PDA

View Full Version : Corner Table

Mike Henderson
03-20-2016, 9:33 PM
Here's a three legged corner table that my wife asked for. It's made from one mahogany board that I had left from when I made her a coffee table.

It has a curved front and a "serving tray" type top.

I made the front curved piece by "brick laying" pieces of wood (not all mahogany), cutting the curve on the bandsaw, and then veneering the front with mahogany veneer.

For me, projects that incorporate curves always wind up being fairly complex. Before I made this one, I made a prototype in ash - and I'm glad I did. It allowed me to work out some joinery and design issues. Here's the prototype:

I decided to make the front two legs a bit more decorative by "fluting" them. The way I made them was to cut three pieces of mahogany, round one edge, and then glue them back together.

The top was really nerve racking. I routed out the middle, always keeping in mind that I didn't have any more mahogany, and especially mahogany that would match the rest of the table.

It took a fair amount of hand work with carving tools to get the top the way I wanted it.

All I have on it now is a coat of dewaxed shellac. I'll complete the finishing in the next few days. I'm pleased with the way it came out.

Mike

Jim Becker
03-20-2016, 9:45 PM
Beautiful table!

Curtis Myers
03-20-2016, 10:00 PM
Very nice table. I particularly like the fluting on the legs. Excellent job!

John Blazy
03-20-2016, 11:27 PM
Very Nice! I love machining mahogany. Outside the box on your fluting technique.

Ken Fitzgerald
03-21-2016, 12:13 AM
Very nice Mike!