PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
03-21-2016, 12:04 AM
21 March 2016

Good Morning Everyone,
The rain has gone, cooler temps have returned, and a new fire started in the woodstove for heat. Getting plans together for the LOML Jr's baby cradle since this will be our first grandchild, I'm just a bit excited about venturing into my first cradle work. I'm looking forward to it.

Been working at lot at the day job and getting yard work done on the nice days. The LOML has had me busy working on a honey-do list. I still need to finish the daughter's blanket chest that we both started a long time ago. Time seems to slip past me before I even get started good.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Malcolm Schweizer
03-21-2016, 3:31 AM
Congratulations! What design did you choose for the cradle?

It was my daughter's third birthday and we had a party at the beach. About the only woodworking I did was cutting a bush because daddy forgot the stick to hit the piņata. Fortunately, daddy is never without a knife, and a very sharp knife! What a gorgeous day.
Mapped out out the cut list for my Roubo build and totaled up the cost of two Hovarter vises. Eek! I need to sharpen some more knives! I did $35 worth of knife sharpening for the local butcher to add to the vise fund. Here is the mahogany for the base of the bench. (I am rearranging the shop, so pardon the mess.) 8/4 thick, 15.5" wide, 12' long. The other is 8" wide. This is how I buy mahogany locally, and I joint them by hand! This is why I need a long, heavy bench.

Charles Wiggins
03-21-2016, 6:09 AM
The next door neighbor had a dead red oak standing between our houses. We had a pro come in and drop it on Tuesday. He doesn't burn wood so I am going to help with the expense in exchange for the wood. I spent my evenings cutting and splitting it small enough to get it in the truck and move it down to start drying. Finished that task up on Saturday afternoon just as the rain was starting back up.
334202 334203

Jim Becker
03-21-2016, 11:02 AM
This weekend, I finished the buffet portion of my buffet/hutch project (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?241330-Project-Buffet-Hutch-Part-One-The-Hutch-(Work-in-Progress-Currently)&p=2543889#post2543889) and got it moved into the house. I'm quite pleased with this project to-date. Along with a few errands, I also built a small wall-hung shelf unit for my older daughter's room...it just needs to be finished next weekend.

Mark Arnold
03-21-2016, 9:03 PM
A friend's daughter wanted a kitchen table. She bought the legs and we got together Sunday and built it - mortised and tenoned the rails into the legs and then pocket screwed the corner braces and stretchers into the rails. The top was made of five 1x8's glued and held together with a few pocket screws. His daughter is very happy and will be staining the top and painting the legs.
334281 334280