PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone help with this Blower Motor?

Barry McFadden
03-21-2016, 8:36 AM
I want to make a dust collector for my lathe and was going to hook something up to my shop vac until I found this blower in the basement. I'm hoping someone here that knows more about motors than me can tell me if I can hook it up as is or does it need a start cap. I see the 3 wires for the 115 AC connection but I'm not sure if I need anything connected to the other 2 wires that are there. Possibly they were needed for the machine the blower was originally in (a very large photocopy machine) and not needed for this application? Any help would be appreciated...thanks.

Malcolm McLeod
03-21-2016, 9:27 AM
I believe the extra 2-wire connection is for a speed signal. The signal could be 4-20mA (24Vdc), or more likely, 0-10Vdc. Ametek is still in biz, so you should be able to get manual or specs for the motor.

If I'm correct, you would need to provide this signal to use the blower in your application. If you want single speed operation, just connect a 10Vdc power supply to the signal wires (i.e. a wall-wart, 115Vac to 10Vdc supply). If you want variable speed, you need a variable voltage supply - - look at Allied Electronics website, or your favorite local electrical supply house.

Just as an aside, I doubt very much that the impeller will survive a strike by debris, so suggest you locate it downstream of collection (?? work>hose>pipe>dust deputy>pull-thru filter>blower ??).

Barry McFadden
03-21-2016, 9:57 AM
Thanks Malcolm.....I looked on the Ametek/Lamb Electric site but nothing close to this is on there..(it's about 30 years old)... I only want to use it when sanding on the lathe so nothing but dust will be hitting it...

John McClanahan
03-21-2016, 11:01 AM
Possibly an external run capacitor. Connecting the black and white to power will tell. If the blower doesn't spin up, it needs a run capacitor.

John

Dennis Peacock
03-21-2016, 11:52 AM
Also please keep in mind that dust collection at the lathe typically requires a large amount of CFM air movement. The more air you can move? The better the dust collection. :)

Barry McFadden
03-21-2016, 5:07 PM
Thanks for the replies....I found out today that I may be able to get hold of the wiring diagrams from the machine the blower was used in and should be able to see what was connected to the other 2 wires....