PDA

View Full Version : What colour should I paint my workshop walls?

Hasin Haroon
03-20-2016, 2:30 AM
I've recently received permission from my partner to set up shop in a large room in the basement. I'm almost done building a small roubo and envision a mostly hand tool shop although I will be moving my machinery in too. I would like to achieve a historical wood shop look...think the shop used by frank strazza as seen on youtube. Any ideas for a good colour for such a theme? I realise this is unusual but I'd appreciate any input.

Rick Potter
03-20-2016, 2:34 AM
White semi gloss, because you want reflected light to help you see well in the shop. Good lighting is important, especially in a basement shop.

Sam Puhalovich
03-20-2016, 7:09 AM
+1 White Semi Gloss.

I've just painted my basement ... there was a 'thread' here several months-ago that promoted an 'argument' for semi-gloss 'bone'.
At the time, it seemed like a good argument ... and I painted the walls bone.
While the paint itself looks good ... and I'm not altogether happy with the resulting color reflection ... so I've done very little with putting 'stuff' back on-the-walls.
I may splurge and re-coat with semi gloss white.

Charles Wiggins
03-20-2016, 8:51 AM
For me, shop space is just another tool. I don't care what it looks like, I want to serve my needs.
I used a flat ultra white and 5000K fluorescent lights, which gives me a well lit shop and color tones similar to outdoor light. Very important during finishing.

334146 334147

Mel Fulks
03-20-2016, 11:02 AM
If you want semi gloss buy the "gloss". Government meddling has redefined the glossary.

Mike Henderson
03-20-2016, 2:37 PM
I painted mine the color of sawdust at the insistence of SWMBO:). But white is probably a better choice.

Mike

Bruce Page
03-20-2016, 3:27 PM
Practicality and reducing eye strain outweigh historical ambiance, IMO. The older you get the more important good lighting becomes. The walls & ceiling of my shop are semi gloss white, I wouldn't want it any other way.

Peter Aeschliman
03-20-2016, 6:52 PM
Hasin, what kind of wall surface do you have in the shop? Is it all poured concrete? Cinder block? Half framed wood, half masonry?

One way to simultaneously achieve the goals of a classic-looking shop AND good light, would be to go for a board and batten look, and paint it all white. Or maybe you could put up some pine tongue and groove, and paint it white.

Check out Joshua Farnsworth's shop. He went with the board and batten look and painted it all white. I think it looks great and does a great job of reflecting light.

https://youtu.be/-7MW0Flwg40?t=2m13s

If you have a half concrete, half wood wall, you could do this look for the upper portion, and simply paint the concrete part the same color.

Just a thought. I'm with you- I DO care wht my shop looks like. I think aesthetics can influence our mindset and inspire us to do good work rather than rushing through things. My shop isn't just a utility space to me. It's an escape. It's a place to create art. It's not a assembly line where I only care about efficiency- that's the kind of thinking I apply to my day job, and my shop is where I go to forget about all of that. But to each his own! That's the joy of this hobby- you can do whatever you want!

Malcolm Schweizer
03-20-2016, 8:36 PM
I would love to have Joshua Farnsworth's shop, but in my opinion the white is TOO white.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?ebc=ANyPxKqk9S-PC8LYEXq5mSB4GpYHSizBr3GyDDTG38gEYl5Z0zrJUDrTec6KZ AgC1ZGsYypA6aYr4zN4b7bqLspScmbbA2HXeg&v=D3NW75a9qjE

I do love the "Shaker Blue" trim work. Personally I would go with a very pale yellow with white trim. It makes it a bit less stark, but reflects plenty of light in natural color temperatures. Here is my living room- same colors. The only lighting in this photo is two 60w equivalent led 2700k lights on the opposite wall.

Hasin Haroon
03-21-2016, 12:53 AM
I love this shop! I agree with you Peter, that's exactly how I feel too. It's in a finished basement, so is drywalled. Doesnt get much external light, and has fluorescent lighting. I wanted a deep colour that would reflect a more historical ambience, but it looks like white is the consensus. Your link is a good compromise, I just need to think of how to achieve this now!

Peter Aeschliman
03-21-2016, 1:34 AM
Perfect- you're starting from a good spot. I think he put the battens up over drywall, nailing them in to the stud locations. He touches on it briefly in this video. It will take a bit of patience to lay everything out, but I think it looks awesome.

He goes into it a bit in the later part of this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tqkLyIvaRw

Steve Milito
03-21-2016, 9:57 AM
Flat white or slightly off white. Flat paint has less hot spotting.

Ben Rivel
03-21-2016, 11:14 AM
I went all flat white. May go over it someday with white semi-gloss, but IMO as long as its all white its good as you get the benefit of light reflection lighting up the area better.

Don Jarvie
03-21-2016, 1:01 PM
I suggest a light color. I painted mind a very light cream and it's very sterile. If I ever repainted it will be a light color to add some warmth. For what ever color use semi gloss. Flat paint tends to let dust stick to it.

Rick Potter
03-21-2016, 1:26 PM
Hasin,

You mention liking a deep color. Here is my experience: In my family room which is a light tan color, there is a 4' deep alcove that used to be a wet bar. It was the perfect size for my roll top desk. We painted the alcove in a deep maroon for contrast with the rest of the family room.

The dark color just sucked up the light. There were two old recessed fixtures in the alcove, and I tried several kinds of lights, but never had enough light to work at the desk. I also put a bankers light, AND a swivel arm light near the desk....still not enough. Remember this is a 4' deep , 9' wide alcove, open to the family room.

After years of putting up with it, I finally got two 12" square LED (1700 Lumens each) flat panel lights from HD, and installed them where the original fixtures were. We now have good light for the desk.

It was unbelievable just how much light that dark color sucked up.

Bill Conerly
03-22-2016, 1:38 AM
How about pin stripes? 1 1/2 inch wide, on 16 inch centers. When you need to find a stud, there they are. Blue would be nice. Just be sure to scrub the wall with TSP before you paint; I messed up my paint job and am now waiting for warmer weather to re-do it.

Hasin Haroon
03-22-2016, 2:26 AM
Thanks Rick. I think I will go with a light colour, looks like white is the consensus and no way the collective wisdom is wrong!

Sean Shannon
03-26-2016, 7:50 AM
I'm outta of the normal. I don't care for the white semi gloss standard. Adequate lighting will make up for the lack of stark white colors in your shop.

Mine is painted a pale blue gray. I'm happy with it.

Brian W Smith
03-27-2016, 5:52 AM
I also can't do white.Where ours is finished drywall,little over 10' ceiling...very lite tan,upper with gray/green dado section,cap rail(stole the gray green from VMI,Lexington Va).All of the storage units and shelves are the gray green as well.

Jerry Olexa
03-31-2016, 12:06 PM
WHITE....It will brighten the space and enhance light