PDA

View Full Version : I Need a Dewalt GWI motor fan (desperately)

Dean Kaiser
03-20-2016, 6:59 PM
I have a DeWalt 1950's model "GWI" Radial Arm Saw. Yesterday I was replacing the bearing's in the motor. I was being so dog gone careful. BUT, while trying to get the rear bearing off of the rotor I broke the pot metal fan into three pieces. BAM! just that quick. Made me feel sick to the core. So, I am approaching the forum to see if anyone has one of those fans by chance.

Thanks,

Dean

Matt Day
03-20-2016, 7:25 PM
Post a WTB in the BOYD section of OWWM.

Cary Falk
03-21-2016, 1:45 PM
Good luck, I hope you find one. They were hard to find when I needed one 5 years ago. I think that the same fan is used in the MBF if that helps. Might be easier to fine a saw and scavenge the parts.

Bill Orbine
03-21-2016, 8:38 PM
Maybe it might be better not to just focused on the very specific part for the very specific saw. You could go to motor shop or something and be able to scrounge up something good enough to fit and work from any other motor.

Roy Turbett
03-21-2016, 9:22 PM
Try the Delphi Radial Arm Saw Forum.

Harold Weaver
03-22-2016, 11:22 AM
Dean,
As others have said, you can check with the OWWM guys or the Dewalt forum. Keep in mind, that the GWI can also accept other motors from the Dewalt line. I believe that the motor from the later 1030 will fit as well. You might be better off actually sourcing another motor. The Delphi Dewalt RAS forum is king for this type of info. One other thought, Due to the decline in the RAS popularity over the years, plenty of these old Dewalts are out there for short money. It might be possible to track down another GWI that runs but not necessarily in the best condition, buy it as a parts donor if all else fails. Sort of make one from two. Never hurts to have a few spare parts for one.

John TenEyck
03-22-2016, 1:09 PM
Check with these guys, too: http://www.wolfemachinery.com/dewalt-saws/

John
(http://www.wolfemachinery.com/dewalt-saws/)

kipp yeakel
03-22-2016, 2:38 PM
I wonder if a 3d printed copy of your fan would work? If you cannot find an original replacement part, having one printed, perhaps with nylon filament might be your best bet.

Kipp

Cary Falk
03-22-2016, 2:55 PM
I wonder if a 3d printed copy of your fan would work? If you cannot find an original replacement part, having one printed, perhaps with nylon filament might be your best bet.

Kipp

That is a pretty good idea. I don't know about this forum but I know another forum where a member has a 3d printer.