PDA

View Full Version : supermax 19-38 size,weight info

Jim Barstow
03-20-2016, 8:40 PM
I'm considering getting a supermax 19-38 but I'm trying to figure out how to take delivery and install it. We live in a rural area of Mendocino county and have a 1 mile long gravel driveway. Only very small trucks can turn around at the house so I usually have machines delivered to our gate at the main road. In the past, I've called in favors to have a contractor friend meet the truck at the gate and move it up to the house using his truck and crew. I'm running short of favors, however. What I'm wondering is since the 19-38 seems to come in 3 boxes on a palette, what are the sizes and weights of the boxes? Are they manageable with 1 (maybe 2 people) if I handle them separately?

Bill Sutherland
03-20-2016, 8:44 PM
I believe there is a video on a fella unpacking his. I have a long paved driveway but I'm not sure the weight. Two people should be able to handle it. Maybe those straps that are for moving furniture would work well.

John Aperahama
03-20-2016, 9:19 PM
Point of reference would be my 22/44 it runs to 250 odd lbs that is just the unit no base etc assume base could quite easily run to 200 by itself call supermax I am sure they can tell you.
Other than that how about tying a rope onto pallet and dragging it down the gravel driveway condition the drive at same time LOL

Supermax website says the three boxes total 286 lbs

johnny means
03-20-2016, 9:36 PM
Superman 1938?

Curtis Myers
03-20-2016, 9:48 PM
What I'm wondering is since the 19-38 seems to come in 3 boxes on a palette, what are the sizes and weights of the boxes? Are they manageable with 1 (maybe 2 people) if I handle them separately?

I just purchased a 1938 two weeks ago. Three boxes are:
1. Main unit (needed two people to get out of my truck)
2. Stand (not heavy)
3. Conveyer assembly (one person can manage)

I have an I-beam and hoist in my shop. Used it to lift the main unit.

http://www.supermaxtools.com/products/wood/19-38-drum-sander-71938-d/

All the Best
Curt

roger wiegand
03-21-2016, 8:39 AM
The main unit is heavy, it was touch and go for two of us to get it lifted onto the stand (neither of us exactly being Mr. America). You wouldn't want to carry it a mile. I picked mine up at the freight terminal, I find that's generally easier than dealing with waiting for the delivery truck and then trying to unload off a full size semi out in the street while the driver stands around impatiently tossing cigarette butts in my driveway. At the terminal they will load it in my truck and at home I have ramps and such to make unloading relatively painless.

Hoang N Nguyen
03-21-2016, 9:42 AM
I also have the 19-38, the drum head and motor are one piece and that's the heaviest part of the machine. You'll likely need 2 people to move it. You can always meet the truck driver at your gate and ask for his help to load the motor/drum head onto your car and drive it to your house. The rest you can manage on your own.

Jim Barstow
03-21-2016, 11:37 AM
Anybody have size info for the individual boxes? I don't have a pickup, only a smallish suv. Could the biggest box fit in the back?

Hoang N Nguyen
03-21-2016, 1:05 PM
Can't help you there. I got mine as a floor model and just took the stand off. I was able to fit the drum/motor unit into a back of a jeep wangler.

Bill Sutherland
03-21-2016, 3:29 PM
Whoever you buy it from can give you the shipping dimensions.

Kevin McCluney
03-21-2016, 7:36 PM
I bought one of these locally a couple of months ago. The heaviest box (sanding head assembly) is 196 lbs (per the box label) and the conveyor bed box is 45 lbs. I don't have the weight information on the stand, but it's comparable to the conveyor IIRC. The individual boxes should fit into the back of an SUV without a problem - putting all three in at the same time may be an issue.

Wade Lippman
03-21-2016, 9:26 PM
I got a 16/32 in the back of my compact SUV. How difficult could a 18/36 be? Unbox it at the road if necessary.

How long does it take to shovel a 1 mile long driveway?!

ed vitanovec
03-21-2016, 11:37 PM
I just bought this sander and 2 boxes are manageable...30 to 40 pounds each, the third is about 190 pounds. This will fit in a SUV if you have one.

Jim Barstow
03-22-2016, 12:33 AM
Fortunately, no snow in Mendocino county.

chase standifer
03-22-2016, 6:54 PM
I think you could easily fit it in a compact SUV. I assembled my stand then carefully laid the main unit on it's side and screwed the stand on and then stood the whole thing up as a complete unit. It was damned heavy to deadlift up by myself. It is doable with one person but I don't recommend it unless you don't have another choice.

Earl McLain
03-22-2016, 7:27 PM
In reading this thread, with a lot of manufacturers it's tough to get specs beyond the machine weight, and sometimes the shipping weight. I keep thinking about Grizzly's web site--on most of the machines i remember looking at, click on "Spec Sheet" and that lists the number of cartons, dimension and weight of each. Not saying it makes the machines better or worse--just saying it's a nice touch, takes a lot of mystery out of the shipping process.

No matter how you get that puppy down the driveway--you should be happy and i'll be envious!! Shoot, the "no snow" part made me envious!!

earl