PDA

View Full Version : Jet 14" Bandsaw

Sean Troy
03-20-2016, 10:27 PM
Hey all, I have a Jet 14" Bandsaw that has been serving me well for about 10 Years. It has the Jet 6" riser extension add on. I used that for bowl blanks clearance. I don't use it for that any more as I don't turn large wood anymore. Would there be any benefit to removing the extension block and returning the saw to stock? I really can't think of anything I would do with the saw that requires that height. Thanks, Sean

lowell holmes
03-21-2016, 7:40 AM
I have the Jet 14" band saw with riser block. I like it and I don't turn bowls. You would lose re-saw capacity it you took the block out.

Al Launier
03-21-2016, 8:11 AM
Other than continuing to pay more for the longer blades, or having to buy shorter blades if you remover the riser block, I don't see any disadvantage to removing the riser block.

Sean Troy
03-21-2016, 8:20 AM
I have the Jet 14" band saw with riser block. I like it and I don't turn bowls. You would lose re-saw capacity it you took the block out.
I have never had any luck re-sawing with this bandsaw so have not done much.

lowell holmes
03-21-2016, 11:23 AM
You have to develop a technique to successfully re-saw. Practice makes perfect, well almost:).

I mark the centerline of the board with a sharpie pen and free hand feed it. The blade should be taught, but I don't over tighten.
I typically will use a 3/8" blade. I haven't found that a 1" blade works well on the saw, so 3/8" or or 1/2" is used.

I normally run the resaw halves through the planer.

If you don't like the riser block, by all means, take it off.

Sean Troy
03-21-2016, 12:14 PM
You have to develop a technique to successfully re-saw. Practice makes perfect, well almost:).

I mark the centerline of the board with a sharpie pen and free hand feed it. The blade should be taught, but I don't over tighten.
I typically will use a 3/8" blade. I haven't found that a 1" blade works well on the saw, so 3/8" or or 1/2" is used.

I normally run the resaw halves through the planer.

If you don't like the riser block, by all means, take it off.
Are you using the stock fence that came with the saw for re-sawing?

lowell holmes
03-21-2016, 1:25 PM
I have a Kreg fence, and if the mood strikes, I will use the re-saw attachment. I will mark the center line of the board and then, with curved face re-saw attachment in place, cut to the center line of the edge.

I've not had much success just holding the board against the fence and re-sawing. On a small board, I might mark a center line and free hand it.
I tend to tension the blade by mood, according to the mood I'm in at the time. I use a push stick when doing this !!!!

Daniel O'Neill
03-22-2016, 8:29 AM
I have a Jet 14" w/Riser as well. One thing that surprised me was a youtube video (the link was posted here on another thread) by Carter Blade Guides. The guy mentioned that placement on the wheel is important. I had always put the blade in the wrong spot. Now I have a 3/4" on there and it resaws great. It takes a bit to tune and get that big of a blade working in the saw but right now it's my best blade and I doubt I'll have to do any curves soon so I've left it on. If I find the video I'll edit this post and add a link.

lowell holmes
03-22-2016, 8:40 AM
http://www.carterproducts.com/band-saw-products/band-saw-stabilizer/stabilizer-demo-videos

See if this is the video/