out very quickly, the hard part is doing the finish work on these. There will also be some sort of cloth bottom for the boxes. For the top of the boxes, they will probably be MDF core, use the hardwood that the box is made out of for a surround on the MDF and then a veneer for the top and bottom.

So, a lot of unknowns on dimensions, a whole lot of work I have never done before, a very strict time limit, 2000+ miles of driving, no problems! Very excited to build this table, looking forward to posting updates on the progress, and even more important, the completed project.

Cheers,
James

Andrew Hughes
03-21-2016, 3:33 PM
That's a lots of exotics,Sorry couldn't read your post.Too much info and it make me sleepy.
If your not seasoned with working with exotic woods beware of the dust.Some of them are poisonous esp snakewood.
If you can pull it off should be a killer table.

Prashun Patel
03-21-2016, 3:54 PM
I'm going through a less-is-more phase, so your approach stands in welcome contrast to that and is making me think. This is really pushing the envelope.

Looking forward to seeing the Technicolor Dreamcoat, Joseph

Jesse Brown
03-21-2016, 5:32 PM
I just started getting into veneers myself and learned a few things: a practice panel or two is a good way to avoid mistakes; jointing veneers can be tricker than it sounds; removing veneer tape is more work than it ought to be; and finally, veneer seems strong until that one time you pick it up the wrong way and put a huge split in it.

Sounds like a cool project--I hope you post lots of pictures!

James Wood
03-25-2016, 12:40 PM
Well, most of the material have arrived where the table is going to be built, some cool pics. I can't wait to actually see the boards in person, a few weeks out though. I know not very exciting, but I am stoked!

Thanks for the feedback, appreciate the info!

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, sometimes it is hard to break into a new forum. All of the advice is excellent, and I can't wait to share my experiences. My posts I have written for my model builds run into 80 pages plus! I like writing about what I am doing, helps me to think about and plan the next steps in the process.

There won't be much movement on this build until I get to Texas. I don't think people want to hear that a few router bits came in the mail, or the my 50" straight edge arrived, lol!

Cheers,
James

Chris Hachet
04-12-2016, 11:22 AM
I'm going through a less-is-more phase, so your approach stands in welcome contrast to that and is making me think. This is really pushing the envelope.

Looking forward to seeing the Technicolor Dreamcoat, Joseph

I am going through the same phase myself, and yes this is pushing the envelope.

James Wood
04-14-2016, 5:09 PM
I don't think it will be techinicolor, will show you a mock up of what I am thinking about, when I get to my material. To each their own though!

I had ordered several different 1/8" pieces of wood from D&D Woodcrafts, the wood was to be used as dividers in the card boxes that I am going to build. I was supposed to ship it to Texas, but instead sent it to my house in Florida, which turned out to be great.

I am testing several different finishes schedules on this piece of Wenge, and my wife is here and we can make a decision on which way to finish thee gaming table! Even though there is some additional cost doing it this way, having wife buy in is worth the extra expense, also knowing how I am going to finish the table will help in construction order.

So, the picture attached shows several different panels, and my cluttered kitchen counter top!

I am looking at several different finish schedules.

BLO only - I just wanted to see how the Wenge would react, and as the research has shown, the Wenge gets REALLY dark, so much so, that the beautiful browns and blacks in the wood sort of meld into the same color. No desire to do this on the table.

Lacquer only - I put down two coats of satin lacquer on one of the squares, it did a good job of preserving the browns and blacks, just don't feel that there is enough protection on this high use/abused piece of furniture.

I did a panel of just General Finishes Arm R Seal, to see how the unfilled grain looks, both the wife and I don't like the unfilled grain look. I built 4 layers of gloss, and then finished half of the panel in satin to see the difference, we really like the satin look. Even with 5 thin coats, it still looks pretty close to the wood for a finish. I did a light sanding in between the coats.

There are six panels where I am trying three different pore fillers, Ebony Timbermate, Dark Brown Walnut and Crystalac Clear pore filler. All three are water based. I am trying shellac first on three of the panels, and filler then shellac then varnish on the other three panels. I want to see if order makes a difference in the final look.

Finally, I have tried several different methods of putting down the various material. Paper towel, cotton fabric, a cheap sponge brush, a cheap paint brush. I can't tell a difference in the final outcome when applying either thee shellac or Arm R Seal. I am not sure if the small areas I am applying it to are making the difference, but Arm R Seal and thee shellac are viscous enough to fill in and level out the finish, I have even purposefully leeft air bubbles in the Arm R Seal, and they all eventually pop a level out. I do like using a pad of cotton fabric the most to apply the finish, and since I own 5 yards of thee material, that is what I will use on the table.

BLO looks fantastic on all of the other woods I tried it on, Bocote, Zebrawood, Walnut, and Maple, this will work well for the boxes, but not the table.

I am gathering up my tools, and getting ready to head to Texas next week. I will post an update on the finishes when my pore fillers get here and I will let you know on the final finish schedule that is wife approved.

Cheers,
James

James Wood
04-23-2016, 11:46 PM
Day 1 of the Build

Finally made it to Texas! We moved all of the wood last night over to my Dad's house, that took a while, also was a little tired after driving 900 miles. This morning moved all of the veneer stuff over.

So, this is the first time I got my eyeballs on the wood and veneer. All I can say is WOWOWOWOWOW. I can't recommend enough Bell Forest Products.com and Veneer Supplies.com. The 90BF or so of 8/4 Wenge is absolutely stunning. However, it is very hard and REALLY heavy, the table is going to be heavy. The table is 8 inches wider and 6 inches longer, that is a lot more MDF and Wenge.

Most of the work we did today was procuring a jointer, planer, bandsaw, new blades, router bits and a bunch of sheet goods.

Sort of a breakdown of where and what.

We went to Woodcraft first. Due to all of the negatives I have heard about Wenge and tear out, I went with the Freud ultimate cross cut blade, the few cuts I made today went extremely well. Zero tear out, and the edges were fantastic. I chuckle when my 15 year old Rigid miter saw has a blade worth much more than it on it. Also got a Timber Wolf blade to put on the band saw. Will set that up tomorrow.
My Dad's Shopsmith is sporting a Forrest combo blade, will try that out tomorrow should be good to go though, recently serviced/sharpened.

We then headed over to Rockler, we got a Bosch plunge router and the edge guide, picked up some Tite Bond III.

Picked up some clamps at Harbor Freight, not nearly as nice as the high end ones, but they have to work 4 times on this, needed to buy blades for the saws instead of the clamps.

Headed over to Lowes got the planer, band saw and all of the sheet goods, somehow got it all to fit into my minivan, yeah for mini vans!

After transporting all of the material to the house, we got the jointer and router table set up this evening, decided on what wood was going where in the table. This was sort of predetermined though because I am trying to deepen the gaming area by over an inch, so the widest boards were tagged for the side rails, then we picked the most matching of the remaining three for the top of the table, and the last three for legs.

We tested one of the boards on the jointer, worked great, no tear out.

We will get the legs glued up tomorrow, rest of the tools set up and adjusted, start working the rails, and hopefully get the first jigs built for the inlay work. Excited to finally be moving on this!

Pics tomorrow.

Cheers,
James

Art Mann
04-24-2016, 10:45 AM
You would probably get more readers and responses if your first post weren't so long winded. I just didn't have the will to wade through it.

James Wood
04-24-2016, 10:54 PM
Well, can't help that, hopefully people look down and see shorter posts with pics! Here is a shorter post.

Got a lot of work done on the table today. We got the leg wood choice completed, basically which chunks of wood would make up each leg. We were able to get 3 of the legs to look really good, and the 4th is just ok, will have to make sure that the bad leg is in the farthest corner in the room. Took us a while to get the legs glued up. After that we ate some lunch and headed over to Elliot's Hardware in Plano TX, a ginormous hardware store with lots of hard to find bits and pieces. We needed to get an adaptor piece to get the vacuum pump I own to plug into the bag from Veneer Supplies. We are going to get the bag all set up tomorrow, we need to start flattening some of the veneer in preparation for actually veneering something. We spent the afternoon reverse engineering the channel that the Geek Chic accessories slide into. No details here on measurements etc, but without an actual cup holder, a buddy of mine owns one of their table, we wouldn't have gotten the channel correct. Some dimensions don't really matter too much in the great scheme of things, but two are critical if you want your accessory to sit properly in the channel. We spent quite a while practicing in a pine 2x4, and after some confidence built up there, we made transferred to our spare test piece of Wenge. Hopefully the attached pic shows how well it turned out. I also got the band saw together, installed the Timber Wolf blade, and started messing around with the saw, trying to get a feel for how it works, and what we are going to need to do to get it to work the way we need it to. Looks like we will need to build some jigs to cut all of the inlay pieces. The edges I was getting free handing it were not so good. The saw didn't come with an edge guide, need to find a cheap one to put on there.

We plan on getting the mortises on the table legs done tomorrow, along with all of the channel cuts into the side rails. We are also going to get the veneer bag set up, in the dining room, lol, Mom isn't too happy, just for a few days, and start to flatten some of the non flat veneer. I don't think we will get the tennons cut on the side rails, but who knows! I am debating on changing how far back the rails sit in realtion to the legs, to show off some more of the inlay that will wrap around the side of the table, still thinking on that. It wouldn't affect much, will need to take a look at it tomorrow.

Pic 1 is on our first Wenge cut, all went well, the blade was awesome.

Pic 2 is of the table legs set out, and trying to get the best grain match on the pieces, we shifted around a bit for the final product. Was also able to hide some of the VERY rare defects on this Wood. Bell Forrest did an outstanding job of wood selection.

Pic 3 is of the 4 legs all caulled(sp?) up, glued and clamped together. We don't own as many clamps as some others. :) The really cheap clamps from Harbor Freight, are well, really cheap. We only have to hold the table together and the table top inserts left on what these needed to be used on. They are really cheap!

Pic 4 is our pine test piece we needed to use to gain some XP on the channel dimensions.

Pic 5 is the finalized channel in the Wenge. Took us a while to sneak up on the last dimension, but we got it, after about 6 little tiny passes, but the final product is super awesome.

Looking forward to tomorrow.

Cheers,
James

James Wood
04-25-2016, 10:49 PM
Day 3 of the Build

Got some good work completed today, we got the legs squared up, and the mortises cut in. That was really hard to cut those with a router. I checked the widths of the 8 mortises, and we were able to get all 8 within 0.025 tolerance, with most falling within 0.010 of each other, there were two outliers. So, pretty happy with the success with the router edge guide. The biggest take away from this though is the need for a really good work bench, the 2x4 folding table with 2 sheets of 0.75 plywood slapped on top is ok, but a level, flat work surface would make things much easier and much more accurate. I would have liked to have all the mortises within 0.005" of each other!

Started to mock up the inlay, will get that finished tomorrow.

We also started to work the rails, and determined, that the little Porter Cable jointer, while mighty for its price, can't get the longer Wenge pieces flat. It is really hard to keep 7 foot of board hanging off of the end of the jointer flat to the surface, too much weight with too much leverage. So tomorrow, my Dad and I are headed over to Build's Member Workshop. You can pay one of the owners on a 15 minute interval to do work in their shop. This works out great for us. We are going to get him to joint all of the rail and table top pieces, also the long board of Holly. I also plan on bringing a board over to see how well he can resaw some wood.

We got the veneer bag and platen set up today. Also pulled out and looked at all of the veneer, to figure out the order to start flattening what needs to be flattened. Takes a day or two to do that, so need to start soon to make sure we are not waiting on veneer when we need it.

So for tomorrow, plan on getting the boards jointed, finishing the inlay mock up, verifying that I like it, also, should get the rails completed, flatten the veneer needed to finish the bottom MDF board, get the tenns cut and get some of the jigs needed to cut the inlay wood on the jig saw. Another busy day.

Pic 1 is of the mortises cut, they need to be cleaned up with a chisel tomorrow. That was really hard to get down.

Pic 2 is of the veneer, we turned the dinning room into an veneering room!

Pic 3 shows the slots that the inlay will be inserted into. Hopefully it comes out looking good.

Pic 4 a ton of effort to basically make some 4" x 4"s, lol.

Cheers,
James

James Wood
04-26-2016, 10:37 PM
Day 4 of the Build

Another great day of progress. The morning was spent trying to figure out how to get the longer boards jointed. I was able to locate a place called Build Member's Workshop, and they were gracious enough to have someone joint the boards for me. They usually have a monthly membership fee, and a required safety class, but one of the employees, Thomas, hooked us up. We went from the 2 foot long Porter Cable mini jointer, to a very large Delta, which made short work of the long boards on the table. We were able to get all of the remaining lumber jointed, including the Holly, and also made use of their table saw to rip the boards to width. So the side rails and the table top pieces are all at their correct widths. We plane'd the side rails down to 1.6 inches, will work the top rails in a few days. We also mocked up the inlay pattern, very happy with how it is going to look, so went ahead and did all of the routing on the side rails and on the table legs. I wanted to carry the inlay pattern from the rails around the legs, and back onto the rails. Ran into the first real issue of tear out though, going to have to do some repair work on the table legs due to tear out. We also got a lot of prep work completed today for the veneer work. We need to flatten some of the veneer, so cut all of the cauls for that, and will start that process tomorrow, will take a while to get them flattened.

For tomorrow, we should get the mortises cleaned up, the tenons cut on the side rails, that is all that is left on those pieces, get several pieces of veneer into the press to start the flattening process, get the MDF bottom piece cut, and I will start the veneer design that will go on that piece, maybe start working the top rails, if we have time.

Pic 1 is of the inlay mock up, this is with just birds eye maple, and zebrawood. The final will have many other woods, with maple in between, also sanded down and level, unlike the pic. Really like the Holly on the outside, can't wait to see a complete rail down.

Pic 2 is a picture of the workshop who really helped us out today, they are located in Southlake Texas, check em out!

Pic 3 is the tear out on the legs :(

Pic 4 is of the side rails and all of the inlay channels cut.

Pic 5 is of the top rails, needs more work, but getting there.

Cheers
James

James Wood
04-27-2016, 11:15 PM
Day 5 of the Build

Great progress today, was a long day, 13 hours. Started to flatten several of the veneers, however, ran in to a problem on the rosewood veneer, hopefully will get a solution. Got the jug made for the inlay pieces, need 600 or so 1" x 0.25" x 0.25" little blocks of wood. Got all of the inlay boards, jointed and cut down to 1" in width, and then started bandsawing away on getting them down to 0.25" The they need light sanding on each side, then they get a fit check in a checker piece. Lots of boring labor to get all of the pieces needed to finish that part of the table, hopefully, will be looking pretty darn cool when completed. The big task completed, we got all of the tennons cut today, however, they each require hand finishing to fit in their mortis, so another few hours of work to get them sorted out. We cut a practice piece, since neither of us have done a mortis and tennon joint. We saw that the dado stack was causing tear out on the areas where we routed the inlay channels. We ended up cutting around each joint with the sharper blade on the table saw, then used the dado stack to hack out the left over material. Not wanting to damage the nice square work we had done, we didn't bring the dado all the way up flush with the original cut around the piece. If the very long board got twisted while dado'ing, would ruin the nice joint. Pics on this are attached.

Will have the base assemeblef tomorrow morning, and will cut the MDF bottom piece. Hopefully will get the veneer design for this base done, and will probably glue up the veneer on Friday in the morning.

Getting closer to being complete with construction on the table.

Pic 1 - A Dalek?

Pic 2 - Cutting around the tennon with the table saw to ensure that we get a crisp, square joint.

Pic 3 - Or test tennon on a small cut off, and some test boards we did, making sure that our table saw cut would eliminate tear out on the rail boards.

Pic 4 - Our test tennon in an actual table leg!

Pic 5 - The jig we made to help us cut the pieces for the inlay.

Cheers,
James

James Wood
04-28-2016, 10:41 PM
Day 6 of the Build

Not a lot of pics today, alot of the work completed isn't too sexy. I spent a few hours this morning finishing up all of the mortise and tenons. Lots of filing and chisel work to get them all to fit perfectly snug. We purposely didn't try to get the perfect on the power equipment, with the idea to finish them up by hand. No pictures of the tenons though :), they were kind of ugly but effective. We got the rails and legs dry fitted, and measured, and we were 1/32 out of square on one measurement, pretty darn happy with those results.

We got the top rails planed down to the correct thickness, we also strategized about how to go about getting all of the needed cuts into them. I spent a few more hours getting the band saw squared out to do the cuts needed to do the bridle joint cuts on the top rails and did a lot of practice cuts. After a bunch of practice and critiques of those cuts, felt confident enough to do the final cuts on the lumber going into the table. The cuts for the most part came out quite nice. While cleaning out the material in the middle of the I did cut a little too deep, it was hard to control the lumber to get the saw to cut, and then stop on a dime not to cut where I shouldn't. For the most part, it worked out quite well. Where I made a small booboo or two, there is always timber mate ebony to fill in that gap.

The last part of the day was spent working with veneer. Another new skill that I have not had much experience with. I sort of damaged my Bolivian rosewood with the softening solution, but was able to recover and undo most of the issues. I also tried using some BLO on some of the stained/oil removed areas, and it worked pretty well. The super softener 2 worked amazing well on the other veneers I flattened, but the rosewood didn't like it at all. I jointed and taped up the veneer that goes on the bottom of the table, out of site. I did a lot of different techniques and practice with different cutting methods and trimming methods to see how they affected the veneer and what will work for me. I don't have a lot of material though to practice on though, will make do. Also spent some time trying to figure out how to layout of the veneer on the top of the bottom MDF sheet, this is the gaming surface. I think I figured it out while running tonight, will see how it goes tomorrow, and of course pics of whatever I come up with.

The only pic is of the table dry fitted together.

Cheers,
James

James Wood
04-29-2016, 11:12 PM
Day 7

Interesting day, first time to do any veneering. Took 6 hours to get the burl all laid out and taped together, and took 4 people to get the glue up done and loaded into the vacuum bag. Of course, the bottom, which no one will ever see, came out perfect, the top, which is the burl is 98% fantastic, there were a few wrinkle that will have to be carefully sanded flat, fingers crossed that there is enough veneer to do that on these few wrinkles. Also, my vacuum pump decided to poop oil, up the vacuum tube, into the veneer bag. Not the end of the world, since the veneer was going to be finished with BLO before shellac, and then some varnish, but a pain none the less. Going to get some sort of valve to keep the oil from coming back up the tube on the next few glue ups.

Spent some time today testing how thin the planer can go, thin enough is the answer, we can get the thickness we need for another project we are running in conjunction.

Spent a bunch of time finishing out the bridle joints. Need to complete the other side tomorrow and start the glue up of the top rail, after cutting out the rabbit joints.

Then spent some time to finish cutting out inlay chunks, and place them in the side rails, pics attached. Will need to glue them in tomorrow, so I can start the sanding and finishing of the rails and other parts, pretty big step forward.

Tomorrow will be a short day, only 6 hours or so available to work on the table, due to some family obligations, but plan on getting the bridle joints done, with glue on 1 of them. Glue in the inlay into the side rails, start to sand the veneered board and look at repairing some of the cross grain routing needed for the inlay on the legs.

Still need to cut the taper into the legs, they look to blocky without a taper.

Pic 1 is of the tape up of the large burl veneer sheet.

Pic 2 is a pic of the inlay in the side rails, need to glue them in and sand them flat.

Cheers,
James

James Wood
05-02-2016, 12:03 AM
Day 7

Interesting day, first time to do any veneering. Took 6 hours to get the burl all laid out and taped together, and took 4 people to get the glue up done and loaded into the vacuum bag. Of course, the bottom, which no one will ever see, came out perfect, the top, which is the burl is 98% fantastic, there were a few wrinkle that will have to be carefully sanded flat, fingers crossed that there is enough veneer to do that on these few wrinkles. Also, my vacuum pump decided to poop oil, up the vacuum tube, into the veneer bag. Not the end of the world, since the veneer was going to be finished with BLO before shellac, and then some varnish, but a pain none the less. Going to get some sort of valve to keep the oil from coming back up the tube on the next few glue ups.

Spent some time today testing how thin the planer can go, thin enough is the answer, we can get the thickness we need for another project we are running in conjunction.

Spent a bunch of time finishing out the bridle joints. Need to complete the other side tomorrow and start the glue up of the top rail, after cutting out the rabbit joints.

Then spent some time to finish cutting out inlay chunks, and place them in the side rails, pics attached. Will need to glue them in tomorrow, so I can start the sanding and finishing of the rails and other parts, pretty big step forward.

Tomorrow will be a short day, only 6 hours or so available to work on the table, due to some family obligations, but plan on getting the bridle joints done, with glue on 1 of them. Glue in the inlay into the side rails, start to sand the veneered board and look at repairing some of the cross grain routing needed for the inlay on the legs.

Still need to cut the taper into the legs, they look to blocky without a taper.

Pic 1 is of the tape up of the large burl veneer sheet.

Pic 2 is a pic of the inlay in the side rails, need to glue them in and sand them flat.

Cheers,
James

Day 8

Spent 2 hours gluing inlay and 2 hours sanding the veneered board.

Day 9

Spent another 2 hours sanding the freshly veneered board. Learned a lot about veneering, some do's and don'ts. I used too much glue, unfortunately. This caused wrinkling in the veneer, so it would have been impossible to sand it relatively flat without burn through. So, I used the glue as a design feature! You can see in the pic that the glue burned through in more than a few places, but it looks organic overall, so kind of cool, at least that is what I keep telling myself. I can't go back and redo this, unfortunately I don't have time to. Also got some good info, a much better idea on glue, put the burl on the flat side, and the more orderly grained wood under the mesh, almost all of my joints were perfect, except for glue poke through, where there wasn't any glue poke through, they looked great. The good news, all of the future veneer will be much easier, smaller boards, and many fewer sheets that need to be taped together.

After sanding, BLO'd the burl side, needs 2 days to dry before I shellac it. I need to glue up the base on Wednesday, so this needed to be completed today.

Also got the rail inlay and leg inlay done today. The legs took me quite a while, cutting all of the pieces that meet at the corners, my little miter box was giving me fits, causing a lot of bad cuts, and just overall trauma. The pieces are too small to cut on a power saw, so just had to struggle through it. All of the inlay has also been Timbermate filled, sanded and BLO'd, give it 2 days to dry before shellac.

I also spent a lot of time testing the water based finish from General Finishes. It worked quite well. I used the gloss and Aqua Coat to get the pores filled. In one day got 8 coats down on it, all thin, and looked great at the end. I also tried filling the pores with ebony Timbermate, I prefered the aqua coat, also easier to apply. Your mileage might vary.

We started the bridle joints, but we had been at it for 13 hours, called it a day. We did get the test male side of the bridle joint cut, and started on the table ones before stopping.

Pic 1 is of the veneered board with special glue accents!

Lots of work needs to get completed tomorrow.

Cheers,
James

James Wood
05-02-2016, 11:52 PM
Day 10

A great day today. Got the joint cut in the rails for the bottom board. Finished up all of the bridle joints, they were painful. Got the jig built to cut the tapers in the legs. Glued up the top rail in a single shot, that was a good experience, will help with gluing up the base. Got the band saw tuned up enough to re-saw a 7/8" board into two 5/16" boards, that was pretty cool. Also cut the MDF boards for the inserts in the table.

The sad part of the day though was having to joint and plane a board of Holly. Using the Holly to run inlay on the table, and wanted to do single pieces, and not splice them together. Made some expensive white dust this afternoon!

Pic 1 is of the table rail, the thing is dead on square, better than the base!

Pic 2 is of the boards for the accessories, the Rosewood will be cup holders and the Granadillo will be dice/counter/stuff holders.

Tomorrow will get the routing done for the table top, which is the rabbit joints and inlay. Will glue up the base sides, cut the inside boards that square up the playing surface, will get 2 of the inserts veneered, cut the inside rails that square up the playing surface, re-saw some more boards, and get the card box design completed. Looking forward to it! The end is in sight.

Cheers,
James

James Wood
05-05-2016, 1:01 AM
Day 11

We worked 17 hours, no blogging, very tired.

Day 12

Great day, lots of gluing complete. We got the base of the table together, all of the inserts have been veneered and are getting their edge trimming glued on, we got better with each board, top rail was assembled and glued up, started the inlay for it tonight, lots of milling on lumber for box making, the accessories actually fit into the accessory rail! Getting close to being complete, minus all of the finishing work, lol.

For tomorrow, we will glue the top rail and side walls to the bottom portion, we want 24 hours on the glue cure before loading the table into the minivan. Here is what is left to complete the table, 1.5 days to go!

Glue to and bottom parts together.
Glue last two inner walls to the top rail.
Finish sand the top rail and run the round over bit on it before gluing it in.
Bust out the lathe and turn the ebony insert poker upper.
Drill the hole in the drink holders.
Router out the dice holders.
Finish routing on the accessories.
Drill a hole in the table to hold the poker outer.
Finish gluing up the inserts.
Friday morning we will trim and cut in the overlap joint on the inserts.

I don't think I have missed any major item. I have finish sanded the bottom half of the table, it will need some touch up sanding before starting all of the finish work on the bottom.

Table won't be quite done before heading home, but construction should be 99.5% or so.

Marc's videos made this look super easy, HELIES!!! LOL, it took two people, 13.5 days, and I worked 13.5 hours on average on the full days. A lot of time was lost due to the small size of the garage, and having to move everything around for the next operation, but, it is still a ton of work building one of these.

Pic 1 is of the inserts, with no border, just wanted to see how they looked on the table top. This isn't a set up for target practice though. I have some dark brown dye, I don't think I will use it though. The other side of the inserts are rosewood, will take some pics of that tomorrow or Friday.

Pic 2 is a good shot of the table under glue. Also, a good shot of the inlay, actually sanded down and looking pretty good. The Holly strips are continuous, no breaks.

Pic 3 is the top rail with the side walls being glued in.

Pic 4 is the table under glue. We are already storing stuff on that horizontal surface. The size of the garage and not having a real work bench added to our troubles and time to build. Not being able to clamp material while it is laying flat sucks.

Pic 5 is an insert under glue.

2 Days left!

Cheers,
James

James Wood
05-06-2016, 1:06 AM
Day 13

Another 15.5 hour day, the pic says it all though. I wanted to work on the inlay after gluing the top down, the clamps were kind of in the way, so, started packing up and cleaning up the garage.

What is left to do tomorrow?

Complete the inlay on top.
Fit the inserts into the table.
Drill the hole for the poker upper thingy - will require a new drill bit, we couldn't locate the extra long one :(
Lathe up a poker upper thingy and fit it into the table.
Pack the van.

What a great two weeks of construction with the Dad. Very tired, but very proud of what we have built. The most square thing either of us have done.

Cheers,
James

James Wood
05-07-2016, 12:22 AM
Day 14

Construction is 98.62305% complete! Some inlay left, and some tweaking of the inserts, but, the table is loaded into the van and I have a 900 mile trip to drive tomorrow. More detail coming, need to start the finishing of the table. I got a large portion of the finish sanding complete while it was apart, but all of the joints need it, and the inserts need a ton of work to bring out the beauty of the veneer.

Cheers,
James

Jesse Brown
05-08-2016, 1:10 PM
Well done! I hope you update the thread after finishing is complete. Congrats on the great table.

william watts
05-08-2016, 2:22 PM
Great looking table. To progress from lumber to table in 14 days is an amazing speed build. Post some pics with the veneer tape removed and the finish applied. Gaming on your table would be a pleasure.

Bill

James Wood
05-10-2016, 8:41 PM
Thanks for the kind words, plan on posting as long as I can. I am deploying again in a few weeks, so there might be a year break before the table gets finished. lol

A Couple of Days Later

Well, the table BARELY fit into the Toyota Man Van, ended up scratching some of the plastic though, which made me seriously sad, which only relates to wood working in the sense that you should measure your moving device twice before cutting?

Finished up the inlay on the top of the table, still have the sides to complete, hopefully at some point this week. Mainly have been sanding though, 8 plus hours of that in the last few days. The table is coming along quite nicely, however, some of the experience has been painful. Removed too much of the veneer in a few places. Would have been easier if I had a better assembly table. I put the inserts panels together on a covered dining room table, so I had a really hard time keeping everything flush. In my efforts to sand everything flat, got a bit over zealous. Live and learn, still looks pretty darn good though. If I ever rework part of the table, it will be the inserts, after I have a nice flat assembly table to put them together on.

I have been experimenting with different colored Timbermate on gap filling, and I made some dye. The dye is great, need to use a paint brush to get it exactly where I want it though, not that big of a deal.

Pic 1 is of the table top with the burl veneer up. You can still see the need for Holly on the legs, this weekend or sooner hopefully on that.

Pic 2 is of the rosewood veneer up. Worked very hard to get the panels to line back up. I have to cut them into thirds to tape them up, the edges got all riply, and the veneer wasn't very flexible. My take away is that rosewood is very temperamental veneer. This was the hardest veneer to work with.

Pic 3 shows the interior space. It is about 4 inches deep, which allows for a lot of storage, or leaving taller type miniature games up. You can see some of the Timbermate ebony filler at work in the bottom left of the pic. I was worried how this would work when it got all oiled up.

Pic 4 shows how amazing the rosewood looks with a little BLO applied, the wife was amazed. It was hard to explain how much pop there would be when looking at sanded panels on the right. You can also see some of the excessive sanding on the veneer, oh well, :(

Pic 5 shows the cup holder, sans insert. The rosewood also looks amazing. Not sure if I want to put any other finish on there, the BLO looks great, but I know that the cup holder inserts will most likely sweat, causing damage, so going to have to do something, unfortunately.

Getting closer!

Cheers,
James

James Wood
05-16-2016, 10:32 PM
Even more time has passed........

Not a lot to show, the amount of work to progress made in pictures is approaching a very exponential number. I have gotten the Holly in on the table legs, that is looking a lot better. I have also got the sides of the inserts sanded out and BLO'd. I was kind of stuck on how much sanding. My Dad and I didn't have access to a cabinet saw, so doing this work on the Shopsmith, while doable, was really tough. We ended up with some saw blade marks on the boards due to getting them to slide through the set up. We waxed up everything, but on occasion it would bind. If I sanded those marks out, it would decrease the size of the insert, and increase the size of the gap around the table. So, minimal sanding, since you will not often see this, and some boiled linseed oil later, pretty happy with how it looks.

So, now I am in a holding patern for 5 days. I did apply shellac to the bottom of the table, used this as practice for working on the top. I don't think I am going to use a cloth puck to apply, going to try a brush. I need to let the BLO dry/cure before I apply some shellac over it, let that dry for a day, the start applying the High Performance from GF.

Slowly but surely moving forward to completion!

Cheers,
James337550337551

Neil Gaskin
06-10-2016, 1:25 AM
Sexy as hell.

Christopher Charles
06-13-2016, 1:34 AM
James, you strike me as one who jumps head-long into everything you do--and then do it well. Great project and wonderful you were able to do it with your dad!

Best,
C

Jerry Olexa
06-25-2016, 4:04 PM
Very well done!! I respect your patience !! I lack that...

Scott DelPorte
06-25-2016, 7:31 PM
Wow, what a great project. Makes me a little embarrassed at the slow progress I make on my own projects.