PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 209HH Belt Issue

Jay Gargiulo
03-20-2016, 7:18 AM
I recently bought a Powermatic 209HH. It has been great so far, a huge upgrade over the DW735 that I have been using for the last 5 years but I started noticing a heated plastic kind of smell when it was running. At first I thought it might be a wiring issue but it was actually coming from the belts. I took off the cover and saw that the belts have been shedding small pieces of rubber. Is this a normal thing when breaking in a large new machine (this is the first real beast I've owned) or could there be an issue with how it was set up, i.e. too much tension on the belts? I didn't see any tears or fraying and the machine doesn't make any extraneous noises when it is running.
Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Alan Heffernan
03-20-2016, 7:42 AM
I have one too and it is normal to see some of that wear in debris there.

I make sure they are tensioned properly and don't worry about it. I am betting you know that there's a section in the operating manual that covers that topic. You cannot assume they came adjusted properly out of the box. After some breakin it is a good idea to tighten them up.

BTW, the primary figure in their manual on adjusting the table rollers, chip breaker, and pressure bar is incorrect. Ignore the first introductory figure/drawing on that topic and refer to the individual paragraphs for the proper specs.

Jerry Bruette
03-20-2016, 9:43 AM
If I'm understanding you, the machine is brand new?

If that's the case then yes some debris from the belts is common.

I would keep an eye on the belt tension as they'll loosen up after a while and need tightening.

If you hear them squeal at startup you know they are way too loose.

Jay Gargiulo
03-20-2016, 12:35 PM
Thanks guys. I will keep an eye on the belt tension going forward.

Mike O'Keefe
03-20-2016, 1:10 PM
Jay Nice Planer. Did you check the alignment of the motor pulley and cutterhead pulley?? Just a thought Mike O'Keefe