PDA

View Full Version : Cal-Hawk 6" jointer barely starts

Alan Muller
03-19-2016, 10:41 PM
I have a Cal-Hawk 6" jointer with a date of 1992. It's pretty much the generic Taiwan clone of a 60s Delta-Rockwell machine and is much like this Harbor Freight machine except for lacking the chip chute parts: http://images.harborfreight.com/manuals/30000-30999/30289.pdf

The motor is tagged 1 hp 7/14 amps.

I'm satisfied with the machine except that the motor can barely start, and sometimes will not start in cold weather. Power seems OK once running. I've checked the on-off switch and the capacitor. Things turn freely and the belt is not excessively tight. The supply circuit is good. I haven't opened the motor up.

So, am wondering if this a common problem. Any suggestions? I have other motors I could try but they are open frame types and would not be ideal for this application--under a shower of chips and dust.

Thanks for any guidance.

Alan

Mike Henderson
03-19-2016, 10:47 PM
I'd change the start capacitor and make sure the motor and everything it drives is well lubricated. It sounds like the motor does not have enough torque in cold weather to get the machine going, or there's a lot of resistance to rotating when the machine is cold, or a combination of both.

You could disconnect the belt and see how the motors starts (unloaded) when it's cold. Might help you diagnose what the problem is.

Mike

David L Morse
03-20-2016, 11:36 AM
In addition to everything Mike has already recommended here are a couple more things you might want to look at:

1) You listed two different current ratings from the motor nameplate. That suggests a dual voltage motor. If you're operating it from 120V check to be sure the motor is wired for 120, not 240 (or 230 or 220, whatever).

2) The parts list for the HF jointer in your link shows a keyed shaft on the cutter head but not the motor. If your motor pulley only uses a set screw on a flatted shaft then check to be sure that the pulley isn't slipping.

Ken Combs
03-20-2016, 11:52 AM
Since you have already checked the cap, the next logical step would be the centrifugal start switch in the motor. You might try just blowing high pressure air through that area of the motor on the chance that sawdust has got onto the contacts. If that doesn't help, remove the motor end housing and examine the contacts and weight movement.

Don Jarvie
03-20-2016, 7:54 PM
What Dave said. Check to make sure it's wired for 110. It's listed under the cap where the wire goes into the motor. The previous owner may have had it wired for 220. If that fine start checking the motor.